[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• I may have misunderstood when you reported it: did you explicitly enable hardware acceleration for SD videos?

No, I did not touch the hardware acceleration settings since my first libreelec install which was 8.0.1j.

Now, on your testing1 I took a look at the settings (didn't change them) and it is set to SD always accelerated.

But, after changing it no never and playing the same h264 SD movie, async video and audio for ~8 secs remains.

• No, I did not touch the hardware acceleration settings since my first libreelec install which was 8.0.1j.

Now, on your testing1 I took a look at the settings (didn't change them) and it is set to SD always accelerated.

But, after changing it no never and playing the same h264 SD movie, async video and audio for ~8 secs remains.

Thank you, it's not what I thought. Also, I've made no changes that could have fixed this since testing1.

• Hi johngalt,

thanks for your great work.

After testing all your builds and kszaq builds, the only time i have 4k working is with your experimental builds. All other Show only flickering Color on the screen.

I have a beelink 905x and a hisense 4k tv. I report this, because i was so happy when you first uploaded your experimental builds. Now with the testing builds and kszaq builds there is no 4 k for me.

• Hi johngalt,

thanks for your great work.

After testing all your builds and kszaq builds, the only time i have 4k working is with your experimental builds. All other Show only flickering Color on the screen.

I have a beelink 905x and a hisense 4k tv. I report this, because i was so happy when you first uploaded your experimental builds. Now with the testing builds and kszaq builds there is no 4 k for me.

Thank you, this is actually very good news. You don't get 4k output on the "marshmallow" builds either such as kszaq's current 8.0.2 builds?

The reason why I stopped publishing the "experimental" builds is because some h264 playback was very broken on them, and >=50hz 4k output was stuck at 8bit. I'll be uploading another experimental build tomorrow with some reverts that workaround the issue, and will be interested to hear if that also has 4k output for you.

You might also want to try a shorter "premium" hdmi cable if you have one laying around (a few users have reported this fixed their 4k output issues).

• Thanks for answering so quickly. No 4k on any of the kszaq builds. I tried already different cables. Does not change the Situation. I am happy to hear there will be another experimental. Thank you

• Hi johngalt this is probably a dumb question but would you recommend using 8.0.2 - testing 3? or should I stick with 8.0.2 testing 1? which is working very well for me.

• Hi johngalt this is probably a dumb question but would you recommend using 8.0.2 - testing 3? or should I stick with 8.0.2 testing 1? which is working very well for me.

Well..., The more people that tryout testing 3, the faster he will get to the point where he can remove the label "testing";)

• ...but it could be a sync issue of some kind (though if you also get it on 50/60hz, then possibly not).

Wow, I just tested 50Hz and 60Hz at 422,8bit and 444,8bit - no flicker whatsoever!
    (I just disabled refresh rate switching and enabled sync playback to display instead to test on the same 23.976fps movie...)

I know this is a lot to ask since I seem to be the only one affected by this - but is there something you could do about this sync issue?
    That would be so amazing!
    Of course I understand if that does not interest you though....

Edit:
    If I play a 10bit video in the same environment (8bit output, 60Hz) the flicker is there. So I guess the 10bit to 8bit dithering has an impact as well?

Edited once, last by jd17 (June 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM).

• Code
    Cloe:~ # cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/dc_cap
    420,8bit
    444,10bit
    444,8bit
    422,10bit
    422,8bit
    rgb,10bit
    rgb,8bit

If I have Kodi in 4k gui settings I get black screen with any movie I play when I set:

Code
    echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

On the other hand when I set Kodi in normal 1080p gui everything plays fine.

Except 4k movies.

I have to set it to rgb 8bit for 4k to even display on my Philips 43PUS6101/12.

Would this be a cable problem? (no avr, directly connected to the TV)

Another problem is that some HEVC have problems with noagat stuff somehow.

With the full MM build of kszaq (8.02a and b) they play fine.

Like Attack on Titan stuff from pseudo.

Edit: Hmz 444,8bit seems to work for a 4k 10bit movie. But none of the 10bit will work.

• From what you've said, I don't think it is a pixel clock/sync issue. That's also something I really don't want to mess around with (sorry, huge can of worms and potential for other issues).

So far two others reported a similar issue and solved it by using a shorter "premium" cable. This doesn't fall inline with symptoms of the 4k nougat output bug (like @RedCat's with a denon AVR).

Thank you for reminding me about the pseudo encode issue. This was reported awhile back in kszaq's thread, and I don't think anyone ever got to it (or no samples were posted)? I put it on my list.

BTW, because most displays upscale better than these boxes, it's recommended to keep the GUI at 1080 since it will switch resolutions up to 4k on 4k media.

• I have the GUI at 1080p now.

So most movie etc wil work fine now.

Just not 4k, will try to get a premium cable and see how that works for me :)

Thnx for the anwser and I dont know if its premitted to put a samsple of that particular file of attack on titan online for you tho.

• From what you've said, I don't think it is a pixel clock/sync issue. That's also something I really don't want to mess around with (sorry, huge can of worms and potential for other issues).

Hmm... weird.
    I understand that you don't want to change a running system.
    However, could you tell me how to try around a bit myself? Or is that too complicated?

• VoYaGeRTM I had a similar problem with you. I tried the test1 and the test3 builds, and I use test3 now, but the 4k gui and the 4k movies working good. No black screen and no "no sognal" message.

• Is there any reason you couldn't just create a sync delay rule in advancedsettings?

I think you might have misunderstood what my issue is about.
    It's not about audio/video being out of sync.

My AVR does not "like" the output signal of the S905X and causes a weird flicker in the lower grayscale range.
    This flicker is not there when I connect the box directly to the TV.
    johngalt initially thought it might be a pixel clock/sync issue.

A pixel freq or vertical/horizontal freq issue.

• I am testing your builds on my Pana 42GT60 however the panel is not showing which mode (422,444,420, 8bit, 10bit) is being used and I do now own AVR which does. The only thing the Pana tells you is 1080 24Hz. Is there a cat /proc/something or debug setting to check which output mode the Amlogic chip / Kodi / LE is using? As both default Kodi debug OSD infos are not showing much in depth info too. Thanks!

• I'm posting this here instead of starting a new thread simply for those that want to test John's Nougat-WIP Kernel on AML S912's

Its a very early LibreELEC 9.x Kodi Leia Alpha that is subject to much experimentation and change.

The 3GB S912 modded device trees are in the following directory:

Kodi video playback does work pretty well having said that, I'm using a S912 - MINIX U9.

Index of /LE-9.x-S912-Nougat-WIP/

GitHub - wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI

Edited once, last by wrxtasy (June 28, 2017 at 9:16 AM).