Advice on AMlogic "TV stick/dongle" hardware

• Hi guys!

I'm going to upgrade my passive cooling solution for my Mecool S905X and I've bought several parts. However, I'm not sure if I should apply a thermal heatsink copper pad shim size 20x20x1.2mm between the CPU and my 40x40x18mm aluminium heatsink. My thermal compound paste is Arctic MX-4 with a thermal conductivity of 8.5 W/(mK). So which of the two ways do you think will be the best?

1. CPU -> Thermal compound paste -> Aluminium heatsink

2. CPU -> Thermal compound paste -> 20x20x1.2mm copper pad -> Thermal compound paste -> Aluminium heatsink

Thanks in advance!

Edited once, last by CI6N0Z (May 7, 2018 at 11:30 PM).

• No. 1.

Instead of thermal compound you can use 0.5mm thick Thermal Pad, which sticks heatsink better to processor than compound.

Thanks!

I see that the thermal pad has a lower thermal conductivity with 6,0 W/(mK) vs 8.5 W/(mK). Yet I can see why you recommended me thermal pad as the compound is wet and therefor difficult to make sure the heatsink is in place as there is no pressure on it...

Edited once, last by CI6N0Z (May 12, 2018 at 8:36 PM).

• Useful video on how to apply the paste:-

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.