Recommended Rockchip SOC?

• I've been looking at the Tinkerboard S, RockPro64 and the Renegade Elite

Which is a better choice currently, RK3228 or RK3399? Which of these devices have generally been most stable/best performing?

I'm just unsure which one of these is the best to device to get at the moment, so any experiences or help would be greatly appreciated.

• I've been looking at the Tinkerboard S, RockPro64 and the Renegade Elite

Which is a better choice currently, RK3228 or RK3399? Which of these devices have generally been most stable/best performing?

I'm just unsure which one of these is the best to device to get at the moment, so any experiences or help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you also looked at Radxa Rockpi4 or Khadas Edge, both based on RK3399?

Their Linux support will be good.

• RockPro64 and Renegade Elite are both from vendors with a long-term proven commitment to Linux support. Khadas are getting better but still seem to focus on Android and simple stuff like designing a case and heatsink that can be paired together seems to escape their design team. Radxa are an unknown quantity at this point in time.

• RockPro64 and Renegade Elite are both from vendors with a long-term proven commitment to Linux support. Khadas are getting better but still seem to focus on Android and simple stuff like designing a case and heatsink that can be paired together seems to escape their design team. Radxa are an unknown quantity at this point in time.

What's particularly interesting with the Renegade Elite is that it has mainline kernel support from Libre Computer already it seems.

I am a bit concerned as to how well these two RK3399 boards can be passively cooled via just a heatsink inside a case. I am still looking for some user feedback and reviews here.

• Playing video doesn't generate much load (as it's hardware decoded) so I would assume it's fine. That's not a promise though :)

I would also assume that any overheating would just throttle the CPU, so it won't get damaged. From what I can tell, the Rockpro64 is currently one of the best options when it comes to single board computers.

• The choice of model depends on what video you want to watch and on what TV. For example, if you have a FullHD TV (not 4K) and you're going to watch options up to 1080p inclusive, and you don't plan to change TV in the next 1-2 years, If you plan to use only LE optimal rk3328 (ARMv8). IMHO I would not begin to spend now money for the outdated model ARMv7 (armhf) rk3288 and similar.

The use of RK3399 is justified if you want maximum performance on Linux (when running other systems in addition to LE), or if you want the maximum performance of graphics subsystem (T860). Note, for full use RK3399 (to use all its power and performance) need a very good cooling system. A sealed plastic case is a bad decision no matter what radiator you install there. Try it yourself, wear a sealed coat and in the summer heat to go running in it on the street. Buy RK3399 and use its features, only 20-30% is not reasonable.

• The choice of model depends on what video you want to watch and on what TV. For example, if you have a FullHD TV (not 4K) and you're going to watch options up to 1080p inclusive, and you don't plan to change TV in the next 1-2 years, If you plan to use only LE optimal rk3328 (ARMv8). IMHO I would not begin to spend now money for the outdated model ARMv7 (armhf) rk3288 and similar.

The use of RK3399 is justified if you want maximum performance on Linux (when running other systems in addition to LE), or if you want the maximum performance of graphics subsystem (T860). Note, for full use RK3399 (to use all its power and performance) need a very good cooling system. A sealed plastic case is a bad decision no matter what radiator you install there. Try it yourself, wear a sealed coat and in the summer heat to go running in it on the street. Buy RK3399 and use its features, only 20-30% is not reasonable.

You read my mind! :)

The main reason I want the RK3399 is for the extra performance in Linux as well as LE as you say, though I want to passively cool it. If this isn't realistic with this SOC then perhaps I should indeed go for RK3328 or a different alternative. The NanoPC-T4 seems to have a compatible metal case that can accomodate a small heatsink... though it may still be that sealed coat in the summer heat as you say.

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?rout…&product_id=237or maybe I'll just go for the Rock64

Thank you for good advice so far!

Edited once, last by nooryani84 (January 15, 2019 at 1:52 PM).

• If this isn't realistic with this SOC then perhaps I should indeed go for RK3328 or a different alternative.

Passive cooling really have any hardware (all Rk3399 rk3328 etc). The main thing is to perform it correctly. Metal body can help with this. But it should be borne in mind that under certain conditions (maximum load on the system and high ambient temperature) passive cooling can not cope with heat dissipation. By the way, even in this metal case, the engineers made a mistake - there is an air outlet on the sides of the body, but there are no holes for air supply to the body. It as in a task for school students about the pool where there are two pipes - on one water flows into the pool, and on another follows. In this case, made only one " pipe "to flow, but there is no" pipe " to enter the air into the body. Therefore, the side holes will only work if you put the case vertically sideways (from the bottom of the entry hole, from the top to the exit). I had to make holes for the air inlet on the rear side , and the output to make the top cover in the area of the radiator. Then passive cooling will work better directly from the radiator. This is more efficient than transferring heat from the radiator to the body and only then to the environment.

• Passive cooling really have any hardware (all Rk3399 rk3328 etc). The main thing is to perform it correctly. Metal body can help with this. But it should be borne in mind that under certain conditions (maximum load on the system and high ambient temperature) passive cooling can not cope with heat dissipation. By the way, even in this metal case, the engineers made a mistake - there is an air outlet on the sides of the body, but there are no holes for air supply to the body. It as in a task for school students about the pool where there are two pipes - on one water flows into the pool, and on another follows. In this case, made only one " pipe "to flow, but there is no" pipe " to enter the air into the body. Therefore, the side holes will only work if you put the case vertically sideways (from the bottom of the entry hole, from the top to the exit). I had to make holes for the air inlet on the rear side , and the output to make the top cover in the area of the radiator. Then passive cooling will work better directly from the radiator. This is more efficient than transferring heat from the radiator to the body and only then to the environment.

Perhaps the Rock64 would be a better choice.. I'm beginning to get the impression that RK3399 will run too hot for LibreElec or other Linux distros with these smaller cases. What are the currently recommended rockchip SoC for 4k60fps?

• If passive cooling is performed well, there should be no problem with KODI running on rk3399.

• For a small case, I think the RK3328 should be good enough for 4K 60fps with HDR?
    • The next question is which device is the best for RK3328.. Currently I've seen the Renegade, Rock64 and maybe the Rock960.