[8.90.11a] LibreELEC 9.x for S912

• This thread was merged to [8.90.x] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912/LePotato

Sorry for version confusion, but we started in adamg thread with 8.90.0 and 8.90.0 is next version for the last version 8.90.11a from this thread.

LibreELEC 9.x for Amlogic S912 devices.

WARNING:

Amlogic has not released fbdev Mali libraries and has no plans to release them. These builds use libhybris and Android gralloc Mali driver to provide OpenGL for Kodi - this is an experimental approach with CPU overhead - this means suboptimal GPU performance.

If you consider buying a device for LE, do not buy Amlogic S912!

Issues:

• resolution switching - only 1920x1080 and 4K is working (frame rate switching works)

Read this first: [HOWTO + FAQ] Install community builds on S905/S905X/S912 device

Important notes:

• These are unofficial, community supported builds so please post all bugs/issues in this forum area only.
    • These builds are highly experimental and based upon the LibreELEC master branch and as such should never be considered stable.
    • These builds correspond to GDPR-2 LibreELEC 9.x for S905/S905X.
    • Bugs? Read this first: [READ FIRST] Reporting bugs
    • if you choose a device tree with LIRC support, you have to configure your remote control from the scratch (amremote cannot work toghether with LIRC)
    • I'd like to thank kszaq as without his work then none of this would be possible, device support for this build is based upon his 8.2 branch!
    • I'd like to thank johngalt for lots of work on improving Nougat kernel to a very usable state!
    • I'd also like to thank Raybuntu and the whole of the LE team.

Note on downloads:

• If you experience freezing then downgrade to kszaq's 8.2 -temp_sensor_disabled version
    • If upgrading from 8.0 builds remember to update the device tree!

If you forgot to use a new device tree or used wrong one and your device doesn't boot:

• don't panic!
    • if booting from SD/USB, simply connect SD/USB to your computer, download a proper device tree, rename it to dtb.img and place on SD/USB
    • if booting from internal:
      1. Boot this build from SD card or USB with correct device tree.
      2. Login over SSH and execute script installtointernal
      3. Confirm installation and for question "Do you want to copy your user data to internal data partition? [Y/n] " answer "no".
      4. Box will boot from internal, remove SD/USB.

Known issues and important notes:

• SAMBA/SMB/Shared folder issues? Read this blog post first
    • RGB mode doesn't work
    • Supported internal WiFi chips: Broadcom (all), Realtek (all) and Qualcomm QCA9377. Other chips, e.g. 9082xs, SSV6051 are not supported because there is no driver source code available.
    • 4K support is experimental.
    • 3D and HDR are not supported, i.e. they might work but I don't provide support.
    • CEC might not work when your box has incompatible u-boot or your TV is not that well supported by Amlogic low-level CEC driver.
    • External DVB tuner support via DVB driver addons by CvH. Supports CrazyCat and Hauppauge media builds and default kernel DVB drivers. To use this addons you have to install from LE repository->Program addons: LE driver module. For usage watch video how it works.
    • Subtitles rendering is to slow, it can cause frame skipping.

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.11a.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.11a.tar

Choose .img.gz file for burning to a new usb drive or SD card and choose .tar if you are upgrading.

SD card .img is without dbt.img , put the proper device tree blob on SD card and rename it to dbt.img.

Device trees: here

Source code: here

Release Notes:

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 g7b1ff23;

- libbluray 1.0.2;

Older builds

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.10-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.10-K.tar

Choose .img.gz file for burning to a new usb drive or SD card and choose .tar if you are upgrading.

SD card .img is prepared for KIII Pro, for other devices replace dbt.img and add remote.conf on SD card.

Release Notes:

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 gd65022a;

- improved a/v syncing for live tv and timeshift;

- re-added output_rgb parameter to force RGB mode

- CrazyCat driver addon: added support for Geniatech eyeTv T2 lite

Downloads:
    LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.9-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.9-K.tar

SD card .img is prepared for KIII Pro, for other devices replace dbt.img and add remote.conf on SD card.

Release Notes:

Added DVB driver addons by CvH. Supports CrazyCat and Hauppauge media builds and default kernel DVB drivers. To use this addons you have to install from LE repository->Program addons: LE driver module. For usage watch video how it works.

