LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC

• Well The Coolest, very many thanks for your help here but as suggested I have tried the Voork Z6 vfd.conf file and the openvfd service is installed and confirmed as running. I have added that Z6 vfd.conf into the /storage/.config folder as instructed and rebooted. Absolutely no change still stuck with boot showing on the display. Tried configuring that openvfd service, and even tried disabling the display option but still it shows "boot" after each reboot, even tried powering down. Left the openvfd settings as default now so no matter what I tryh I cannto get aby change to the static "boot" showign on the display.

Of course it is likely I am dong something wrong here as i am getting quite confused now as to what I need to do? All very complicated. And now I see something about a FD638 service ?? So do I now need this service inmsatlaled an drunnign as well as the OpenVFD 1.0.1.0 service
    ??. I would love to be able to either have the dispaay totally blank or better still to be able to control it with say the current system time as I see many options in the openvfd service add-on. But all seems to be incredibly vague as to what I now need to do.

BTW I am using the S912 LE 8.2.2.3 with appropriate 3G and Gigabit device tree gxm_200_3g.dtb which is the only dtb that worked with this TX9 Pro box and still giving me the gigabit port and all ports and devices working okay. I got that device tree from the DTB folder in these forums that referred to boxes with 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports but th e title shoudl clarify which one I am using.

I have given up on 8.2.4.x builds with the Tanix TX9 Pro S912 box as the box then runs unstable with all of the various device trees I have tried, but as I am happy with Kszaqs 8.2.2.3 S912 build I want to stick with that until the 8.2.4.x series S912 builds are sorted and stable. LE 8.2.2.3 is stable and works OK though amazingly my TX7 S905X box wiht this same build is still faster and smoother when running big 4K 10 bit HDR files off of my NAS drive despite the TX7 only having a standard 100mbps port and a quad core cpu ?? Probably because the S905 LE 8.2 builds use pucker Amlogic kernel firmware which I understand is unavalable for s912 devices, goodness knows why Amlopgic do not release it for Linux use.

I think it would be very helpful to most folk for a step by step instruction as to how to get this VFD service up and running and how to change the display output to what is requried, would be very welcomed indeed as all very vague and confusing right now.

Edited once, last by RayW (August 25, 2018 at 7:35 AM).

• thelinhlge

To make the new driver start automatically at boot, this should work:

Code
    echo "OLD_PATH=$PWD" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
    echo "cd /storage/downloads" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
    echo "sh test_led.sh" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
    echo "cd $OLD_PATH" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh

For the icons (wifi, ethernet, etc.) enable the OpenVFD Kodi Addon.

RayW

That build probably doesn't have the vfd driver, so it won't work.

• RayW

Thanks for the help Coolest. Ah so I am wasting my and your time with getting vfd to work with the 8.2.2.3. S912 build. Okay so I have to go to 8.2.4.x builds then yes ?? And then try again ?? So you are saying that there is no way I can fix the display problem unless I go up to these latest 4.x builds ?? Shame as I am very happy with 8.2.2.3 for now. Is there no way the vfd driver can be easily manually added with this build ??

Only confusion is if I can get the 8.2.4.x builds running stable on my TX9 Pro box, do I then need this FD628 service (which I cannot find in the LE repo so any ideas where I get it from ??) or do I need this opendvf service V1.0.1.0 which I do have, or do I need both ??

I gather I must have not found the correct DTB file for the 8.2.4.x S912 builds and thus the stability problems. So if anyone else has this TX9 Pro box or the almost identical Voork Z6 box, then which DTB are they using with these 8.2.4.x builds ?? I am also a little reticent on upgrading to this 8.2.4.x series yet because of the subtitle problems too.

If I can get 8.2.4.1 and upwards S912 builds working okay then I can sort this display problem out whcih I want to fix if possible.

• I can't guarantee it would work on any of the LE builds, since I don't do LE builds, and don't keep track of what they include. I *think* that the latest wrxtasy build includes a relatively recent version of the driver, you'll also need the right DTBs to go along with it, though.

On the last post of page 7 I posted a "how to" with the files necessary to get things working on older builds that don't have the vfd driver built in, it's also a relatively old version, but is better than nothing. I don't provide any active support for it, I simply posted it as courtesy for anyone who wishes to give it a try.

• thelinhlge

To make the new driver start automatically at boot, this should work:

Code
    echo "OLD_PATH=$PWD" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
    echo "cd /storage/downloads" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
    echo "sh test_led.sh" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh
    echo "cd $OLD_PATH" >> /storage/.config/autostart.sh

For the icons (wifi, ethernet, etc.) enable the OpenVFD Kodi Addon.

RayW

The Coolest

Sorry, I have following your instruction, but issue still not yet fix.

Can you help me check the autostart.sh file is correct or not?

Note: I already copy the autostart.sh file to /storage/ .config.

Thanks.

Code
    Code
  • I can't guarantee it would work on any of the LE builds, since I don't do LE builds, and don't keep track of what they include. I *think* that the latest wrxtasy build includes a relatively recent version of the driver, you'll also need the right DTBs to go along with it, though.

