S912 off-topic

• I don't know where you are getting your facts from? Koying is the developer of SPMC and the main release is still Jarvis so that would probably explain half your problems if that is what your using... as for him being the only developer working on the Shield that could not be more further from the truth.

I own both the Shield and the U9-H and even though it is 3 years old it still beats any other ARM SoC device hands down and I would choose it over the U9-H any day of the week, it can't be that bad as well otherwise Nintendo would not have chosen to put the very same SoC inside of the Switch, to say it is full of bugs and problems is absolutely ridiculous it's had more updates than most Android devices that are on the market. As for comparing to an Apple device, lol... good luck with getting Kodi on that.

The issue with HDR on AML has been covered so many times, it's not a 'LE bug' nor is it a 'bug' of any kind, it's is purely down to the way the Amlogic SoC handles HDR, it's not something that will be resolved.

• When I play a 4K Hevc HDR file on the U9-H connected to the 1080p TV

OK :cool: You´re the man.

When I play 4k hevc hdr(BT20.20) on my S912 box connected to my TV supporting 4k hdr - everything is fine

Why don´t You use a supported TV ?

Sorry, I don´t understand why You are whining :/

• OK :cool: You´re the man.

When I play 4k hevc hdr(BT20.20) on my S912 box connected to my TV supporting 4k hdr - everything is fine

Why would you even comment if its pure nonsensical garbage? You realize ppl have old TVs, they still want to use "properly", like some early 4K TVs, that dont have HDR support. Or TVs with rather badly implemented HDR, where its probably just better to have them run at 8/10 bit without HDR at all. Or some older 1080p TVs, they want to continue using.

I mean, just stay the F out of the converstation, since you dont have anything constructive to contribute. Same thing applies to this Pelican clown.

Now:

I don't know where you are getting your facts from? Koying is the developer of SPMC and the main release is still Jarvis so that would probably explain half your problems if that is what your using... as for him being the only developer working on the Shield that could not be more further from the truth.

First of all, Ive tried both SPMC and normal Kodi 17.6. Both have a solid ammount of issues, with fewer issues beeing on SPMC. Like passthrough problems with certain audio streams and so on. I mean what are you trying to prove here? Its enough to take a look at the Shield TV section in the NV forum to get a clue how much stuff doesnt work right and how many problems it has.

I use NV Shield almost every day for over a year or so, since there was no other alternatives with native 4K Support in Apps like Netflix, Youtube, Amazon etc. I know the device very well and Ive tried a ton of stuff

I own both the Shield and the U9-H and even though it is 3 years old it still beats any other ARM SoC device hands down and I would choose it over the U9-H any day of the week, it can't be that bad as well otherwise Nintendo would not have chosen to put the very same SoC inside of the Switch, to say it is full of bugs and problems is absolutely ridiculous it's had more updates than most Android devices that are on the market. As for comparing to an Apple device, lol... good luck with getting Kodi on that.

Where did I claim, that Nvidia doesnt beat the rest of the Android SoCs in terms of performance? It is still the fastest Android device out there, I never claimed anything different. However A10X is also ARM architecture and it wipes the floor with the Shield SoC. So I dont get what your point here exactly is.. I even wrote that it was a beast of a SoC during the last like 2.5 years, so again- what exactly is your point here, what are you trying to prove? I dont get it.

Sure did Shield TV have plenty of updates, they did fix many things. And they have also managed to mess up many things with new updates, which then required patches of the messed up patches. Again- just take a fast look in the Shield TV section and you will see than even after dozens of updates, alot of stuff still doesnt work right. Well Apple has MrMC which is essentially a Kodi App without Add-on functionality, but it still plays the same video files as Kodi does, which is the main purpose of Kodi, so I kind of miss your point here as well.

The issue with HDR on AML has been covered so many times, it's not a 'LE bug' nor is it a 'bug' of any kind, it's is purely down to the way the Amlogic SoC handles HDR, it's not something that will be resolved.

And that is exactly why I called these cheap AML android media players garbage. I did a few more tests with the Minix U9-H with HDR->SDR conversion on a 4K TV that has no HDR support. In Android Tablet OS, when using the "Movie Player" the image is less dark than with LE, so it has less black crush and less messed up contrast. However the color saturation is still incorrect, it appears washed out. When using stand alone LE, its alot worse with both black crush and contrast.

The HDR->SDR conversion with AML SoC can be considered broken in my book. If someone who has an early 4K TV without HDR support wants a player that converts HDR->SDR correctly, you better not bother with these trash AML players.

But heres something different though- I have a Kaby Lake i3 NUC right now running Windows 10. I have a 4K monitor connected to it, ofcourse without HDR support, its an 8-bit 4K SDR monitor. And when I play the same files on this NUC with proper software like MPV player etc.- the picture looks perfect. The NUC does the HDR->SDR conversion in Windows properly, it looks absolutely great. But I wanted a dedicated Kodi player for my 4K SDR TV and an older 1080p TV. If I knew how bad the HDR->SDR conversion looks with AML players and that it cant even do Lanczos 3 upscaling with SDR or 720p content, I certainly wouldnt have bothered buying the Minix U9..

I think wrxtasy should consider putting a warning in his thread here Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware that the image wont look right with AML players when converting HDR-> SDR, because I assumed the listed Media Players in the first post do the right job converting HDR->SDR properly. Which unfortunately is nowhere even close the case with the AML SoCs.

