LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

• el_Salmon

First of all, if you're on CE, I suggest you updated to the latest release. The SD card already has all the DTBs on it, so you don't have to look for them at all. There's a device_trees folder on the root of the SD.

Which box are you using?

• The Coolest

I'm running libre 9 on Freesat GTC s905D box and it work good the only problem are the built-in dvb tuners ( i see live tv with an usb dvbt) and the vfd display.

For display please can you see my decompiled dtb, will be an FD650.

Many thanks and regards.

Code
    fd650_dev {
    compatible = "amlogic,fd650_dev";
    dev_name = "fd650_dev";
    status = "okay";
    clk_pin = <0x9 0x47 0x0>;
    dat_pin = <0x9 0x48 0x0>;
    };
  • linch

Please let me know if it works or not.

I have installed LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit

with dtb gxl_p231_2g_dvb.dtb from device three directory inside the libre 8.2.5

put your vfd.conf into /storage/.config

upload openvfd folder into /storage

when i start sh test_led.sh this is the output

sh test_led.sh

i start ./OpenVFDService -dm

and on the display something happen.

this is the link to my display sorry but no possible upload here i don't know why

Code
    https://ibb.co/kn50Ye

Here you can see display without your file it is always with boot charapters

Code
    https://ibb.co/i0nd3e

Thanks for support and suggestions.

Edited once, last by linch (October 2, 2018 at 6:47 PM).

• Yep I thought that was there but your message was timed as 7 hours earlier ?? So looks like just a time zone anomaly with me here in Thailand though the forum threads show my local time okay ??

Anyway I want to publicly thank The Coolest for his tremendous help as I have now got a fully working front display panel on my TX9 Pro box and a fair understanding now of how it all works. Thanks to all the others here too who have given tips and help with this issue, all so very much appreciated.

So in return if anyone needs help with getting their front panel displays working with these LE 8.2. builds then I can offer to try to help you too if I can and save The Coolest's valuable spare time better used in his developing these mods further. Of course I am more familiar with the Tanix TX9 Pro box but many other boxes are very similar indeed like the Vorke Z6 for example. The biggest help though is to first read The Coolest's post #126 on Page 7 of this thread and download the required files he links to there.

A very happy man now with my Tanix TX9 Pro and even now running the latest LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz build on it and seems very good fast and stable. Sure I dont now have the Chroma 4.4.4 display output but had problems with ruinning that anyway even though my TV supports it (probably a sub version 2 HDMI cable problem I think) .

Hi,

I got TX9 Pro and installed LE 8.2.2.3 (s912.arm) on sd card. I can't get the display working it shows as boot. can you please help me how did you get it working and what are the files you used to get it working such as dtb.

• bigboo

I suggest you let the dev know that they should update the fd628-aml driver to openvfd with all the related changes.

You'll need different DTBs for openvfd to work on that build.

I use the LE upstream code for my build so could you create a PR & update the fd628-aml since it build based on your repo anyway? Once the fd628 driver is updated your custom DTB & the correct config file should work if they replace the stock files? I have no AML device with attached display so I can't test it.

• 5schatten

I can create a PR to LE.

There is no more need for custom DTBs for each device, as configuration has moved into the vfd.conf files. This means that each root-DTS file needs to have an openvfd entry, so I'll have to make another PR to LE's linux-amlogic repo.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll try to find the time for it.

• 5schatten

I can create a PR to LE.

There is no more need for custom DTBs for each device, as configuration has moved into the vfd.conf files. This means that each root-DTS file needs to have an openvfd entry, so I'll have to make another PR to LE's linux-amlogic repo.

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll try to find the time for it.

No problem, take your time.