Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

• I got rid of my NUC8i3 and now rocking a gemini lake ODROID so can't test the LSPCON patches for you. My dad has the NUC8i3 at his place but I can't easily access it till i'm over there.

PlatypusW .. any luck with it?

smp this build is based off kodi v19 beta1?

I’m in the same boat as you, completely forgot about all of this until randomly coming to check here today. I’ve been using an odroid n2+ since they came out and have since moved from worrying about hdr on intel/Linux to what devices I need to playback (mkv) dolby vision now :D

If I have time I might dig out my nuc and give it a go though.

• Nekromantik be careful as that one might not have support yet where as you can find Gemini Lake NUC's for less as they are older and they work.

I didn't realize I could get an intel NUC with Gemini Lake still so I "built" one using the ODROID H2+ board which now I regret as you can just go with an intel one that looks nicer ... but alas it is what it is and it works. Testing out your latest build smp and figuring which limited addons are updated and which ones aren't yet.

EDIT: I compared video quality of this build compared to my Vero 4k+ and its not even close, the Vero 4k+ is superior. Its as if I'm watching the movie in a smokey room. A white haze, colors are not as bright and "popping". Its triggering HDR on my tv but is it really using the metadata ? Tomorrow I'll install winblows on the box and test out that build of v19.

Edited 3 times, last by pletopia (December 5, 2020 at 3:27 AM).

• I see no video quality issues. A "white haze" usually means incorrect black level.

Yep - desaturated video levels also happen if YCbCr content is handled in the incorrect level space.

'White Haze and Desaturated" can also describe HDR Rec 2020 content displayed incorrectly in SDR and/or Rec 709 level space without tone mapping.

• I'm just noting what I noticed using this build to play two sample HDR files vs the same files on the Vero 4k+. My GF was watching me test out the builds and noticed the same thing. This was done on the same TV and everything including same HDMI port and everything. I literally plugged one in and tested files, swapped box'es to same HDMI port and played again. HDR setting triggered on TV but looked off.

• Nekromantik be careful as that one might not have support yet where as you can find Gemini Lake NUC's for less as they are older and they work.

I didn't realize I could get an intel NUC with Gemini Lake still so I "built" one using the ODROID H2+ board which now I regret as you can just go with an intel one that looks nicer ... but alas it is what it is and it works. Testing out your latest build smp and figuring which limited addons are updated and which ones aren't yet.

EDIT: I compared video quality of this build compared to my Vero 4k+ and its not even close, the Vero 4k+ is superior. Its as if I'm watching the movie in a smokey room. A white haze, colors are not as bright and "popping". Its triggering HDR on my tv but is it really using the metadata ? Tomorrow I'll install winblows on the box and test out that build of v19.

yeah hopefully its supported soon after

• smp what video player settings do you use? Off a clean install, with default settings I was getting video stuttering with panning scenes so I enabled "Adjust display refresh rate" option. This fixed the video but not i seem to get dropped audio from time to time. I don't want to enable "sync playback to display" because then i lose passthru audio.

I dont' think I was seeing this with LibreELEC-GBM.x86_64-9.80-devel-20200830050448-6063236.img.gz but i'll re-install that one later today and test it out.

• "Adjust display refresh rate" should be enabled, "sync playback to display" disabled.

I don't have any audio issues but I don't have an AVR either.

• Vero and other Amlogic boxes default to YCbCr 4:4:4 (4:2:0 for 4K 50/60Hz).

In my build the Intel driver default to RGB full.

It is possible that your TV does not set the correct black level for RGB full.

I can compile a build that will output YCbCr instead of RGB and you can test if it will improve the PQ.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w69p0zxmall5…bCr.img.gz?dl=1

You shouldn't force the colorspace, the Intel driver will select it itself. Is there a reason you are doing it?

• smp what video player settings do you use? Off a clean install, with default settings I was getting video stuttering with panning scenes so I enabled "Adjust display refresh rate" option. This fixed the video but not i seem to get dropped audio from time to time. I don't want to enable "sync playback to display" because then i lose passthru audio.

I dont' think I was seeing this with LibreELEC-GBM.x86_64-9.80-devel-20200830050448-6063236.img.gz but i'll re-install that one later today and test it out.

Does upnp services work for you?

• Is there a reason you are doing it?

The Intel driver would always select RGB limited for a TV.

I force "RGB full" for my personal builds to work around a buggy "HDMI Black Level" setting on my Samsung 4K TV (it can randomly switch from "Low" to "Normal").

Edited 4 times, last by smp (December 6, 2020 at 7:28 PM).

• The Intel driver would always select RGB limited for a TV.

I force "RGB full" for my personal builds to work around a buggy "HDMI Black Level" setting on my Samsung 4K TV.

I'm also not sure how to deal with 4K 50/60Hz deep color modes since the Intel driver prefer RGB 8-bit. Should the driver be hacked to force 4:2:0 12-bit? For now I just enabled dithering for 8-bit modes.

I compared the RGB (standard version) with the YCbCr version and the RGB was darker and less color information when i compared with my LG OLED55 C8. I prefer the YCbCr for sure. I checked the dark scene of new Lion King .

• "Adjust display refresh rate" should be enabled, "sync playback to display" disabled.

I don't have any audio issues but I don't have an AVR either.

Yeah, my setup has a Denon AVR in between the LE box and my Vizio tv.

After football is over i'll test out the old build because I don't recall it having an audio issue but I rarely used it as I can't integrate it with my networked/shared Kodi environment for now.

Edited once, last by pletopia (December 6, 2020 at 8:26 PM).

• smp you said you don't use an AVR. So you just use your tv's speakers?

In my testing today. I can confirm the audio glitch is present in the September build too. Its only present if you bitstream your audio. If i disable pass-thru audio it works flawlessly however if i enable it i get random audio glitches of either missing audio for a half second (one time it occurred even for longer) or occasionally i get a "pop". I've never come across this before with any other hardware or software. My next test will be to just install a stock LE image on this hardware and see if it occurs too.