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.8-1-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.8-1-K.tar

Release Notes:

- fixed disk volume label issue;

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 gf795ce2;

- improved rendering timing;

- the latest libhybris with Nougat modules;

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.7-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.7-K.tar

Release Notes:

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 g1e9d6ba;

- improved rendering timing;

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.6-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.6-K.tar

Release Notes:

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 g4a53be5;

- pvr.hts 4.2.7: fixed predictive tuning;

- hw decoding tuning;

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.5-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.5-K.tar

Release Notes:
    - Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 g4a53be5;

- Samba 4.7.3;

- fixed 4K output, stable for fps <=30, for high fps is decimated to half;

- improved seeking for movie playback;

- improved liveTV stability;

- more stable timeshift;

- fixed overlay audio codec info;

- bugs fixes;

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.4-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.4-K.tar

Release Notes:

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 g203b86f;

- improved liveTV stability;

- more stable timeshift;

- Samba 4.7.2;

- TVH from repository doesn't work. You have to install service.tvheadend42-9.0.43-637.zip;

- update TVH from LE repository to version 4.3;

Downloads:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.3-K.img.gz

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.90.3-K.tar

Release Notes:

- Kodi Leia 18.0-Alpha1 g203b86f;

- pvr.hts, pvr.iptvsimple and pvr.vuplus are preinstalled;

- TVH from repository doesn't work. You have to install service.tvheadend42-9.0.43-628.zip;

• H96Pro+ 3/16 and gxm_q200_3g.dtb:

Could not find a valid system partition in the image file!

The result is: stuck on Kodi splash screen, split like playing an (H)OU 3D file on 3D disabled TV... :)

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2-8.2.0.1.tar is working fine.

Edited once, last by ChimeyJimmey (November 13, 2017 at 1:55 PM).

• H96Pro+ 3/16 and gxm_q200_3g.dtb:

The result is: stuck on Kodi splash screen, split like playing an (H)OU 3D file on 3D disabled TV... :)

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2-8.2.0.1.tar is working fine.

Pls, provide screenshot. Try clean SD card installation at first.

• Just tested your build on my MeCOOL BB2 Pro 3/16GB. Everything I tested works fine, including Live TV via TVH (TVH server running on Odroid-C2 using Raybuntu's latest Leia build). Haven't tested NetFlix yet.

I was using Gendo's build before and downloaded the device trees from there.

Thanks so much for your sharing.

• Just tested the build on my Minix U9 and I can say that after starting a movie ( most of the times ) there are two black circles with numbers in it ( I think It's the progress indicator ) on top of the video. They don't vanish even if you jump forward.

I would have gladly take a screenshot but both the MCE Remote and the LG Oled 55C7 Remote I'm using are only working very limited and I really don't feel like creating a conf from scratch.

• Just tested the build on my Minix U9 and I can say that after starting a movie ( most of the times ) there are two black circles with numbers in it ( I think It's the progress indicator ) on top of the video. They don't vanish even if you jump forward.

I would have gladly take a screenshot but both the MCE Remote and the LG Oled 55C7 Remote I'm using are only working very limited and I really don't feel like creating a conf from scratch.

Pls read sticky thread [READ FIRST] Reporting bugs. Without debug logs and screenshot I can hardly help you.

BTW: for taking screenshot connect USB keyboard and press CTRL-S. Screenshots are saved in /storage/screenshots.

• There you are sir. I've created a debug log.

And for some reason the screenshot I've made using the keyboard looks like this so I had to make one with my phone. I hope it helps.

Also I don't know why but I'm not able to enable the OSD. I tought it's because of my remotes but it didn't work even with the keyboard. It should have been working when hitting Enter.

Please state if you need more logs.

• There you are sir. I've created a debug log.

And for some reason the screenshot I've made using the keyboard looks like this so I had to make one with my phone. I hope it helps.

Also I don't know why but I'm not able to enable the OSD. I tought it's because of my remotes but it didn't work even with the keyboard. It should have been working when hitting Enter.

Please state if you need more logs.

I have no 4k TV, but I think you have to set GUI to 1080p. For 4k movie playback the resolution will be switched to 4k (under tv capability).

Also read ChimeyJimmey post #6.

• What do you mean ? I've just checked. The GUI is set to 1080p.

I did sometesting though and I've found out that the problem with the circles only occurs if playing 4k material.

Also any idea why I can't get the OSD even with the keyboard ?

• What do you mean ? I've just checked. The GUI is set to 1080p.

I did sometesting though and I've found out that the problem with the circles only occurs if playing 4k material.

Also any idea why I can't get the OSD even with the keyboard ?

For OSD in playback is used Enter key. For RC: Ok button.

• Either you need to amend remote.conf

or try the official Kore, the Official Remote for Kodi, for example... :)

Thx mate Kore did work so I could test the one thing I was really hoped to be fixed in Leia.

Unfortunately subtitles still cause a few hiccups, frame drops on my Minix U9:cry:

But I bet this occurs on other hardware as well. I don't understand this bug can exist for so long.

There are bug reports from early this year or so. I guess the Kodi developers don't watch videos with subtitles.

Sad because I imagine for a lot a people this means a dealbreaker.

Edited once, last by avirex (November 14, 2017 at 7:21 PM).

• Thx mate Kore did work so I could test the one thing I was really hoped to be fixed in Leia.

Unfortunately subtitles still cause a few hiccups, frame drops on my Minix U9:cry:

But I bet this occurs on other hardware as well. I don't understunand how this bug can exist for so long.

There are bug reports from early this year or so. I guess the Kodi developers don't watch videos with subtitles.

Sad because I imagine for a lot a people this means a dealbreaker.

you could always go back to Android, are there Leia builds for Android?