[SOLVED] Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering

• Hi,

New here :)

Tried 8.2.4-Subtitles-ff and it did fix subs stutter for me on my GT1 Ultimate but it broke Bluetooth Remote.

I have a PS3 remote which was working fine on 8.2.2.3 and now it doesn't pair anymore. Tried pairing via terminal using bluetoothctl and the same happens I enable trust and it does connect but when bluez has to attach the HID device I got an org.bluez.Error.Failed. I do have a cheap BT gamepad and the same happens :(

I made a card with the old 8.2.2.3 image and BT remote and gamepad works.

I have done some OE hacking on the past to support another universal PS3 remote but I cannot bisect the problems here because I don't know where do you maintain your code.

Any hint ? I found that the BT and WiFi firmware are unchanged; the Bluez binary have different MD5 between images but that could be even a change on the compiler you used :(

TIA

Edited once, last by Juanjo (April 5, 2018 at 3:15 PM).

• Ok,

I worked around it. Found that killing and restarting bluetoothd put my BT periphericals on working order, so I added a little autostart.sh

Code
    (
      sleep 2;
      pkill bluetoothd;
      sleep 2;
      /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd
    ) &
  • Awesome!!! Thank you!!! I will test it using an USB stick asap (but Pinki confirmed it's working so i'm sure it will work on my box too :) ).

Could you also make a fix/update for Kodi Leia? I'm using Leia on the U9 on internal storage, mainly because of the UHD bluray ISO support. Obviously it's still alpha, but everything i need works, with exception of the subtitle stutter. A fix would therefore be much appreciated :)

Many many thanks once again :)

• That is as good as S912 GPU rendering performance is going to get for the Hybrid GPU drivers used with Kodi Krypton.

We have reached the end of the line so far as S912 GPU tweaking is concerned. :P

If unsatisfied, use a different Skin View or slower S905X hardware.

Copying the LE data partition to internal eMMC storage will improve Kodi performance:

[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

Still yours 8.2.4 Subtitles-ff is the best stable build of Kodi LE.

We see how much time you spend to fix many problems, thank you :)

Btw. maybe someone have similar problems like me: once per any h264 1080p movie I have black screen for 1 second in random moment (sound is still playing)

Nothing helps (OC GPU, OC CPU, SW/HW decoding, CHroma changing, community options), with 4K H265 everything is ok...

• @wrxtasy

Had time today to test your latest "LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4-Subtitles-ff" version without GPU OC (normal 500MHz speed), and still all my critical samples played without stutter. Gui is a little slower, but the temp is 4-5°C lower...

• Just for a bit of info here regarding Dirty Regions.

That section of the XBMC/Kodi code appears to be pretty old and was needed back in the day when media players had relatively slow CPU's and weak GPU's with slow internal data transfer capabilities. The RPi's likely still need DR.

The LE developers have had a discussion over in the Slack chat forum and we have found even modern LE/Linux Kodi - Intel hardware benefits from disabling Dirty Regions completely now too, resulting in a smoother GUI there as well.

Newer ARM GPU's like the Mali-T820 in the AML S912's also employ technologies like ARM - ASTC, AFBC, SC and TE to further reduce memory bandwidth needed for data transfer and display rendering.

Mali Technologies – Arm

• Hi,

I installed your build and everything works fine besides the subtitles. If i wan to load them, i takes ca. 1 minute before they appear (bsplayer, opensubtitlrs, subscene) and if i load them screen freezes ca 1 minute, than go back to main menu. If i change the folder for the subs to the local SD card, instead „with the video on my server“ its been loading and displayed. If a tvshow still has subs saved on my server, it shows the same freeze behavior. On my S905 and the „normal“ S912 Kzaq build everything is loaded fine and displayed. I have a beelink ultimate 3 gig.

• @wrtxtasy

This is really awsome!! I have been waiting sooo long for an update that is fixing the subtitle framedrops. Greatfull thanks for this good work, it is the finishing touch on Kszaq's build.

But I had a little problem:

I put the tar and dtb file together in the update folder as written above and then reboot the device. I have a H96 pro+ 3G, 1000 Mb LAN with the 8.2.2.3 firmware.

Everything was updating fine after the device did not boot anymore, stucked with the H96 pro+ logo.

I used 8.2.4 subtitles ff.tar and device tree gxm_q200_3g.dtb

After I took an other SD card and made a fresh install with the same files (img.gz) of course. And again the same problem, no boot.

Then I deleted the dtb file and pasted the old dtb file (used with 8.2.2.3) back and the the device was booting perfect again.

I could set the GPU clock to 792 Mhz in display> community extras.

Then testing it with some critical movies and wow!! for the first time no framedrops when enable external subs.

Sometimes the first sub is having the old evil, but after everything is playing fine and smooth, I read this before in this topic, no problem for me.

But... why does the H96 pro+ not boot with the dtb file as you advice?

I am happy allready but could it be more better if this adviced dtb file should work??

The CPU temerature is various between 54 and 61C

And clock speed is showing 1000 and sometimes 1500 Mhz

Another issue (I solved allready) is the following:

I did use my D-link router attached with an HDD as NAS using SMB connection.

When I play an mkv with external subs on this way LibreElec is crashing and reboots.

When I delete the srt file it is playing fine.

I did not have this issue with the 8.2.2.3 build.

Then I decided to connect the HDD straight into the usb port on the H96 and then it is playing fine with external subs.

I made this NAS construction to play movies with external subs direct on my LG TV, but now the subtitle issue is solved I don't need this anymore, so I leave it same this.:)

Does somebody recognize this issue when playing movies with srt over NAS using SMB?

Is there anybody who can advice me to make it more better, or can I just leave everything as it is now.:shy: