LibreELEC 9.0 Reborn Remix [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify | MakeMKV ]

• I. Introduction

I really enjoyed Escalades LE 8.0 Remix but if you look into detail the 8.2.x base is pretty outdated. I've felt it's time to rebase the Remix build. The LE team overhauled the build system and there are pretty usefull features like git handler scripts that make it easier to build stuff without downloading the source everytime. I also wanted to take advantage of new Kodi 18 features and finally beeing able to watch my Amazon Prime VOD without using Chrome everytime.

I know there is ongoing work to integrate RetroPlayer but IMHO this Kodi feature will never be able to compete with standanlone emulation frontends like Retroarch or Retropies Emulationstation fork. Also even the latest available Dolphin libretro-core lacks features of the standalone version and since the develeopers dropped DolphinWX support I had to find a solution for this problem. So here we are, I rebased, updated and adjusted the packages for LE9.0-devel, added QT support for DolphinQT and fixed some non working stuff.

As far as I can tell everything works as fine as the recent LE9 Alpha or nightly builds. Kodi 18 has it first beta releases, Retroarch, Emulationstation-Retropie and also every emulator is tested and works so far, inputstream.adaptive is included and Amazon VOD also works like a charm.

I personally use these builds on 4 systems for daily usage so it should be suitable, beside some edge cases, for most users too.

II. Currently supported & unsupported devices

Supported:

• Generic AMD & Intel systems with IGP and/or discrete AMD or Nvidia GPU
    • Khadas Vim (Amlogic S905X) - Testbuilds available
    • Raspberry Pi 2B, 3B, 3B+

Currently unsupported:

• Rockchip based devices -> need a testing device first

III. Important Notes

• Read the FAQ
    • You'll need a system partition size >512MB for generic builds - to avoid conflicts I would recommend a clean install.
    • Updating LE9.0 alpha builds, i.e. LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0), should work fine for RPi.
    • Updating escalades LE8.2 builds can work but is not supported.
    • This fork is build for Emulationstation-Retropie & Retroarch, not Retroplayer nor Kodi-Game add-ons. You can still download and install them but they are not supported by me.
    • All included emulators are tested on generic Intel & RPi3 systems with at least one game and run fine. So read the FAQ

IV. Bug reports / How to ask for support:

If your problem exists on regular LibreELEC then create a new thread. That means you should compare with regular LE9.0-devel if possible. Please include a debug log with all bug reports as this greatly increases your chances of anyone taking an interest in your issue.

Bug reports without a suitable log will often be ignored - no debug log, no issue - or at best will take much longer to be investigated.

V. Downloads

VI. Project

GitHub - 5schatten/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI

d2X5gOW.jpg

VII. Note of thanks

Well I highly appreciate the effort and work of the LE team, escalade, the guys behind all the libretro cores, Retroarch and emulators, the team that forked and updated Emulationstation and all that I forgot. If you like my builds feel free to drop me a line and or donate some bucks to a project you prefer to keep things going!

• Features of LibreELEC 9.0 Reborn Remix 1

Addons & tools included in generic x86-64

Minor features

Milhouse Patches

• Include [env] patch: kodi: remove annoying, excessively repetitive addon logging
    • Include [env] patch: rev hack for kodi
    • Include [env] patch: Add kodi binary addons (pvr, adsp, inputstream, vfs, other)
    • Include [env] patch: HACK: Disable multiple PVR addons during migration. Always enable inputstream.* and os.*
    • Include [env] patch: Bump included addon versions to prevent online updates

Updated driver versions

Updated daemons & components

Emulator Frontends

Emulators included in all builds

Emulators included in generic x86-64 builds

Emulators included in Khadas Vim builds

Emulators included in RPi2 & RPi3 builds

1 Current state of git commits, upload of new builds may pending.

2 Alternative emulator for low-end generic systems and/or default for RPi.

3 It can be very laggy and buggy on RPi based systems, but some games work.

• Changelog:

Alpha builds:

Beta builds:

• to-do-list:

• You found some flaws? → bugfixing
    • You've got a hint? → optimization
  • How to's | Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

I. Keyboard buttons in different apps

• Kodi shutdown menu = S
    • Kodi context menu = C
    • Spotify exit = Alt+Esc
    • Emulationstation menu = RCTRL
    • Emulationstation exit = Alt+F4
    • Retroarch menu = F1
    • Retroarch exit = RCTRL
    • Dolphin exit = Alt+Esc
    • PCSX2 exit = Alt+Esc
    • Amiberry menu = F12
    • Amiberry joystick/mouse switch = F11
    • FS-UAE menu = F12
    • VICE menu = F12

II. Emulationstation / Retroarch

Once I've added new cores to my build you have to update your es_systems.cfg! The easiest way to do this is to delete the old file and apply the new update (again). Then the latest file version will be installed.

You want to test the frontends? You've got no games around?

Well there are 2 "built-in" games that should work out of the box. A Bomberman clone & 2048 are included in Retroarchs playlist and can be activated in Emulationstation too.

ROMS:

Out of the box Emulationstation will look for roms in /storage/roms so place your roms according to the emulator in the subfolders:

Bios:

Some of the emulators will probably need bios files to run properly. Some need to be placed in the folder /storage/roms/bios/ while some need an extra subfolder where it is necessary to place specific files. Also some need to be placed directly inside of the rom folder of the emulator. Of course you have to dump them yourself from your emulation hardware.

KMS:

By default RA will run in KMS mode on Intel GPUs for most emulators.

III. Sound

RPi should work out of the box if not check this out. Nevertheless to have proper sound output in emulators, chrome or spotify on generic systems you'll have to edit a config file called asound.conf.sample and save is as asound.conf

IV. Custom Skins

If you prefer a custom skin and want to start the apps & emulator frontends you'll have to find a way to execute the following scripts.

