[SOLVED] Dropped frames caused by subtitle rendering

• wrxtasy There is minor tearing in the GUI with the new build but nothing major at all. I only notice it if there is some animation in the GUI.

For example I only see it if I enable "Use slide animations" in Estuary skin. If I disable it, I can barely see any tearing. All in all, a very minor thing compared to the fix for the stuttering issue.

Ahh Slide animations. Yes I see it now.

It's the reason they are disabled by default with @kszaq's version and this one. Simply do not use 'em.

I don't like them either to be honest, they waste time navigating the GUI.

In fact I'm going to Nuke that option in future S912 releases.

We really need proper Linux GPU video drivers for the S912 - anything else is a compromise and will never be as smooth as S905.. LE devices.

• I'm not seeing any completely obvious GUI tearing at 1080p50Hz on the U9.

Q. Have you overclocked the S912 GPU and verified it's running at 792MHz ?

Code
    cat /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

EDIT: There may be a tiny bit if I look very closely at the bottom of the screen with some Kodi icons. It is no where near the really obvious tearing we had in early versions of LE for the S912.

Am I going to fix it - maybe.

I'm using skin Aeon nox Silvo this skin hals also a lot of slide animations if choose vertical on homescreen it's better.

And yes GPU is Overclocked at 792MHz:)

Thanks!

• It never ceases to amaze me that no sooner is 1 issue resolved that new ones are reported.

It is widely known that there is no fbdev mali blob for the T820 gpu, there is very little that can be done as for libhybris related issues and if you buy a box that you know to not be fully supported or compatible then issues should be expected.

• Updated to the subtitle fix build, overclock and chroma settings enabled and deinterlacing disabled- subtitle frame skip is fixed and I can’t see any gui tearing at all it actaully seems even snappier especially while using the onscreen keyboard and

navigating the keys with a normal remote.

Also added a 5v fan and extra holes beneath the fan very similar to @mrbig and temps are down from around 60-65• to 35-45•

M8S Pro S912 3gb installed to internal

• I'm also using Aeon Nox and the horizontal menu, and I can see tearing when sliding between the items, but it's no biggie, other than that everything is working great. Would I like to see it fixed? Sure! But I'm really grateful for all the work you guys put in and even if it never gets fixed, I'm fine with that! Cheers!

• wrxtasy There is minor tearing in the GUI with the new build but nothing major at all. I only notice it if there is some animation in the GUI.

For example I only see it if I enable "Use slide animations" in Estuary skin. If I disable it, I can barely see any tearing. All in all, a very minor thing compared to the fix for the stuttering issue.

In the following folder you should find a S912 Subtitles-ff.tar update that should fixup the Subtitles and GUI tearing when using slide animations as well (its uploading now):

Subtitles-GUI-tear-fix folder (click)

The Kodi GUI should be smoother now and will still retain it's new found snappiness.

I've been testing with the Aeon-Nox Silvio Skin. :)

Remember to go into Kodi Settings > System > Display > Community Extras > Set GPU clock to 792MHz

A reminder there are also new S912 device trees needed for GPU Overclocking - found in the above linked folder.

Drop the appropriate .dtb file into the Update folder together with the .tar file and reboot.

W.

• This is great!

Thank you very much i'll test later when got home from work!

EDIT:

Just test it with Aeon Nox SILVO skin and set the GPU clock to 792MHz and no more tearing!

Silky smooth gui now it's amazing!

Thank you very much!

wrxtasy is it possible to apply this to GDPR-2 Leia testbuilds?

Edited once, last by Marciano (April 4, 2018 at 8:37 AM).

• Very likely.

The Key is rendering the entire Kodi GUI viewport in one pass on the S912 by setting <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>

Effectively turning OFF - Kodi's Dirty Regions functionality.

HOW-TO:Modify dirty regions - Official Kodi Wiki

Working with dirty regions | Kodi | Open Source Home Theater Software

SoC temps increase a wee bit, but I would rather have a smoother, snappier GUI and smooth video playback with Subtitles.

:thumbup:

• That's amazing! And so fast, thank you! So if I have the GPU overcloc options in my GUI I don't need to update the device tree?

• Yes it is pretty snappy now !

Please re-read...

A reminder there are also new S912 device trees needed for GPU Overclocking - found in the above linked folder.

Bed time here.

Github tidy up tomorrow, then publish changes.

And I will then start a new thread for my optimised LE 8.2.4.x Kodi Krypton releases and play around with S905/S905X Krypton too - to finish up.

PS. Even 1080p 11Mbps 10bit H264 aka Hi10P Anime seems to be ffmpeg software decoding and playing back properly now after LE refresh switches. This might be a good sign for 1080p H264 Netflix with Leia on S912's and others. More testing needs to be done.

• Thx. its fixes vsync problem but... its adding a new problem with image tearing (like low fps), for example with TV SHows Shift view on posters

• I haven't been around that long, still pretty unfamiliar with the update process of Libreelec. The subtitles patch i just dropped in the update folder, but how do I update the device tree?

Cheers!

• I've not tried it but I believe you can just drop the appropriate .dtb file in the Update folder as well as the LE .tar update then reboot.

that’s worked for me.

I tried that, nothing happened, and the file is still in the update folder. Tar file worked fine. With the dtb file nothing happens.

Edited once, last by e2zippo (April 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM).