SACD files (.dff .dfs) on S905x devices

• Hi,

I have a problem reproducing the dfs and dff files (no sound) on Mecool M8S pro+ (Arm S905x) with Libreelec installed on the internal memory.

The same files are correctly reproduced on the X86 Kodi version.

This is the log (I have hidden some parts):

• I will put this on my todo list. Please don't be angry if it takes some time to care about - perhaps some other developer will find out a solution earlier. ;)

• No Problem on my M8S Mini II (S905X)

Display Spoiler

Edited once, last by tecfreak (September 18, 2017 at 12:54 AM).

• Avok78 Please provide sample files that do not work on your box.

Hi all,

thanks for your help.

Here you could please find some dsf files (royalty free :)) that I have successfully tested on Kodi X86 version (on Ubuntu and on LibreElec X86 version):

In particular these are the files that I used:

1) DSF - DSD64 (2Ch)

2) DSF - DSD64 (5.1Ch)

I tested on a Mecool MS8 pro+ (S950x) with LibreElec 8.1.8 installed on memory and the files are loaded from the USB drive.

I discovered that the dsf/dff 2Ch versions are reproduced well.

Instead, for the 5.1Ch version, the files are reproduced very bad (scattering, on-off, very noisy).

Also, I have noticed that when the files are reproduced the CPU3 reaches 100%, the CPU2 reaches ~80%, CPU0: ~5% and CPU1: ~20%.

At this point, I believe that it's a CPU problem that is not powerful enough to reproduce those file types.

Anyway, in the kodi setting I tried to put the Resample option to Low-Medium or High but I had the same results.

Thanks.

Regards.

• Both files no problem on my X96 2G/16G (S905X) running LE 8.1.6. Played from NAS over 100Mb network. Output is PCM 2/0 and PCM 3/4.1 respectively on my A/V receiver.

• Both files no problem on my X96 2G/16G (S905X) running LE 8.1.6. Played from NAS over 100Mb network. Output is PCM 2/0 and PCM 3/4.1 respectively on my A/V receiver.

Really?

Can I ask you what type of Audio settings you are using?

I tried on 3 different boxes (S812, S905x, S912) and I have the same problem.

Thanks.

• I guess nothing special in there. I can send you the guisettings.xml also.

Hi mime,

thanks for the pictures.

We are using the same audio settings! At this point, I don't know what is happening with my boxes.
    I mean, today I copied the file to the internal memory, but the results are the same, when the file is "reproduced", the CPU loads go crazy and the audio is on and off (attached there is the picture, sorry it's fuzzy).

Am I the only one with this problem :| ?

• Hey i am just thinking with you.. mine minix U1 box plays the file just fine.. connected trough hdmi to receiver.. and file from external harddrive..

oh and resample on medium... if on high, audio interuptions Every second..

Edited once, last by copyer (September 24, 2017 at 8:08 AM).

• Shut :|

At this point I don't know where is the problem.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

.dsf files play ok on my S905X box. Is there a particular reason why you are storing .dsf files in the first instance? Most PC-based or AML media players need to convert the DSD stream to PCM for transport across the HDMI connection to the AV amplifier. Why not convert the .dsf file to PCM offline and store it as .flac?

I have about 100 SACDs and have them ripped to .iso images using an old PS3. I do have a Sony Blu-Ray player and Sony AV amp which will handle bitstreamed DSD data, so I can actually play the raw DSD data stored on my NAS (as .dsf files) using either the amp or the Blu-Ray. However, any other media player will require to convert the DSD to PCM on-the-fly. Kodi (on the S905x anyway), seems to transcode the data to 192kHz PCM. This is not a usual or recommended sampling rate for DSD as 176kHz or 88.2kHz is recommended for best results.

To be honest, I can't detect (with my old ears and quality of kit) any playback difference between the raw DSD stream and the pre-converted 88.2kHz PCM data or the 192kHz on-the fly PCM data from Kodi. :-/

The advantage I find with pre-converting the DSD data to 88.2kHz flac files for storage on my NAS is that I can tag them easily using standard tagging tools and that I can download them directly to my phone or other mobile devices for mobile playback without any further processing.

If you're using high-end playback gear there's probably a case for storing the .dsf files, but Kodi is going to transcode them, so you would need another means for playing them if you wanted the native DSD sent to your amp. In my case, the method for playing .dsf over the network on the Sony is only via DLNA and that's a very unsatisfactory method as I don't see the tagged data properly. The sound is good but the interface is rubbish!

• At this point I don't know where is the problem.

Any suggestion?

Crosscheck:

Fact nr. 1 - LE is working

Fact nr. 2 - KODI is working

Check the cable - in the past I got troble with cheap cables

Check the AVR settings

Hint:

Convert the music files for better compatibility