Can't access SMB share on LE after upgrade to 8.1.1

• I've been running LE for a while on 8.0.1 and wanted to update my install to pick up the patches in Kodi 17.4. I upgraded from 8.0.1 to 8.1.1 and everything went fine until I tried to access my LE box to view TVH recordings. I can't access the SMB shares from Windows 10 or from various android devices.

I tried rolling back to 8.1.0 and had the same error so i went back to 8.0.2. Everything is now fine.

But I'm now back to a RC of Kodi.

Does something in my configuration need to be changed with the move from 8.0.x to 8.1.x?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I just saw the release notes on the 8.1.1 blog post. I'll have to look at them in the AM to see if I can get LE, Android & Windows 10 all on the same page.

• Update:

I'm back on the 8.1.1 version of LE and I can't access my SMB shares from Windows 10.

I've read the info on the blog post:

• The Kodi SMB client sometimes fails to negotiate SMB3 with old Samba versions. There is a new option in Kodi Settings > Services > SMB client > that allows SMB2 or SMB1 connections to be forced for compatibility with legacy SMB servers.

I can't find this new option.

There's also a note on updating samba.conf but no info how do to this.

• Samba 3.x /storage/.config/samba.conf configurations must be updated to use the new Samba 4.x template (samba.conf.sample) as some Samba 3.x configuration is incompatible. The embedded Samba server may fail to start until this is done.

Can anyone point me to some instructions to get past this SMB issue?

• I also migrated to 8.1.1 from 8.0.2 and am using Windows 10 Creators Update to access Samba shares. Windows 10 Creators Update has SMB1 disabled by default, so changing the option within LE is pointless. But make sure you enable SMB password in the LE Settings addon and use the name and password listed there when logging into the Samba shares.

Also backup the old samba.conf. Then copy the samba.conf.sample to samba.conf and reboot LE. In my setup, the previous samba.conf from 8.0.2 did not work at all with 8.1.1.

• I also migrated to 8.1.1 from 8.0.2 and am using Windows 10 Creators Update to access Samba shares. Windows 10 Creators Update has SMB1 disabled by default, so changing the option within LE is pointless. But make sure you enable SMB password in the LE Settings addon and use the name and password listed there when logging into the Samba shares.

Also backup the old samba.conf. Then copy the samba.conf.sample to samba.conf and reboot LE. In my setup, the previous samba.conf from 8.0.2 did not work at all with 8.1.1.

All of this plus a couple of reboots of both LE & Windows and now everything is working.

Thanks M3Rocket!

• Same problem, service set to v2 in Kodi, min v2 max v3 in libreelec (default settings), no matter if i set password or not i cannot even see media player in home network PCs.

Using \\192.168.1.23 in file explorer address bar brings up a pop up window asking for password. No matter what psssword i use, i always get error, wrong username / pass

I did try both, disabled and enabled password (libreelec config program) , used a couple of simple user/pass so there is no typo or anything, .. no luck

PS I have read in portal a reply about win 10 hack to add back smbv1 (?) , Dont know if trick works, but i really do not want to do that, its the only thing i did not try

• Same problem, service set to v2 in Kodi, min v2 max v3 in libreelec (default settings), no matter if i set password or not i cannot even see media player in home network PCs.

Using \\192.168.1.23 in file explorer address bar brings up a pop up window asking for password. No matter what psssword i use, i always get error, wrong username / pass

I did try both, disabled and enabled password (libreelec config program) , used a couple of simple user/pass so there is no typo or anything, .. no luck

PS I have read in portal a reply about win 10 hack to add back smbv1 (?) , Dont know if trick works, but i really do not want to do that, its the only thing i did not try

You have to change the SMB setting in kodi-system-service-SMB client-maximum protocol version to 1..Then browse to your windows 10 share from file manager and add source...enter name and password and you can change back to SMB 2 or 3...Then just browse your windows share from the added source...you cannot add smb source while on Smb2 or higher..at least didnt work for me...

To access Libreelec smb from windows..name:libreelec password:libreelec

To enable SMB1 in Creators go to control panel-programs-programs and features-turn windows features on or off and tick smb1/cifs shares

• Same problem here

I have a Windows XP file server with shared folders.

I have a RPi2 running LibreELEC

The Windows shares are added as video sources in Kodi on the RPi2.

On 8.0.2 the shares can be accessed fine.

After upgrading to 8.1.1, any attempt to access a share results in an "Operation not permitted"

I then downgraded back to 8.0.2 and everything continued to work as usual

• Even if you set kodi-system-service-SMB client-maximum protocol version to 1?

• A normal account.

I even did try to set in Libreelec the same username AND same password as in my windows PC, no matter what user/pass there is always the same error

Changing the LibreELEC Samba Server configuration (in the LibreELEC Settings add-on) will have absolutely no effect on how Kodi uses libsmbclient to access your Windows 10 PC.

The only Samba settings relevant to communication with a Windows Samba share are in Settings > Services > SMB client (Advanced/Expert level settings required).

If you have previously entered a username/password for your Windows Samba share into Kodi, and ticked "remember this password", then make sure you don't have an invalid password configured in /storage/.kodi/userdata/passwords.xml

• Thank you all guys for answering, no i NEVER had any passwords.

I used to just open a windows explorer window, click "Network", and there it was, in the list, among all other computers in the home network.

NOW, i dont see media player there anymore, AND typing \\libreelec wont help either.

I can only access if i type IP \\192.168.1.16, and in that case it asks for a password, as explained above. Fist time i have seen/heard about passwords and password settings is now, with this recent update.

• By default the LibreELEC Samba server is not configured to use a username/password, but it's hard to know what your settings are now. Are you sure you're using the correct IP address for the LibreELEC server? Are you using a custom samba.conf for the LibreELEC Samba server, because if you are and haven't updated it then that is almost certainly the problem (your old Samba 3 config is not compatible with Samba 4).

Network browsing has a dependency on the SMB1 protocol and is unlikely to work when the server non longer supports SMB1.

• Yes, i am using a custom samba.conf

Same for long long time... It is the default file actually, i have only added one share at the bottom of the file, for the entire "storage"

This is it samba_conf.zip

If this is causing the problem, could it be temp fixed somehow? I need network access for at least my TVheadend recordings folder, so that i can transfer all my recent TV recordings to our storage PC. If those are saved, i could format + reinstall libreelec from scratch

Many thanks :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, the posted samba.conf, comes from a recent backup, it's what it was BEFORE update.

I have no idea what it is right now, inside the live installation. No idea if update process or tests changed it somehow :S

• That file is not compatible. It's your responsibility to maintain your own custom configuration. This has been explained in the 8.1.0 announcement, which I guess nobody bothers to read.

You now need to update your custom samba.conf based on the latest /storage/.config/samba.conf.sample - ie. re-apply your changes to the new sample file. Since you've lost Samba access, you'll need to do this via ssh (username: root, password: libreelec).

In the next 8.1.x release we will now be disabling incompatible custom samba configurations so that, worst case, you have working Samba but none of your custom shares or other changes (until you re-apply them).

• ...In the next 8.1.x release we will now be disabling incompatible custom samba configurations so that worse case, you have working Samba but none of your custom shares or other changes (until you re-apply them).

Alright then, i will be waiting for the next release, to disable incompatible file, and regain network access.

That should be a PERFECT solution.

Thank you for your help.

• That will not be the PERFECT solution because all we do is detect it's an old config and rename it out of the way. Samba will then start with our default template and whatever customisations you did before will still be missing. We make no attempt to fix your previous config .. that's your own problem to solve.