LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

• Starting with GDPR-2 's 8.90.6 build and all CoreELEC builds, the display system has been changed.

You don't need a 'custom' DTB anymore, but you will need to update to the newest DTB available in the SD card root/device_trees folder. All that is required now is a vfd.config file with the appropriate configuration placed in /storage/.config/ or Configfiles from the Samba share.

There is a repository with known and supported boxes, which you can access here: GitHub - arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations: vfd.config - A collection of configuration files for linux devices with a front facing display.

You can see examples from the existing files, and there is an extensive explanation about how this file should be configured.

So essentially, you can do it yourself, as long as you know the configuration of your display. If you do create a new configuration for a box that is not in the list, please create a Pull Request to the repository with the new file, or at least post it here so I can add it for everyone's benefit.

The FD628 Service Kodi add-on has been updated as well, check out the configuration dialog to see the new features.

I'm working on adding support for the front displays that many Android TV boxes come with to LibreELEC.

In Android they always work, but in LE most of them don't. We began changing this with adamg's 8.90.4 release.

So I'm looking for people who have boxes with front displays that don't work at all or work incorrectly in LibreELEC to add proper support for them into future builds.

Currently known boxes that work:

T95m, T95Z, X92, Vorke Z6, Tanix TX3 (mini), ABOX A1 Max.

* If the display works, but you're missing the additional icons (ie. wifi, lan, usb, etc.), first of all make sure that you install the FD628 Display service add-on from the LibreELEC repository.

If you have a model that is not in the list and you'd like to have it supported, I will need the following:

1. Exact model and SoC version of your box.

2. The DTB from the built-in Android. How to extract DTB from Android.

3. Which DTB you are using with LibreELEC.

4. Only if possible, I need to know what display controller chip your device has. You'd have to disassemble it, or find a review where it's disassembled. It's a chip found close by to the display, like this example (only make sure the text on the chip is visible or write it down)

• Great idea.I have Sunwell T95Z Plus 2+16 GB.Display doesnt work using official DTB from 912 folder.Works only partially (clock only, no other icons) using some older DTB provided in LE 8.90 topic.I did "install to internal" but i do have android TWRP backup. Is it possible to extract DTB from this backup or i have to restore android back to device ? Attaching few close-ups of my PCB elements

• tusel

Thanks for the photos. The chip is FD628, in the first pic.

My box, T95m, has the same chip and display (FD628 and the same display).

I believe the Tanix TX3 have the same display, but boxes like the ABOX A1 Max (or A95X R2) and the X92 have different displays.

Sometimes the chips can be FD628 compatible, like HT1628 or something else, but in the end they all work the same way. The main challenge is to figure out the correct configuration the manufacturer used in their implementation.

Again, to get your icons working, you need the Kodi add-on, just go to add-ons and search for 'FD628', it should come up with one result, install it, and you should see the icons.

T95Z is supported, it has been tested and working by other users.

• Currently known boxes that work:

T95m, T95Z, X92, Vorke Z6, Tanix TX3 (mini), ABOX A1 Max.

If you have a model that is not in the list and you'd like to have it supported, I will need the following:

My model X92 (q201 3/32G) is on the list, and have FD628 chip, but...

Running 8.90.4, and installed "fd628 service" Kodi add-on and nothing shows on my display.

What do you need me to send you to get it to work?

Does using differnet dtb images matter? My box runs OK with these images:

gxm_q200_3g.dtb, gxm_q201_3g.dtb and gxm_q200_3g_x92.dtb.
    Im using now gxm_q201_3g.dtb -> no display.

Edit:

Well, I am sorry for bothering you. Solved my problem with changing my dtb image to

gxm_q200_3g_x92.dtb and now my display works same like in Android :)

Edited once, last by Sholander (February 25, 2018 at 2:13 PM).

• Would like to confirm, that using FD628 addon in Kodi Front LCD panel works just fine including all icons.Wasnt aware of existance of this required addon, thanks a lot The Coolest for guidance.Only missing issue (which is not relevant for this topic) on my T95Z PLUS is not working 1GB ethernet in LE (works just fine in android) which i "solved" using Wifi.Great work

• *winks*

Tried the FD628 addon on my T95-max. When enabled for the first time, lcd started working, but stuck on 08:14 pm without any further change. Looks like being freezed (That also appeared earlier when booting into android and rebooting into libreelec again.

Any hints?

• Hi Coolest,

thanks for replying that fast.

1. It didn't blink. (ATM display is black again in libreelec). Looked like it just freezed.

2. Yes, it was 20:14, i just thought this would be 08:14pm outside germany :)

3. I'm using adamg's 8.90.4 build

4. It's gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb