Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• zmokkie If manufacturer of your box modifies u-boot (in Android firmware) so that it can wake on IR remote and adds a correct IR code, then it works. For example, I have a few boxes where it works: WeTek Hub, Minix U1, Beelink GT1.

Most manufacturers enable only "fake" shutdown in Android (read: device is awake, only HDMI is turned off) so they don't need to modify u-boot (read: lazy).

• zmokkie If manufacturer of your box modifies u-boot (in Android firmware) so that it can wake on IR remote and adds a correct IR code, then it works. For example, I have a few boxes where it works: WeTek Hub, Minix U1, Beelink GT1.

Most manufacturers enable only "fake" shutdown in Android (read: device is awake, only HDMI is turned off) so they don't need to modify u-boot (read: lazy).

Is Mecool KII PRO one of them?

When I turn the box off, it cuts off USB power.

So shouldn't be one of them, right?

• Is Mecool KII PRO one of them?

When I turn the box off, it cuts off USB power.

So shouldn't be one of them, right?

I cannot answer that question as I don't have KII Pro. Maybe someone else can answer. I don't know how cutting off USB power is relevant, I thought this was about powering on by IR remote?

• I cannot answer that question as I don't have KII Pro. Maybe someone else can answer. I don't know how cutting off USB power is relevant, I thought this was about powering on by IR remote?

Nope, you said most manufacturers don't power off the device, they just disable HDMI output. I'm surprised to learn that.

I just wanted to know whether KII Pro is one of them. When I power off the device by ir remote, USB devices also get turned off.

• I bought a Pro S905x Android 6 Smart TV BOX Marshmallow Quad Core 8GB on ebay. $30, 8 GB emmc, 1 GB RAM. Should arrive in a week. I'll install Kszaq 8.1.1 LE Kodi build, report back on the experience. So far this seems cheap for a 905x box. It also comes with a wireless keyboard.

• i have a h96 pro, not the + variant.

In android i can turn it of and start again with the remote.

But with Libreelec it just reboots then i try to turn it of.

In android then i turn it of the light on the box goes off and if i put in standby it turn orange i think.

Are there somthing missing in the dtb file or are there something else i can do to fix it?

• I bought a Tanix TX3 Mini to get a feel for both Android TV and LE on a box with an Ethernet port and have realized that I want to dual-boot between Android and LE. The remote receiver in this box is very finicky and I have to use a toothpick to dual boot.

Are there boxes that are easier to dual-boot (say with a reset switch) and that have remotes that have a large capture range? It will be hooked up to a 1080p TV for the near future and I am OK to buy another box when I upgrade the TV to 4K.

Thanks.

• I bought a Tanix TX3 Mini to get a feel for both Android TV and LE on a box with an Ethernet port and have realized that I want to dual-boot between Android and LE. The remote receiver in this box is very finicky and I have to use a toothpick to dual boot.

Are there boxes that are easier to dual-boot (say with a reset switch) and that have remotes that have a large capture range? It will be hooked up to a 1080p TV for the near future and I am OK to buy another box when I upgrade the TV to 4K.

Thanks.

If you have installed Libreelec to usb or sd card, then by using the default estuary skin, you can reboot to internal nand (android)

If you are in android, you can install an android app reboot to Libreelec

• If you have installed Libreelec to usb or sd card, then by using the default estuary skin, you can reboot to internal nand (android)

If you are in android, you can install an android app reboot to Libreelec

I do have LE installed on USB and will try the reboot from LE to Android tonight.

What is the Android app I should install to reboot in the other direction?

Thanks.

P.S.: Still need to deal with the balky remote :( Maybe the Xiaomi bluetooth remote control that's been talked about

• hi all,

long time reader, first time poster...

i have two rp3 libreelec boxes running kodi 17.5...

they perform ok, but i am looking to upgrade them very soon...

i don't need to dual boot android and kodi, basically just want a faster version of what i have now...

i have read through the thread and am wondering if i could get some guidance as to which device would be considered a suitable upgrade to replicate what i have in the rp3, but for better performance?

my library is stored on a NAS, wired ethernet to each box, simple IR remotes. my tv's aren't 4K, just full HD...

would the odroid c2 be the best upgrade path?

or can i buy a mecool box and configure it to just run kodi, with no dual boot?

thoughts appreciated.

• Welcome.

I will put out a general warning about the MECOOL M8S Pro Plus again - it seems it is a bit of a lottery still if you are going to get one with properly working eMMC flash storage.

In fact I personally would avoid that particular MECOOL model all together because there are still users over on the Freaktab website having issues with newly shipped M8S Pro+ devices.

All the other MECOOL's do not seem to have such eMMC flash problems.

Branded boxes like the MINIX U1 / U9 and ODROID C2 have proper heat sinks, that will very likely give you greater reliability long term. The MINIX's for example run 20-30 degrees C cooler than 99% of AMLogic devices. If you do not need HDR, the U1 would be a great pickup with it's excellent A2 lite Wireless remote.

The safely Overclocked ODROID C2 (1.752GHz) with eMMC flash is the fastest device I've tested in the AMLogic arsenal - as such it's my day to day LE box. You need to use eMMC storage for speed.

I even run power for it from a USB port on my TV, that is all it needs. You need the USB > barrel pin type power supply cable, although a micro USB cable will do the job as well.

The C2 can use self programmable Lirc for IR remotes. Wireless remotes are better tho ;)

Also added to the C2 is a $4 CSR v4.0 Bluetooth USB dongle and a $10 Xiaomi Mi Box BT remote.

That turns it into nice snappy setup, with great response - even when using Aeon Nox.

AML S912 devices are nice and snappy setups as well. Downside with the extra SoC cores, they can run a bit Hot with generic heatsinks.

I've no experience flashing generic Android boxes with LE to internal eMMC memory.

This is the easier, more flexible setup for LE Kodi running from eMMC IMHO:

[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

In the end it really depends on how much you want to spend vs reliability and speed of the device.

• thanks for the detailed response, mate... :)

looks like the odroid c2 is at the top of my list...

• I can soft reboot in both directions.

Thanks again!

If you satisfied with the pi3 and don`t need 4k then no need to change to amlogic especially not to s905.