Netflix

• Nobody having issues with Netflix addon ?

• Hi I run Libreelec on RPi 3B+.

Today I installed the netflix add on.

First had problems with audio out of sync and stuttering video.

After trying different settings. It works.

Can play 1080P DD+ and Atmos!!!!! netflix content.

Amazing...

Weird was that I had to enable "Enable VP9 profiles" in Netflix addon settings.

What has netflix todo with VP9?

Other important settings:

Netflix addon settings:

Enable "Enable Dolby Digital Plus"

In system/player settings

Disable "Sync playback to display".

• Some measurements of smooth playing 1080p 24fps with atmos video (6 underground) from netflix.

LibreELEC:~ # more /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

LibreELEC:~ # /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

temp=73.1'C

LibreELEC:~ # iostat -c 2 2

Linux 4.19.106 (LibreELEC) 08/10/20 _armv7l_ (4 CPU)

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle

43.61 0.36 2.15 0.07 0.00 53.81

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle

48.86 0.13 2.54 0.00 0.00 48.48

My RPI 3B+ has small cpu cooling and set the force_turbo=1.

RPI is running 1,4 MHz so no overclocking.

I am happy !!!!

Regards

• Some measurements of smooth playing 1080p 24fps with atmos video (6 underground) from netflix.

Nice to hear. I haven't run the addon since it forced to sd res. So I will give it a try. I always thought most a53 socs could do 1080p in netflix addon as long as it was under 30hz in libreelec or coreelec. I think there were even posts in the rkchip on some hitting 1080p24p too. But not 1080p60hz. That was too much for older quad socs to get a true 1080p netflix rating support. I know that even my s905x3 tv box with an a55 soc wasn't enough when I last run the addon. It couldn't watch without stutter any 1080p60hz in netflix like tiger king for example. But 1080p 24p flicks ran just fine tho. In comparison My rpi4 a72soc could chew thru 1080p60hz just fine no hiccups.

• Did some testing again. Still don't understand the behavior of the inputstream setting. I select streams manually now.

Whether a stream is playable depends on the bitrate of the stream.

Most 1080p videos without HD audio have around 700kbit/s rate vp9 decoded streams. These I can play fine. processor load is around 40%.

More then 750kbit/s results in stuttering.

So I think it is still fine. But just misses that small bit for the full netflix experience.

We need hardware decoding. Otherwise it is impossible. I think popularity will decrease as a media player when there is no license agreement to hardware decode for online streaming like netflix.

I am going to try the chromium browser route. See where this ends.

Edited once, last by pm80mkll (August 14, 2020 at 7:49 AM).

• Shield TV,

I bought a shield TV, according to me RPI will not be sufficient for netflix (4K with atmos) .... Unless DRM is arranged to allow hardware decoded playback by Pi

• RPi 4 4GB RAM running at 3840x2160p 60Hz on the Kodi menu. My goal was to get 4K Netflix working.

I've not been successful. 1920x1080 @ 23.976fps with inputstream.adaptive.h264.decoder(SW) on Netflix is the best that seems to be available at the moment (image quality is great by the way). 1920x1080@60fps works great on YouTube and Twitch via mmal-h264(HW) decoder.

I've done a bit of experimenting with different sources (internet vs local network) and codecs for some general understanding of the Pi4's capability. The sample clips here were super helpful Samples - Official Kodi Wiki . It seems that 2160p video (aka 4K) is not feasible on the RPi4 at the current time.

I believe in the code wizards out there (some of the sample vids via my local network were close to playable ~10-15fps). Perhaps with some overclocking and much better cooling, I might get there. Currently, I have a very basic heatsink and I'm sometimes hitting the 80C threshold. I have a new full aluminium case with heatsink showing up tomorrow. We'll see.

In summary, RPi4 and Kodi handles 1920x1080 with relative ease across different video platforms and codecs. 3840x2160 seems to be limited to the Kodi menu. Good thing my TV upscales quite well from 1080.

• Netflix 4K requires Widevine L1 certification for the device. You can use Android or AppleTV, or a very select number of proprietary Linux based devices that are certified. Kodi on Linux (e.g. LE) fakes an L3 cert which can normally get 1080p, but nothing more.

The problem is that when I try to start then any movie it's showing me loading circle two times and then comes back to the addon without starting movie.

Hi,

i have exactly the same issue as has been mentioned in the first post. After installing latest stable KODI version LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.6.img.gz and netflix add on from Castagna IT repositary 1.11.0 i cannot play any netflix video.

• @nepenthes

I have the same issue with the same version of LibreElec 9.2.6:

Logs from /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

Code
    Creating InputStream
    ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting /usr/lib/kodi/addons/inputstream.adaptive/
    ERROR: AddOnLog: InputStream Adaptive: Unable to load widevine shared library (/storage/.kodi/cdm/libwidevinecdm.so)
    ERROR: AddOnLog: InputStream Adaptive: OpenDRMSystem failed 
  • and here is mine log: