S905x support, what is needed?

• I've tried this on Tanix TX5 (non pro) and I can't seem to get it working.

I was able to get it installed and working last night, but the remote wasn't working so I used USB tool to reinstall stock firmware, then tried the same process as last night and I'm no longer able to get LE to boot after install.

Is there anything I should be changing for 8gb version (non pro)?

EDIT: Im guessing it was to do with partition sizes. Anyways I got it to install again by formatting data and then installing.

Still can't get remote to work though, unsure of how to extract remote.conf from stock firmware seeing how I have formatted my storage.

Edited once, last by nadrojcote (October 12, 2016 at 1:24 AM).

• Still can't get remote to work though, unsure of how to extract remote.conf from stock firmware seeing how I have formatted my storage.

I followed user TNS's guide and my remote works fine now in LibreELEC
    (i did extract my remote.conf from stock firmware .. but it did'nt work, but using TNS's attached download, it worked great)

LibreELEC

edit: and i did'nt have to use Kepmap Editor addon ... all buttons functions ok

Edited once, last by Sevren68 (October 12, 2016 at 4:37 AM).

• kszaq,

Just tested your latest development build LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20161011222808-r23378-g763b90a on both M18 (S905) and Mini M8S II (S905X) Android TV box using mSD.

Didn't notice too much of difference on M18 but playback of 4K VP9 as well as 4K H264 videos are now possible on Mini M8S II (on 1080p TV). Unlike build provided by afl1 couple of days ago, CEC is also working.

Thanks for your great work.

• kszaq will you be uploading your source code modifications to your github for the s905x builds? I would be interested in this to compile my own images

I usually don't upload source code for devel builds as my workflow includes lots of rebasing. But you can always request the source: here is the source for the latest development build: 2016-10-11-devel

kszaq,

Just tested your latest development build LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20161011222808-r23378-g763b90a on both M18 (S905) and Mini M8S II (S905X) Android TV box using mSD.

Didn't notice too much of difference on M18 but playback of 4K VP9 as well as 4K H264 videos are now possible on Mini M8S II (on 1080p TV). Unlike build provided by afl1 couple of days ago, CEC is also working.

Thanks for your great work.

One more change that you are able to notice: you can now play Jellyfish test videos up to 400Mbps. :D

• kszaq,

I just tested your latest development build LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20161011222808-r23378-g763b90a

Playback of 4K VP9 30FPS is OK, But Playback of 4K VP9 60FPS is not good.
    AV Sync doesn't fit
    I've also found 4K HEVC 60FPS has same problem.
    af1's build play both OK.

Thanks for your hard work~~~~

Edited once, last by garyang (October 12, 2016 at 9:19 AM).

• One more change that you are able to notice: you can now play Jellyfish test videos up to 400Mbps. :D

I've just tested this last development build and the hevc and especially the hevc 10 bit videos play much better but unfortunately an old bug reintroduced in h264 playing.
    This new build allows me to play even the 400Mbit jf video (its like a slow motion play but drop:0 skip:0)
    I was very excited with the jellyfish test files, but when I tried to play the 4K_HD.Club_Showreel-2013-100mbps.mp4 (h264) video it stops every 1-2 seconds for a moment (the same file plays fine with LE007). Similar problem was in the first LE006 version too.

• Still can't get remote to work though, unsure of how to extract remote.conf from stock firmware seeing how I have formatted my storage.

Couldn't find the remote for the non-pro Tanix TX5, but I have added a few remote confs to this zip. One of them may work.

remote.zip

If people could post their remote.conf and brand of box I will add them to the zip.

For people installing this via TWRP. Here is the 2016-10-11 update zip.

LibreELEC-S905X-gxl_p212_2g-2016-10-11.zip

Edited once, last by pingu (October 12, 2016 at 9:01 PM).

• I've been trying to get this to work on a TX5 Pro all morning but the sticking point is that I cannot find a TWRP that will allow boot from the SD card.

Is there one that has been confirmed as working?

Thanks.

• I've been trying to get this to work on a TX5 Pro all morning but the sticking point is that I cannot find a TWRP that will allow boot from the SD card.

Is there one that has been confirmed as working?

Thanks.

For the TX5 Pro you need to restore firmware version 20160805 PC Upgrade. Newer versions disabled the ability to boot from SD.

Once you have restored version 20160805 this version of TWRP should work (it needs renaming to recovery.img).

Edited once, last by pingu (October 12, 2016 at 1:47 PM).

• kszaq: on your last devel device_trees i can't find gxbb_p200_1G_mxq_pro_4k.dtb anymore? is there a reason or should i take a generic one (gxbb_p200_1G_100M.dtb) or if not then which one please :)

I downloaded and compare the device trees from latest build 20161011 with that of the previous development build 20161003, they are the same. Hence, I would say you can safely use the device tree files from 20161003 without problems.

• I've just tested this last development build and the hevc and especially the hevc 10 bit videos play much better but unfortunately an old bug reintroduced in h264 playing.
    This new build allows me to play even the 400Mbit jf video (its like a slow motion play but drop:0 skip:0)
    I was very excited with the jellyfish test files, but when I tried to play the 4K_HD.Club_Showreel-2013-100mbps.mp4 (h264) video it stops every 1-2 seconds for a moment (the same file plays fine with LE007). Similar problem was in the first LE006 version too.

Pelican, I came to a different test result. I downloaded the 4K_HD.Club_Showreel-2013-100mbps.mp4 video and test it on M18 (S905, both 20161003 and 20161011 builds) as well as Mini M8S II (S905X 20161011 build), playback were all flawlessly under these situations.

kszaq, after testing of almost a dozen 4K VP9 videos on Mini M8S II, I found playback with the latest development build is more jerky than afl1's build on 20161007. This is only noticeable when playback of 'The Curvature of Earth 4K 60FPS', also artifacts were shown on several occasions (forgot to note down the time) whereas there's no artifacts with afl1's build on the same video. For the rest of 4K VP9 videos, playback were fine. I would say 'The Curvature of Earth 4K 60FPS' is the most demanding one with highest bitrate.

Thanks again for your work.

• noted, but wasn't the reason that you made the different devicetree for mxq pro 4k, because it had different partitions?

It turns out that it doesn't matter that much. If you have different stock partition layout you should use installtointernal twice (second and next after reboot) and that way your box will have the new layout.