console access?

• Hello, first post here. :D

I'm using LibreELEC v8.0.1 on an x86_64.

How do I access the console? I need local access - not network.

My USB NIC has failed. I would rather have the embedded NIC working anyway but it's not shown in Kodi. Which means I need to access dmesg, etc... via a CLI to troubleshoot this.

I've tried the usual CTRL+ALT+F3 (and all the other F keys) - nothing. The only one that works is CTRL-ALT-F1 to get my Kodi GUI back.

Thank you.

• The SSH server needs to be enabled. Either continously at the initial wizard, or via the on/off switch in the LibreELEC Settings add-on.

• For local access install the system tools addon from the libreelec repository. That will do the job.

• Sorry - I may not have been clear enough. This device does not have any network access as the USB network adapter I was using is broken. So, installing from a remote repo isn't going to happen. :s

But, I tried it anyway and got: "Installation failed" :P
    [hr]
    Maybe I can download that package and put it on a USB stick and install from that? Is that possible?

• which kind of device is it?

IIRC you can't have both (wired and wireless). To use the internal ethernet port, just disable wifi completely. Or is the internal ethernet port also broken?

• which kind of device is it?

IIRC you can't have both (wired and wireless). To use the internal ethernet port, just disable wifi completely. Or is the internal ethernet port also broken?

It's a Shuttle XS35GT V2 that I've had for some time now. So I guess it qualifies as an 'older' unit. :cool:

Wifi is disabled.

Internal port isn't (wasn't) broken. But on every distro I've used on this unit right back to XBMCbuntu, I had to compile and install an additional driver for the NIC. So, I eventually started using a USB Gigabit NIC. Not actually gigabit of course, but good enough.

I'd like to get to the innards to diagnose this but, this is also the first distro I've had where I couldn't access the console. :s
    [hr]
    Ah, then it occurs to me - "why don't I just enable wifi and download the required repo package?" :blush:

I'll try that in the morning.

• You can't install anything on LibreELEC beside you compile it yourself and add it as a package. There's no apt-get on our distro

So either your chances are:

- using Ethernet
    - get some supported WiFi dongle
    - use another distro

Maybe, if you provide the dmesg, we could add something at the next release. But that's not for sure.

Edited once, last by DaVu ().

• Add "tty" or "debugging" to kernel boot params in extlinux.conf (in the first partition on the boot disk) and a console will be available on CTRL+ALT+F3. The first just gives the console. The second also puts various subsystems into extra (and persistent) logging mode; as well as having the console.