S905x support, what is needed?

• Once I get my S905X box I will make my builds work. There is no need to create a separate forum for these devices.

Also if someone wants to create a maintained build - with source code, updates and support, I will happily stick the thread.

• Thank you for you afford and time, kszaq.

Unfortunately, I can't get LibreELEC to work on my Mini M8S II. :( The newest image has the SD-Card mount error:

LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160928161332-r23357-g72c2443.img.gz

So I flashed the image someone said here, it works for the M8S II:

LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160915211230-r23341-gb83596f.img.gz

And it boots, but the remote is working, nor a connected keyboard or mouse. Any advice?

Greetings
    m0nKeY

• Confirmed successful boot on Mini MXIII II - just insert SD Card and reboot, no holding of reset button required.

(there is no Wifi/Bluetooth available yet however, which was expected - the driver source code still needs to be obtained for this device)

Confirming the Scishion V88 Pro (S905X, SCISHION V88 PRO TV Box Powered by Amlogic S905X SoC Sells for $22 (Promo)) boots from SD card with that build. Thanks.

• Hi Guys,

I've been watching this with some interest.. Great work, appreciated.

I’ve had a Mini M8 ii for a while now and have to say I’m really disappointed in the quality of the firmware, I brought it to replace an aging S802 KitKat box but so far I’m still using the old box..

I want to give LibreELEC a whirl but I think I could run into issues, the other boxes in the house are all Android, running SPMC 16.4.2 linked to a central MySQL server.

Last time I tried LibreELEC I backed up my SPMC config and tried importing that into LibreELEC but had warnings about incompatible versions, I ignored these and continued however on restart my media library was not found....

SPMC uses MyVideos99 & MyMusic56 I was wondering what you use in LibreELEC and whether I can get all these to play together ?

Database versions - Official Kodi Wiki

Any ideas welcome...

• So I flashed the image someone said here, it works for the M8S II:

LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160915211230-r23341-gb83596f.img.gz

And it boots, but the remote is working, nor a connected keyboard or mouse. Any advice?

Greetings
    m0nKeY

No problems with the remote for me with the M8S II (still with LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160915211230-r23341-gb83596f and probably reversed audio channels).
    Maybe a hardware issue ? Did you copy the dtb ? You should not. I will wait for a final version before i continue with testing and using the m8s II (2G/8G) box.

Well, i like the S905X (with libreelec) so i bought another one but this time the tomato X96 (2G/16G) and will continue exploring on that box now.

P.S.: The reset button for the X96 is inside the AV plug so a tooth pick is probably really needed !

Edited once, last by maxpower (September 30, 2016 at 7:06 PM).

• kszaq! Great work, I've tested your last rom LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160927010649-r23325-g3be647e.img with this dtb gxl_p212_2g.dtb, with a Nexbox A95x s905x 2G/16G, almost perfect, everything works even suspend!!! But can't get any sound!!! In system, audio output, I just have pulseaudio no other choice. If I can be of any help for debugging, just Pm me. Thanks

Edited once, last by sensei73 (October 1, 2016 at 8:44 AM).

• kszaq! Great work, I've tested your last rom LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160927010649-r23325-g3be647e.img with this dtb gxl_p212_2g.dtb, with a Nexbox A95x s905x 2G/16G, almost perfect, everything works even suspend!!! But can't get any sound!!! In system, audio output, I just have pulseaudio no other choice. If I can be of any help for debugging, just Pm me. Thanks

Hi
    I have same box but keep getting error 'could not mount /dev/mmcblk0p1'
    Did you copy the gxl_p212_2g.dtb file to the sd card and leave dtb.img as is?
    Thanks

• All of us who keep track of this forum are aware that these devices do not have any support from the manufacturer, on most of S905X devices Android OS is very poorly build, KODI does not allow autoframerate and often stops working.

LibreELEC enables the use of these devices as high-quality audio-video players.
    We have to appreciate the effort that kszaq is making to create LibreELEC build that runs on a variety of these cheap Chinese devices.
    Also, should be patient and wait for the kszak's build that boot normally on all S905X device.

