Which SAT>IP Server to get.

• Unfortunately, it is an unmanaged switch - no web interface and no options of any kind.

It is a shame as it is small and efficient and otherwise works well.

I guess I either need to buy a replacement from another brand or risk sending the switch back to the manufacturers on the grounds that it is faulty.

Have you ever come across a SAT>IP device (or indeed any device) simply not working with a particular model of switch?

• not really, but there are some switches out there with "smart" features that "optimise" iptv etc ... they are known to create problems - a classic dump switch should do it - no idea why this switch is failing, maybe try an other port ? Try port 1 or 8 - maybe there is some safemode or something.

• Just got myself one of the TELESTAR digibit twin and I noticed that CvH was discussing it over on the KodiNerd forum. I have it connected but with the instructions only been in German I am having a few issues setting it up.

Using TVheadend 4.2 and I have had it working once and both tuners appeared in the DVB tuners TAB in conjunction with my VIM2 dTV board tuner, had two streams going at once showing it was working. Since then I migrated both my SAT feeds to the Telestar and ever since it has disappeared from the TVheadend interface. Don't know much about the inner workings of TVh and I think the settings are in different locations on LE compared to a Linux setup. Not much clear advice on this device outside of Germany.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shoog

• Could you check with windows and dvbiewer lite SETUP_SATIP.zip if the setup works at windows ?

just to be sure that the initial setup works.

Btw as far as I know it works, no problems that I am aware of.

Pls use "wait for network" option at the le settings or tvh might start before you have an network.

Just got it working on my Android Tablet so its definitely OK. Seems important to use the first LNB input or it fails to scan for channels.

Will try the wait for network and a reboot in a bit.

EDIT: Tried that option, but could only get it to wait for 1 tuner and the onboard dTV tuner would satisfy that. Made no difference.

EDIT: OK worked out how to set the wait for two tuners - but now the TVH doesn't launch.

Shoog

Edited 2 times, last by Shoog (April 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM).

• EDIT: OK worked out how to set the wait for two tuners - but now the TVH doesn't launch.

This only works for physical tuners and not for network tuners, for network tuners you need to wait for network at the LE settings addon.

Just got it working on my Android Tablet so its definitely OK

yea then it is "just" an Tvh setup problem, I guess we can fix that too :)

• Ok cheers for the input. Will try the wait for network setting on LE. there is a clue that it might be this because i also consistently get the message seen in post 577 of [8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

I have a suspicion that it might be a permissions issue as I am also having problems importing my webgrabplus guide.xml as well. Everything else operates as ROOt but I believe that tvh operates as a special user so if the permissions are wrong it will not be able to read/write settings.

What i am going to do:

- set wait for network.

- chmod the permissions on my webgrabplus and TVheadend42 folders to 755

- set all the trace options on my TVheadend server and see what errors its throwing

- check firewall is disabled

Its just odd that TVH detected the server once and then promptly forgot all about it when I moved the second feed over from my dTV card. I have however experienced similar behaviour with my old HDstar usb card and the dTV, and always found card detection very sensitive on my last PC based setup.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog (April 10, 2018 at 1:33 PM).

• Tried all those things and no change. Looking for a guide I came across on the TVH forum which told you some ways to debug this but can't seems to find it again.

OK found the guide:

SAT>IP protocol - Tvheadend
    "

- The TVHeadEnd can't discover your device using the SSDP/UPNP protocol. In this case you can fix it forcing to read the device description. Edit the file "/etc/default/tvheadend" and add the URL of the XML description of your device (you can found the URL with some external tool). As example TVH_ARGS="--satip_xml description.xml". With this I fixed the discovery of my STB device."

But this bit is just plain cryptic, what external tool and where do I look for the device description. It is looking for the description file and falling down.

Shoog

Edited 2 times, last by Shoog (April 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM).

• best guess you somehow killed your Tvh install

disable Tvh, copy your userdata, delete the userdata, start Tvh again and have a look if it works there

OK will try.

EDIT: Ok did a clean install of the tvheadend server and this at least reinitialized the satips process. Seems I still need to give it the description file.

Code
    2018-04-10 19:04:16.667 htsp: 192.168.1.14 [ Kodi Media Center ]: Identified as user ''
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:04:17.658 avahi: Service 'Tvheadend' successfully established.
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:30.806 satip: Triggered new server discovery
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.129 satips: use --satip_bindaddr parameter to select the local IP for SAT>IP
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.129 satips: using Google lookup (might block the task until timeout)
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.228 satips: Starting SAT>IP RTSP server 172.21.28.41:554
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.228 satips: SAT>IP Server reinitialized
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.228 satips:   HTTP 172.21.28.41:9981, RTSP 172.21.28.41:554
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.228 satips:   descramble 1, muxcnf 0
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.229 satips:   tuner[fe=1]: DVB-S #1
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:07:51.229 satips:   tuner[fe=2]: DVB-S2 #1
    Code
    2018-04-10 19:09:23.250 satip: Triggered new server discovery

I am weary at this stage, very weary.

Its starting to look like a fresh install of the whole system might be the only solution to clearing out the bugs.

I just can't understand how it found the Digibit once and then simply moving the SAT cable shagged the whole setup.

Shoog

Edited 3 times, last by Shoog (April 10, 2018 at 7:31 PM).

• It seems to have turned out you were right CVH my box configuration was somehow corrupted. I rolled back to an earlier version and the Digibit Twin reappeared on the DVB tab. Setup and working fine. Haven't yet tried moving both feeds over to the Digibit and that will tell if there is some other lingering issue. I also switched off a remote Router which may have been messing up the DNS service on the network. Could have been a combination of causes.

Anyway its working now so thanks.

Shoog

• is the digibit R1 still the device to get or are there any newer solutions?`

They rebuild my flat and the TV Ports are on the wrong end of the room.

I still use my old mini ITX System with an PCI DVB Card and a raspi as TV Headend frontend, but the miniITX System is in an hifi case and huge.

• is the digibit R1 still the device to get or are there any newer solutions?`

They rebuild my flat and the TV Ports are on the wrong end of the room.

I still use my old mini ITX System with an PCI DVB Card and a raspi as TV Headend frontend, but the miniITX System is in an hifi case and huge.

The R1 is still available if you look hard enough but it is quite expensive €300 approx. The alternative Twin at €80 is available from the likes of here https://talk-point.de/products/10703597-0

• would I have any advantages using the R1 with the alternative firmware?

there are some on ebay atm.

No idea. I’ve never used one. I do know they are expensive though. Just be careful they are not fakes. I’m not seeing any available on eBay at the moment. They are available on Amazon UK £287 plus delivery but they don’t deliver outside the UK.

• would I have any advantages using the R1 with the alternative firmware?

there are some on ebay atm.

If you have a need to receive MPLS/Multistream stuff from 5W I think that is only possible with the Sat Axe firmware. Also that gives you a lot more flexibility in config terms (Unicable stuff, tuner vs LNB allocation etc.)

I paid far less than the current going rate for my Digibit (something like £100?) - if you are spending £300 then the Kathrein Exip 418 is worth a look. 8 tuners... I have one of these fed from a Unicable II Global Invacom GTU fed over the fibre distribution system I have access too (we aren't allowed satellite dishes or TV aerials on our estate as it's in a conservation area so get 28.2 and Freeview via an RF-over-fibre feed)