solved SAMBA problem

• LE 7.0.2 on RPi 1B.

My guide.xml file is on a drive on a Windows 10 machine in a shared folder (with everyone R,W).
    The folder is set as a source in Kodi file manager.
    I can navigate to the file in settings for the TVguide app (using 3 different apps).
    The TVguide app cannot read the file.

Another Windows computer running Kodi can read the guide.xml, using the same apps, so it's not a corrupted file.

I ran into the same sort of problem while running a xmltv grabber on the Pi and writing the guide.xml to the Windows machine; I could write the file to the Pi, then copy it to the Windows share via WinSCP, but not write directly.

I have not modified any config files on the Pi. Windows Firewall is OFF. User account set to no warnings. SAMBA enabled. Password protected sharing is off.( why does Kodi ask for SAMBA name & password sometimes? And then not accept them.)

What stupid mistake am I guilty of?

Edited once, last by donbrew (August 13, 2016 at 2:03 AM).

• When I navigate it goes through WORKGROUP. Does it need to be in the conf, also? I renamed samba.conf.sample to samba.conf; I can't reboot right now to see if that did anything.
    The workgroup = WORKGROUP Line is in there.
    [hr]
    It did not help. Thank anyway.

Edited once, last by donbrew (August 8, 2016 at 1:20 AM).

• Yes, I know. But it did not help.

I am trying to read an xmltv file that lives on a Windows drive. LE can read TV shows on the same hard drive; added via the video>files menu, which is also samba.

It may not be me, after all. Another guide is reading it now, just not the one I wanted.

No it didn't, it defaulted to it's internal guide.

Turns out to be the guide I wanted to use, not me or samba!

Edited once, last by donbrew (August 8, 2016 at 7:53 PM).

• Hey,

i have a different problem, but it is samba related too. :)
    I would like to mount a samba share permanently, but i couldn't make it happen automatically at system startup.

I made a config file in "/storage/.config/system.d/", with the following content:
    file name: cifs-nas.mount

[Unit]
    Description=cifs mount script
    Requires=network-online.service
    After=network-online.service
    Before=kodi.service

[Mount]
    What=//192.168.1.5/video/TV_Recordings
    Where=/storage/recordings/nas
    Options=username=xxx,password=xxx,rw
    Type=cifs

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

Than i set to it with the following command:
    systemctl enable cifs-nas.mount

But unfortunately the pi doesn't mount it at startup. It works with the manula mount:
    mount -t cifs -o username=xxx,password=xxx //192.168.1.5/video/TV_Recordings /storage/recordings/nas

Could you please help me out, what can be the problem?

• Have a Samba Problem too, when i want to create a new source and type my NAS Password to go to my Folder, he always asks me for the password again, than i go one step back and I can navigate through my Nas, but when i choose my Movie Folder it doesn't work when i use this as a Category in Main Menu, when I click nothing happens. I think the Reason is my Password Bug.
    The Password is definitely correct, on my pc it works

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

Edited once, last by pollux (August 9, 2016 at 6:23 PM).

• Samba has always been problematic due to master browser & version conflicts, especially in cross-platform situations. If you cannot resolve Samba issues you could try Bonjour (Avahi/Zeroconf). Windows does not natively support the protocol but you can get it free with the iTunes package.

iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple

If you do not want iTunes, Bonjour can be extracted & installed separately. After installing:

Kodi configuration

Settings : Services : General : Device name (whatever)
    LibreElec Configuration / System / Identification / System Name (whatever)
    LibreElec Configuration / Services / Samba OFF (optional)
    LibreElec Configuration / Services / Avahi ON

Use one of these to verify the service is working

Bonjour, Avahi, RPi, Windows… Setup guide | fuzzy01's blog
    Bonjour Browser for Windows
    231901730?pgno=3

Use one of these to browse network resources on Windows

WinSCP :: Official Site :: Free SFTP and FTP client for Windows
    Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows

(In standard network browsing dialogs remember that AFP hosts will have a domain suffix ".local")

Optional: upgrade your desktop OS (if hardware is supported)

Ubuntu GNOME | An official flavor of Ubuntu, featuring the GNOME desktop environment.
    HardwareSupport - Ubuntu Wiki
    UbuntuFriendly - Ubuntu Wiki

Edited once, last by LE23 (August 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM).

• I did solve the master browser issue by changing the samba.conf "smb ports 445 139".. Now I can see libreelec on the Windows network.
    LibreELEC

But now, from Windows I can only get to the folders in /storage, I can't open any of the folders and I can't see any files that I put in /storage.

Tried zeroconf, it presents 2 paths 1) libreelec (samba) and 2) libreelec (sftp). Both of which act exactly like samba.

I can browse the Windows PC using SAMBA from Kodi libreelec.

Winscp works fine.

What I am trying to do is use a xmltv file on the RPi with a tvguide on Kodi Windows. Winscp does not help in that effort.

Would Kodi log that type of event?

• Or turn off local master browser setting.

Manually forcing a decline of master browser status on a single machine is not a permanent fix for all clients in a changing network with guest devices and different operating systems. If you have any more problems, you might try enabling the Samba host + WINS server on your router (or NAS) if the feature is available. Afterwards, reboot the router and then reboot all clients.

This is usually sufficient for Samba clients to accept the router as master regardless of CPU / OS / client version, even if the clients are not configured to decline automatic master browser election. Also configure Kodi to match the router configuration in LE Settings / Services / SMB client and reboot. Zeroconf eliminates all of these steps but if you really need Samba, file sharing without Zeroconf will be more reliable when the router is master.

There is a tool which can verify the master browser; of course Microsoft does not bundle it with the OS and does not display this information in network properties dialogs.

PChucks Network: The Browstat Utility from Microsoft

Edited once, last by LE23 (August 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM).

• Inside the "/storage/.config/system.d/" dir make a sub-directory called "multi-user.target.wants"

Copy "cifs-nas.mount" into "./multi-user.target.wants" (or make a symlink to the main one in "./system.d/")
    i.e. So it matches the [Install] WantedBy= section

The mount should now happen automatically.

Note: I set my system up similarly on OpenELEC ages ago, and it still works fine after migration to LibreELEC. Unfortunately I did it so long ago I can't really remember *why* the [Install] section and sub-dir were required, just that it "Automagically Worked[tm]" doing it that way. Frankly the whole systemd shennanigans just makes my head hurt whenever I try and fiddle with stuff like this

Edited once, last by kurai (August 19, 2016 at 12:32 PM).