On the last post of page 7 I posted a "how to" with the files necessary to get things working on older builds that don't have the vfd driver built in, it's also a relatively old version, but is better than nothing. I don't provide any active support for it, I simply posted it as courtesy for anyone who wishes to give it a try.

Okay thanks for this Coolest to the Page 7 post of yours. Okay I have downloaded the FD628 Display.zip and the 8.2-vfd-dtbs.zip.

First I have changed the dtb.img on my 8.2.2.3 S912 3G SD boot card for the replacement one from your dtbs.zip file and the box boots and works fine with this modded dtb. BUT now I do not understand what you mean when you say " Extract the FD628 Display.zip file in your box, then run" So I assumes you meant run the Install from Zip function in my box and then run the installed service addon, but it will not install and just fails. So clearly it is not a normal addon service install ??? So where do I put the zip file in my box folders, or do I extract this zip file first on my PC and then install the extracted files to my box to some specific folder in the /storage area ?? .

Also do I now not need the Openvfd service so should I uninstall it now ?? What is the Openvfd service used for then ?? Does FD628 replace it ??

Appreciate the help you are giving us all here especailly with these older 8.2.2.3 S912 builds.

I also have on another SD card a working LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz build. Whcih is good news. SO are you saying with this later firmware build it has teh vfd drivers already built in ?? If so assume I do not need to change to one of your modified dtb files and just somehow install the FD628 Display.zip and the Z6 vfd.conf file into the /storage/configs folder as usual.

Sorry for so many questions but I am gfetting very confused here as it all seems a little vague to me. I really do though appreciate your free time and help, very kind of you mate.

• RayW

Sorry, as I said I don't provide support for this method. I sent you a PM, read it.

Now I have bloody embarrassing problem. How can I find the PMs in this forum ? I am sure before there was an icon at the top of the page which showed how many unread PMs there were and clickong on it opened the PMs section, but cannot find such an icon now. Only the Notifications bell and the Conversations balloons icon and neither go to PMs ?? Sounds so silly but spent 20 minutes trying to find your PM ??????????

Now followed the Readme.txt instructions in the FD628 ZIp file and got the sh install.sh command running via Putty but it gets not found errors for various lines in the vfd.conf file which is the Z6 one i added to .config folder and named simply vfd.conf Then it also gives an error in the install,sh line 27 ... etc with a Permision denied error. Maybe your PM answers all this if only I could find it ??????? Thanks a lot for your patience but I have never had problems so convaluted as this before in all the years I have been playing with various Linux based builds with these Amlogic boxes.

• Yep I thought that was there but your message was timed as 7 hours earlier ?? So looks like just a time zone anomaly with me here in Thailand though the forum threads show my local time okay ??

Anyway I want to publicly thank The Coolest for his tremendous help as I have now got a fully working front display panel on my TX9 Pro box and a fair understanding now of how it all works. Thanks to all the others here too who have given tips and help with this issue, all so very much appreciated.

So in return if anyone needs help with getting their front panel displays working with these LE 8.2. builds then I can offer to try to help you too if I can and save The Coolest's valuable spare time better used in his developing these mods further. Of course I am more familiar with the Tanix TX9 Pro box but many other boxes are very similar indeed like the Vorke Z6 for example. The biggest help though is to first read The Coolest's post #126 on Page 7 of this thread and download the required files he links to there.

A very happy man now with my Tanix TX9 Pro and even now running the latest LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz build on it and seems very good fast and stable. Sure I dont now have the Chroma 4.4.4 display output but had problems with ruinning that anyway even though my TV supports it (probably a sub version 2 HDMI cable problem I think) .

• I need help too

i have a X92

I use LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.5-Chroma.422.10bit.img.gz from here MEGA

and i try every dtb vom this link but no dtb works for me (not q_201_3g and not q_200_3g and also not q_201_3g_1gbit) with this dtb the box wont boot.

I tried the dtb from LED (VFD) Displays in LibreELEC and the box booted

But i get no display.

i also installed openvfd and i tried fd628.

output fd628

Display Spoiler

● fd628.service - Amlogic FD628 Service

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fd628.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)

Active: inactive (dead)

Condition: start condition failed at Fri 2018-08-10 09:13:18 UTC; 2 weeks 4 days ago

└─ ConditionPathExists=/proc/device-tree/fd628_dev was not met

output openvfd

Display Spoiler

Unit openvfd.service could not be found.

output dmesg

dmesg

Please help me

• v0rtex

From a quick check, the DTB doesn't contain the needed information about the VFD configuration. So this means I won't be able to figure out the correct configuration for your box. I'll another, more thorough look later today just to confirm.

• v0rtex

From a quick check, the DTB doesn't contain the needed information about the VFD configuration. So this means I won't be able to figure out the correct configuration for your box. I'll another, more thorough look later today just to confirm.

I have an X92 box and you managed to help me setup my front display on LE. I don't remember how, but it was dependent on the dtb.img, driver version, and config file.

Now I use CoreElec (where front display works OK) so can't provide more info to help, sorry...