Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

• It's very unlikely you can hear a difference between HD audio formats and LPCM :)

I‘ve definitely heard a difference between Kodi using LPCM and my UHD-Blu-ray-player sending untampered audio data to my AVR.

It was the same discussion with CD players. Should the connection between player and AVR be analog or digital?

In case your AVR has a very lousy DAC you should use analog. In all other cases the last link in the chain should do the decoding/converting. That generally gives the best results.

The same goes for Kodi. It should leave audio untampered.

• how can a NUC decode audio same then a 1k AV.

Very easily. If you extract the same .rar archive on a $10000 computer and on a $100 computer - the extracted content of the archive will be bit-identical on both PCs.

Same goes with lossless audio formats.

Those HBR audio formats like DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or flac are merely a lossless compression of data. It makes no difference where the decompression takes place. Bitstreaming and decoding to LPCM are just 2 different methods of delivering the same audio data to the AVR.

Bitstreaming makes sense on those devices that for whatever reason cannot decode the above mentioned formats. Since Kodi can do a lossless decode of any HBR format - the absence of bitstreaming should never be an issue.

Edited once, last by smp (March 16, 2021 at 9:40 PM).

• smp you are forgetting that kodi/ffmpeg aren't able to decode the object-based Dolby Atmos or DTS:X (sub-)streams - AFAIK there are no open source decoders available for that.

Without passthrough you only get the core TrueHD or DTS streams that ffmpeg can decode - only AVRs and TVs can support all features of these sound formats, so HBR audio passthrough isn't just a niche feature.

so long,

Hias

• I can definitifly hear the difference between kodi LPCM and my AVR decoding a DTS-HD or TrueHD audio track from a proper made audio track, but that could be just me, because i am nearly blind and have really good hearing.

What kodi can not do with LPCM is any Atmos (with TrueHD or EAC3 core) or DTS:X track. So i need passthrough e.g. for Netflix and/or amazon playing out Atmos tracks EAC3 encoded. The same goes for Atmos or DTS:X from any BD or UHD BD.

• It's very unlikely you can hear a difference between HD audio formats and LPCM :)

However it's entirely possible that you can hear the difference between an AVR decode that also has the right metadata available to it to assist in additional processing (DialNorm, dynamic range compression information etc.) that is present in the bitstreamed version and an upstream decode to PCM where that metadata is discarded and not available to the AVR.

Dolby and DTS audio streams contain that metadata to allow the AVR to 'know' more about the audio than just the basic audio stream content.

The other big difference is that Atmos and DTS:x aren't carried as basic PCM - so that's another major reason to favour bitstreaming/passthrough over PCM decode upstream.

• Thanks, I just tested and ran the live/run version on USB.

However I don't get any HDR output on my tv.
    When I run Kodi in Windows my tv does recognized the HDR input so I would assume there is nothing wrong my connection setup (nuc -> onkyo -> tv)

I have a Nuc i5 (NUC7i5BNB)

Onkyo TX-NR676E

Samsung Q90

• Thanks, I just tested and ran the live/run version on USB.

However I don't get any HDR output on my tv.
    When I run Kodi in Windows my tv does recognized the HDR input so I would assume there is nothing wrong my connection setup (nuc -> onkyo -> tv)

I have a Nuc i5 (NUC7i5BNB)

Onkyo TX-NR676E

Samsung Q90

I don't think that hardware is supported with the current HDR builds

• Can you try a build from this post? It was compiled with drm-tip kernel, it include HDR support commits for LSPCON chips.

Yes, that one is working.
    Haven't tested it properly yet though but I did saw the HDR icon show up on my tv.

But for future reference/updates which version of this should I be on the lookout. Because there are several builds in this topic?

• Yes, that one is working.
    Haven't tested it properly yet though but I did saw the HDR icon show up on my tv.

That's good news. You are the first one who reported a working HDR on older LSPCON hardware. It looks like that NUC has MegaChips MCDP2800BC LSPCON.

I uploaded an updated image.

- Linux kernel 5.12-rc4

- Kodi e04f7d6

Everything else is identical to a build from post #494.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzhtzkg2uyik…089.img.gz?dl=1