V. Dolphin

If you look for common information how to properly set up Dolphin have a look at these websites

VI. ScummVM

You can start this emulator either by retroarch or emulationstation but to do this for the latter you have to prepare a file inside of each game folder according to the game.

VII. Moonlight

If you own a Nvidia GTX 600/700/900/1000 series GPU that is NVIDIA GameStream ready you will be able to stream your games from your gaming system straight to your HTPC. It's not as comfortable to setup as the broken Kodi addon but games will be streamable by Emulationstation after the first time setup.

VIII. DosBox

If you want to play dos games you have to prepare your DosBox first.

IX. PCSX2

Before you launch PCSX2 get the Kodi Docker addon. Once it's installed start Emulationstation and run the PS2 game you want. If you run PCSX2 the first time you have to wait until the Docker image of 1.3GB size is downloaded in the background so be patient if you have a slow internet connection. You can check out the progress in /var/log/pcsx2.log if you're unsure whats going on.

Read the official Official English PCSX2 configuration guide v1.2.1 if you want to change the default settings according to your needs.

X. FS-UAE / Amiberry

If you have your Kickstarts in place and named them similar as stated in the bios section of the how to your games should work out of the box.

• 5schatten

Changed the title of the thread from “LibreELEC 9.0 Reborn Remix” to “LibreELEC 9.0 Reborn Remix (WIP!)”.
  • Google-Chrome / Spotify enable in RPI2/3 ?

Only for generic builds right now. I'm not sure but Chrome isn't available for raspberry only chromium?

But I can have a look into this.

• I'm sorry, but maybe RPI does not support the applications mentioned, but it would be very cool if it were possible.
    Thank you.

• Inpustream.adaptive is included so if you install your Netflix add-on it should work.

I can compile and include librespot in RPi builds too in next builds so you can try it.

• 5schatten

Changed the title of the thread from “LibreELEC 9.0 Reborn Remix (WIP!)” to “LibreELEC 9.0 Reborn Remix [Emulationstation|Retroarch|DolphinQT |Chrome|Spotify] (WIP!)”.
  • 5schatten

Thank you for doing this! Is it quite usable yet with PVR (tvheadend) and Blu-ray playback? Can I use the MakeMKV addon from your LibreELEC-8.2-Remix?

• andersos

The Generic build works quite fine. I've tested it today and made a clean installation on my Apollo Lake based HTPC. All emulators work fine as far as I can tell, Chrome & Spotify work and should update now automatically, TVheadend+HTS client works and the inputstream.adaptive based Amazon VOD addon too.

I've built and uploaded MakeMKV but I'm not sure if it will work. Looks like the MakeMKV source needs an update since LE9.0 uses ffmpeg v4.0 and that version has some more ore less incompatible changes included. But you can give it a try.

www.makemkv.com • View topic - Build failure with GCC 8? (Fedora 28)

Right now I'm ironing out the last bugs of the RPi build but beside some emulator quirks this mostly works too.

• Wow, this looks awesome. Big thanx for keeping LE Remix alive!

Just a question, could Dolphin be easily exchanged with Ishiiruka?
    Would it make sense to drop Dolphin and build Ishiiruka in LE Remix?

Since it is faster and less cpu consuming.

Will test it soon by myself... but have anyone installed MakeMKV 9.0.0, does it work?
    Would like to watch BluRays inside Kodi.

Update:

Really cool build, fixed two bugs for me at once. Always had problems with my Harmony 700 remote (and used my wireless keyboard instead), when I clicked on up down left right buttons, the cursor skipped one menue point and jumped already to the second. Now the problem is gone.
    Finally TVHeadend is working! Tried everything to get it working, always got the error TVheadend client is not reachable. Now it works out of the box.

What is definitly not working is MakeMKV, tried to play a Bluray: Kodi reboots.

Hope this can be fixed.

Also my favourite Skin is not working with Leia anymore. Is there any skin avaible for Leia which supports customisation of the menue?

Had used Estuary v2 Extended Shortcuts before, now it's incompatible.

Edited once, last by FalconX ().

• Looks amazing! thank you!

Everything seem to work great, besides citra, which is unable to find the system files. (files placed under ~/roms/citra)

Looking at the logs, i'm thinking it might be the double slash ("/storage/roms/n3ds//Citra"), but not sure how to update this path.

• For makemkv there is a fix in the makemkv forum. Search in the Linux section from the forum. I have a working version on my HTPC with one of the latest Milhouse Builds. Maybe 5schatten can bring it inside the build as an addon like escalade.

• For makemkv there is a fix in the makemkv forum. Search in the Linux section from the forum. I have a working version on my HTPC with one of the latest Milhouse Builds. Maybe 5schatten can bring it inside the build as an addon like escalade.

I already patched the MakeMKV addon but I haven't tested it.

ytwig

Look at the how-to / faq section bios. You need to dump some 3DS system files first, or at last for certain games.

Dumping System Archives and the Shared Fonts from a 3DS Console - Citra

FalconX

Well it should be possible though I'm not sure if it's reasonable. As far as I understand Ishiiruka was forked to avoid shader stuttering in the past. Since Ubershaders and Vulkan renderer work pretty fine and fast it shouldn't be necessary IMHO. But sure you can replace the sources and adjust cmake opts and it should compile.

What kind of hardware do you use?

escalade  

Great thx for your help! I'll add the patch and upload a new version soon. I'm struggling to get all RPi emulators working. I already replaced vice for RPi by libretro-vice because of some SDLvideo GLES quirks. Just wondering if currently uae4arm & reicast work fine on your 8.2 build since those just won't work as expected.