Video Card for HEVC 265 10bit

• Yes, but be aware that we intend to significantly alter the Linux graphics stack in our development branch in the near future. You should not expect stability from releases based on that branch until that work matures.

Thats great to hear. I'm still hesitant on buying new gear and was thinking of waiting till next summer to buy a new tv when I move to a new place but I might do it sooner knowing that I have viable options for a player and a decently reviewed 4k tv for my bedroom isn't an A$$ ton of money.

• The i5 version of the 7th gen has much faster graphics, which can be useful for emulators or other graphic intensive apps. I'd go for the latest and greatest if you are buying a NUC and you can afford it. I've had NUC's since their introduction and there's always been some issues to start with when they are released, be it BIOS or driver related. The issues usually get fixed sooner than later.

• I'm just planning on this being a simple Kodi box that will also run an eggdrop and also a glftpd instance for my local network.

I've thought of maybe setting up Kodi to do emulators but that would be for like NES, SNES, Sega's and maybe N64. Don't think I would need Intel core architecture for that.

• Those seem like NUC's just not built by Intel. Also I can get a NUC for less (yes its without RAM and storage) but I would want less RAM and more storage then either of those box's but thanks for pointing those out.

• Sorry, this is all still not clear to me.

Can an Apollo Lake NUC with libreelec play 4K UHD HDR MKVs in full quality? With all bells and whistles? Incl. refresh rate switching?

Or do I need to buy an Minix u9-H for that purpose.

Would be nice if you could help me on that.

Best wishes,

Chris

• Milhouse builds have been running for months, but video code is still being actively written so no guarantees of speedy support; Kodi is still several months from an official Alpha release.

From a comment I saw earlier this evening Amlogic devices that support HDR are doing it via an 8-bit internal conversion process; so not 10-bit and it's probably necessary to keep the processing bandwidth to a management level. The TV still recognises it as HDR though, so the general masses who obsess over the 'pass-through' lights on their AVR blinking appropriately will be happy.

• Milhouse builds have been running for months, but video code is still being actively written so no guarantees of speedy support; Kodi is still several months from an official Alpha release.

From a comment I saw earlier this evening Amlogic devices that support HDR are doing it via an 8-bit internal conversion process; so not 10-bit and it's probably necessary to keep the processing bandwidth to a management level. The TV still recognises it as HDR though, so the general masses who obsess over the 'pass-through' lights on their AVR blinking appropriately will be happy.

In another thread you were stating that HDR is not working on kaby lake nucs since kernel support is not available yet. I am sort of confused now, is it also not working in libreelec 9 (milhouse)?

• This means that in libreelec 9 there is NO apollo lake / kaby lake 4K HDR10 support so far?

It is quite hard to get a reliable answer on that, yesterday it sounded like it is supported.

• This means that in libreelec 9 there is NO apollo lake / kaby lake 4K HDR10 support so far?

It is quite hard to get a reliable answer on that, yesterday it sounded like it is supported.

Correct - not (currently) supported. A number of components need to be updated to support HDR: Kodi, ffmpeg, gpu drivers, kernel. When this support will appear nobody really knows as we're dependent on the upstream maintainers and their priorities/agendas, but it will appear eventually (and will hopefully support your Intel hardware before it is obsolete - Linux does seem to be a low priority for Intel these days).

• ...Okay. Thanks for your answer. Will a libreelec 9 pc with nvidia gpu (e.g. gtx1030) support 4k HDR10?

Would be nice if you could give me a quick answer.

Chris