USB Drive mount issue

• If I want someone to look at my log I'm going to make it as easy as I can for them - and that means using a paste site, not expecting them to download and open files. And if I'm reading a thread I'm much more likely to click on a paste than download a file.

• ok, thanks.

Three pastes are located here:-

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's picking up two from four drives.

But when I unplug the two it's not picking up it gives a message to confirm they were disconnected which is odd considering it didn't notify me they were connected to start with.

The freecom and seagate are the ones it does see.

• Thanks, rebooted and reposted.

• Hi,

Thanks for replying. I've disconnected all the drives and reconnected them separately and in every single combination I can and it's always the same.

Only two of the 4 drives give a successful mount and show in the file manager. The verb says it has successfully been unmounted but never gives any message to say it has connected and available. The 4th drive doesn't give any indication at all.

They all work perfectly in windows, they are all formatted with the sama file system.

Again, any help solving it would be hugely appreciated.

• All prior issues that I've seen where devices mount under Windows but not Linux have either been unclean dismounts from Windows or the result of low quality firmware in the USB > SATA interfaces of the drive caddies. Windows blindly accepts whatever geometry is reported and attempts to mount the device. Linux validates what's reported, and if the data was bogus the validation fails and the drive is not mounted. That normally results in a load of error messages in the system log to let you know something is up though.

Can you swap a 'bad' drive to a 'good' caddy to see if things work?

• I'm not sure what you mean by caddy. It's a sealed USB hard drive. It doesn't open.

I'd just buy two new hard drives and transfer the data over but I'm equally concerned that the two I bought wouldn't work with it either.

It's even stranger that it detects it when disconnected but not when connected.

Even running it through an externally powered USB hub produces the same result.

• The only other thing I can suggest is trying LE on some other kind of hardware which might prove that the crappy old 3.14 kernel that's used on Amlogic boxes is at fault. It's a long shot though. I wouldn't personally buy more/newer drives. I'd get a NAS and put everything in the network where life is easier and fewer cables are required.

• How do NAS enclosures connect to the android device? Genuinely have no idea with these things.

I guess it can only be via eithernet or USB and surely USB would potentially have the same connectivity issue.

• You can try some additional logging. Boot without USB drives and log into ssh. Type:

udevadm monitor >udev.txt

Attach a failing drive and press <Ctrl>-c after a short time. Then:

journalctl >journal.txt

Post the two files.

But there is no guarantee that there are any findings.

• Hi. It looks to me like the kernel is unable to deal with your 5GB drive. Someone mentioned earlier the old kernel, which could be it (although I would think a 3.xx kernel should be able to deal with a 5TB drive). Since I see you are not making any progress with this, here is what I would suggest:

1. Never assume just because Windows doesn't complain when you plug them in, they are not faulty. So....Connect the drives in question to a Windows computer and do a full scan disk on them (right click on drive Properties/Tools). Do NOT do a surface scan (ie Check for bad blocks) or will take hours upon hours to complete.

2. Boot up your RPi with no drives attached.

3. SSH into the box and type "journalctl -f" press enter several times to give some clear space so you can see the defined activity when you plug in one of the faulty drives.

4. Connect one of the faulty drives to your RPi.

5. Note the complete output from journalctl -f. It should tell you what is happening. If it is not assigning a device (i.e. sdb, sdc, etc) it is not reading the drive correctly and that usually means the drive has a fault somewhere. Something even a simple reformat might fix.

EDIT: Two things just occurred to me. I need to read more carefully next time lol. 1. I assumed you were using a RPi2/3. My bad, still my suggestions should be valid. 2. Is your 5TB drive a single drive, or a box with 2 or more drives in it totaling 5TB? And...did that 5TB drive require any special Windows drivers to make it work? If so, it may NEVER work under LE.

Edited once, last by Lexridge (January 6, 2018 at 11:48 PM).