For all those that can't use latest builds and want to try LibreELEC this is a kszaq's test version that seamlessly boot on Tanix TX5 Pro (S905X 2GB RAM 16 GB eMMC) probably should works normally on all S905X devices.

MEGA

I am using this build from uSD card on my device, works much better than Android + KODI.

• The only devices that have and will have official support are WeTek Hub, Play2 and Odroid-C2.

Support for generic (aka cheap Chinese) S905 devices is planned to be merged to master LibreELEC branch but will remain a community-supported project.

Reason: there can be no official support for devices that does not have vendor support.

• The only devices that have and will have official support are WeTek Hub, Play2 and Odroid-C2.

Support for generic (aka cheap Chinese) S905 devices is planned to be merged to master LibreELEC branch but will remain a community-supported project.

Reason: there can be no official support for devices that does not have vendor support.

Thanks kszaq.

Your work is so appreciated.

Best regards.

Also thanks, kszaq. Great work. But I have the same problem as sensei73. (different box) it is a t95x s905x / 1G RAM / 8G very slow flash.
    used gxl_p212_1g.dtb to install to NAND. Everything is running but Blutooth (not important to me) and HDMI Audio (important to me).

I used dmesg and got the following error that could explain the problem:

Code
    [    3.407865@0] aml_snd_m8_card aml_m8_snd.47: ASoC: Neither/both codec name/of_node are set for (null)
    [    3.416129@0] aml_snd_m8_card aml_m8_snd.47: register aml sound card error -22
    [    3.423277@0] aml_snd_m8_card aml_m8_snd.47: Can't probe snd_soc_card
    [    3.429740@3] aml_snd_m8_card: probe of aml_m8_snd.47 failed with error -22

As sensei73 said - if you need anymore info - just PM me.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andi

• I had a sound issue on a box running Manjaro a while ago, was able to fix it using pactl command, something like
    pactl set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo

Edited once, last by punter (October 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM).

• I did some tests with LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0-devel-20160927010649-r23325-g3be647e.img on tomato x96 and noticed a problem with audio. After some idle time when Kodi is supposed to disable audio instead it gives white noise. It only stops if you start another media file or enable audio "keepalive".
    Also the remote control does not work for kodi just for power on the device so i am off to fetch a working remote.conf. It worked when i started it from the SD card so maybe something happened while "installtointernal" which i had to use 3 times because of a filesystem corruption.
    "installtointernal" worked only when i interrupted the script after the 10 seconds counter was activated and executing it again. So then there was no corrupt filesystem.
    The included remote control is much better than the one with m8s ii because it has more buttons like stop, play, fwd, rwd. It also has a special "kodi" button which might be useful if you use Android.

• Hello everybody,

I'm building firmware for Amlogic s905x media box based on Amlogic sources. And I have same problem with h264 videos with resolution >1080p.
    After some research I found solution. To enable proper hardware decoding need to switch from h264_4k2k decoder to pure h264.

I commented this lines in xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/DVDCodecs/Video/AMLCodec.cpp:

Code
    [code]
    /*if (am_private->video_format == VFORMAT_H264) {
          CLog::Log(LOGDEBUG, "_MY CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder - video_format == VFORMAT_H264");
          if (hints.width > 1920 || hints.height > 1088) {
            am_private->video_format = VFORMAT_H264_4K2K;
          }
      }*/

[/code]

More information can be found here - Amlogic hardware support
    After that change all h264 videos works well.

Still have problem with vp9 support. Do you have solution?

• This is not a solution as it breaks 4K H.264 for S905. Don't worry, I already made a patch that makes 4K H.264 working for both. :) This is the patch, not tested though: KhhG

For VP9 support you need two things: basics to add am-vp9 support: gKdb and this probably won't work just like that. You also need some header parsing/feeding for Amlogic (I'm not sure how it works) - you need to look it up in package/multimedia/libplayer/src/amplayer/player/player_hwdec.c from buildroot: arm-buildroot-2016-08-18-5aaca1b35f.tar.gz and add it to Kodi.

Edited once, last by kszaq (October 3, 2016 at 7:33 AM).