But I dont blame wrxtasy, he cant test every single device and figure out if the image looks right or not. I mean the Minix U9 does convert it after all, the question is "how good?" though. The answer is not good at all.

Unfotunately it doesnt work with NV Shield as well.. so much to "greatest Android player".. It seems like Ill have to check out the ATV 4K or wait until Kodi team implements it with NUC hardware.

• This has gone way too off-topic, I moved your discussion to a separate thread. As for your first post Mr.Brown - software decoding on S912 + LE is not completely usable as lots of CPU power has to spent on libhybris translation layer. I think you will get better results with Android + Kodi or SPMC + software decoding.

• Thats fine by me.

That would still not be a great solution, as long as the Minix is using Android Tablet OS instead of Android TV OS. Besides that, AML devices are already ruled out for several reasons.

I will wait until team Kodi figures out a way to implement HDR with X86 devices and use a NUC as a media player or maybe upcoming AMD APUs with Ryzen and Vega, which will have 15 Watts APUs as well, similar to Intel NUC.

Other than that, ATV 4K might be worth checking out in the meantime. I will probably give it a try.

• I have a S905X and S912 Box and use 2 monitors: AOC 3D 1080p and a prof. LG UHD HDR monitor. All I can say is that switching between 4k HDR 10bit (BT.2020) and SD (BT.709) works very good. Period.

• How does switching from BT.2020 to BT.709 matter when the discussion is about HDR->SDR dynamic range conversion? Why do some ppl have an urge to post something, when they dont even understand wtf is going on in the first place?

Its like "oh I bought this device and someone is pointing out its many flaws, I better post something good about it..."

• Well it is right that this devices do no HDR to SDR conversion....but I didnt expect, nobody tells it should. The start threat of all LE Versions do note that there is no HDR support (whether passthrough nor conversion). It just says that passthrough MAY work.

So I think it shows a bit a lag of respect to talk about that FREEware and its programmers in that way.

• ..ppl have old TVs, they still want to use "properly", like some early 4K TVs, that dont have HDR support. Or TVs with rather badly implemented HDR, where its probably just better to have them run at 8/10 bit without HDR at all. Or some older 1080p TVs, they want to continue using.

And that is exactly why I called these cheap AML android media players garbage. I did a few more tests with the Minix U9-H with HDR->SDR conversion on a 4K TV that has no HDR support. In Android Tablet OS, when using the "Movie Player" the image is less dark than with LE, so it has less black crush and less messed up contrast. However the color saturation is still incorrect, it appears washed out. When using stand alone LE, its alot worse with both black crush and contrast.

The HDR->SDR conversion with AML SoC can be considered broken in my book. If someone who has an early 4K TV without HDR support wants a player that converts HDR->SDR correctly, you better not bother with these trash AML players.

People that can afford a 4K capable NUC can also afford to throw away their non HDR 4K TV and buy an actual 4K HDR capable TV anyway ! ;)

This 4K HDR to SDR conversion is a very niche use case scenario and not a hell of a lot of priority has been given too it by AMLogic or LE devs.

Having said that visually my cheap non HDR 4K TV seemed to display such 4K HDR content OK, but it's not the best 4K TV to display 4K content with anyway so who knows what it should actually look like.

4K is bullshit without HDR anyway. Trying to visually see resolution differences between upscaled high bitrate 1080p vs 4K sitting an average distance away from a display in a lounge chair (not a desktop PC) is virtually impossible.

4K without HDR is a complete marketing con job IMHO for the average viewer.

• Mr.Brown your hostile post is as much garbage as you claim every device is, I'm a developer on the NV forums so I'm more than aware of what issues it does and does not have but and it is nowhere near as bad as you claim. The Shield is more than just a media player. it is more of a console, that is what it was originally designed for, it would be worth remembering that when you trash talk it.

As for your whole where did you claim nonsense... I never said you did but again you have your facts wrong on that one as well.

I would not advocate for any product because no single device is perfect but they all come pretty damn close and I would certainly not call any device garbage, this reminds me of the whole HD 192/24 audio that people come to expect from their devices, your expectations from cheap STB's is far too high, if you can afford to have a 4k capable NUC and it works then maybe you should stick to that than wasting your time with devices that will never meet your high expectations.

We are here to help and support people with Amlogic devices in this sub-forum, they meet the needs for the vast majority of people and posts like yours do nothing to encourage development or wider adoption of these devices.

• OK :cool: You´re the man.

Hi Tim_Taylor

Are you forcing the device to output 4:4:4 10bit to your TV or do you let the device do it automatic with support from the

handshake information between the device and TV ?

I am asking because I am wondering how good the chroma upscaling quality 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 is on the device. If it is bad it is maybe better

to force 4:2:0 10bit to the TV and let the TV do the 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 upscaling instead.

What do you think ?

• has anyone ever archieved autoframe on Android?!

wetek Hub or core (can't remember) as well as the MINIX U1 - only s905 chipset. Last I checked, no s905x device can do it (not sure on s912, but doubt it). Possibly the Ugoos AM1 - I'm running that firmware on my Beelink M18 and the option is there but haven't investigated.

You could always just do the "ghetto method" - manually change the refresh rate to 24p or 30p depending on the source framerate of the video you are going to watch. Not sure if Android has fractional framrates like 23.976 and 29.97 or whether it is "true 24p/30p". YouTube has lots of " true 30p" content. Outside of there, I haven't seen it very often.

But this is only regarding "android apps" inside the Android OS like Netflix, etc.