[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

• Sorry I don´t want use internal memory for data. I don´t renamed nothing. Only I want to start an clean installation but Libreelec show this message to me.

PD: Sorry for my english i am use google translate for some word.

• Should I use a 32GB UH1 Samsung evo SD card or a 64GB UH3 Samsung evo plus one on the M8S Pro L?

Or should I just plain install it on the emmc?

Which one would you say is gonna give me more responsiveness?

• Hi gents,

my experience so far. After first time I executed: "e2label /dev/data "LIBREELEC_DISK" I got the message "recovering journal". Checked with blkid but /dev/data was not labaled as required.

So i hit a second time e2label /dev/data "LIBREELEC_DISK" - no recovering journal message but /dev/data changed and now back in business.

Perfect guide, thanks @kszaq

• When i type blkid, i do not show a - /dev/data -- thus am unable to label it. This is on a H96Pro+ S912. Any hints? On 8.90.3.

/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"

/dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="2301-1436" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="70347706-01"

/dev/sda2: LABEL="STORAGE" UUID="8fbb1db9-b05f-4805-a71c-9ce8a0989c23" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="70347706-02"

Edited once, last by sabre6 (February 9, 2018 at 4:48 PM).

• Booting to Android and SSH and then use blkid does now show /dev/data, but there is no e2label command in Android, and i dont think it was really meant to go from there -- meant for LE. Perhaps 8.90.3 does not allow this to work, or maybe it is the box?

• I followed the guide, unfortunately I renamed the device to "LIBREELEC_DISK" instad of "STORAGE". Now I can boot into a Libreelec (Linux?) shell via SD card. I can do "blkid" to show the devices, but "e2label" throws an error "not found".

What would be the proper way to change the label from the shell? Sorry, Linux noob here...

• I followed the guide, unfortunately I renamed the device to "LIBREELEC_DISK" instad of "STORAGE". Now I can boot into a Libreelec (Linux?) shell via SD card. I can do "blkid" to show the devices, but "e2label" throws an error "not found".

What would be the proper way to change the label from the shell? Sorry, Linux noob here...

Burn new SD card and boot it. Submit command e2label /dev/data "STORAGE"

• Hi guys, can I just confirm, that once this is done, Libreelec only boots from the SD card, all operation are run on the emmc. Basically i want to confirm that I can use a small and slow SD card and it wont affect performance.

Thanks

• Hi guys, can I just confirm, that once this is done, Libreelec only boots from the SD card, all operation are run on the emmc.

That's correct. It may be slow to boot but once running will be as fast as if you had installed to internal.

• Hi guys, since installing to internal EMMC, my box mostly wont boot up android with the external SD card is removed, the "minix" sign never comes up, just a sign from the TV telling me the resolution and frequency, after about 6 reboots it worked, any ideas...note, with the SD card in, it boots up LIBREELEC all the time

Thanks

• This topic is rather installing libre to the SD card but use internal memory for data. If you have installed LibreElec on your internal EMMC, then Android is already gone, unless you did not opt for a dual-boot type of thing I am not sure even that`s possible with your device.

Anyway, that`s not the best thread, look for "flashing LibreELEC to internal memory". BTW - last I ve heard that`s not directly recommended.

On the other hand now you don`t have the problem with Android, and run a pure Libre box :)

• Hi.. thanks for your response..sorry I am using the dual boot method with the libreelec data being on the emmc..neer an SD card to boot to libreelec..this is working well..however when I remove the sd card..it boots to Minix android about 30 percent of the time..the other time it.jist stalls on a black screen..mthe Minix logo doesn't even come up?