Forum Etiquette

• In recent weeks I have noticed that the general behaviour, & rudeness is increasing. It makes me sad. :( Questions are being asked, by people, when they have obviously not searched for the answer. Or, the questions being asked are in the wrong part of the forum.

Unfortunately, people have been responding, to this, by being unhelpful & in some cases rudely.

This forum has grown very quickly, & sometimes, it is not easy to find the answer to a question.

So, bear in mind, the devs are working freely in their own time.

Some of the builds, are alpha, so will not work properly.

But, if you think the question is stupid, then just don't respond, rather than being rude.

• Okay what I find rude is the unwillingness to pass on help here. Every time there's a question about how to get the network sharing working because it's suddenly broken the answers quite often are not answers at all, they are just some vague instruction to go get help somewhere else.
    IF WE KNEW HOW TO DO THAT WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO ASK. It's not difficult to understand this. We aren't asking for extensive lessons on arcane networking procedures, we just need a few tips on what box to tick, etc.

Can someone please create a definitive thread on how to get the sharing working.

• Official Post

The last four major versions of Windows all require different solutions. Then throw macOS and occasionally Linux into the frame. Then sprinkle the three major evolutions of Samba that could be involved. Then mix it up whether LE is the server or the client. So there's 100+ possible combinations of problem and no simple way to provide an answer. Reporting users typically don't provide enough information while responding users chip in with the answer to their problem which may not be the same as the reported problem. Few staff deeply understand how the whole shizzle hangs together and they're not always on-point, and not always perfect either. Any threads started on this topic become definitively confusing rather quickly. Sorry that's not the answer you'd like, but that's the current reality. Hopefully in a couple of years MS stops reconfiguring Windows in each update and there's a more consistent position!

• Not good enough.
    As I made it very clear in my other thread I didn't know the details of what you were talking about and I spent a fair bit of time trying to work it. Everything I looked at just made it more confusing. Much the same thing happened months ago here - No-one was really helping, and the only solution that I could use that finally worked brought cries of horror from members here. "You can't do that!" and "It's not secure!", etc.
    If you aren't actually going to help then please stay out of the thread.

• Billzilla

I somewhat understand Your frustration as there are some remains of "the dark ages" when it comes to configuration that requires usage of a computer and SSH, editing few obscure config-files, text-files and other more or less advanced tasks instead of via a user friendly GUI.

That is an obstacle for many (all?) non-advanced users and limits LE's possibilities for g.r.o.w.t.h. as it makes the learning curve much steeper and might scare away users or give up LE entirely.

(g.r.o.w.t.h. is a forbidden word!!?? Just remove dots ... )

• Official Post

Not good enough.

Really?

Tell that to the billion dollar company with millions of employees and who knows how many developers. I'm sure you've heard of the name Microsoft... They never bothered to make their Samba protocol secure at first, because the typical Windows user had to be pleased with oh so easy network access at home. And see how much WannaCry took advantage of that by hijacking millions of computers worldwide. Only now they bothered to start making necessary improvements by implementing them pretty much silently into Windows Updates.

And today there are various SMB versions, each with their own shenanigans - per operating system - as already outlined, and now the LibreELEC team are suddenly the bad guys? Sorry, but the word "ungrateful" quickly comes to my mind. Yes, LibreELEC is a technical bare-bone Linux solution, which can require some manual configuration. That's the nature of the beast. Maybe, just maybe, it's simply not for you. And that Windows 10 will be a better 'good enough' solution for you where you can click your way out of these network troubles.

• Official Post

Not good enough.

You only have a problem if you used an legacy setup (SMB1 is legacy since release of Win7) that is now deprecated from Windows 10 for very good reasons. If you setup your share properly in W10 (that includes user/pw) then it should work ootb for LE. Sadly there is still an "browse network" Button at Kodi that does only works for the legacy Samba version - that increases the problems at userside.

• Not good enough.

If you aren't actually going to help then please stay out of the thread.

chewitt was trying to explain the complexity behind the issues that have lead to your disatisfaction. Even though it may not have solved the problem that you have faced, your response is somewhat ironic given the title of the thread.

• chewitt was trying to explain the complexity behind the issues that have lead to your disatisfaction. Even though it may not have solved the problem that you have faced, your response is somewhat ironic given the title of the thread.

Not ironic on my part at all. I asked for help. The reply was to do a bunch of things that I didn't really understand, so I asked for a little more help. I got a condescending reply that did not help at all. What's the point of having a help forum if no real help is given?
    As I've said before, if I knew the answers then I wouldn't be asking.