rtl8812au wifi dongle on RPi 3

• I used the these commands:

echo "options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/8812au.conf

cat /etc/modprobe.d/8812au.conf options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1

It is very stable now.... but on 2.4Ghz.... I didn't find a way to use the full ac potential..... (accept maybe upgrading to LE9)

The things I changed, can someone tell me how to get these back to default?

I'm not sure if they are reset (the file still exists), but unfortunatelky I've never been able to get a stable connection even with the modprobe file (and it's to a remote computer as well, so is very annoying having to turn the router's wifi on and off just to be able to ssh in). I was hoping that 8.2.2 would contain the updated 5.2.9 drivers (or whatever the latest version is now), but it didn't. Could they be added to the libreelec repo or something so we can easily install it if required without having to recompile the whole of libreelec?

Edited once, last by ajw107 (January 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM).

• Not sure if there is any interest after trying several different repositories for RTL8812AU several months ago, but...

I found GitHub - fariouche/rtl8812AU: Realtek 8812AU USB WiFi driver and I've successfully built and installed it for my 8821 based USB wifi device. I think the biggest issue with 5.2.9 before was that it only worked for 8812 and that caused a lot of LE/Milhouse users to have broken wifi.

I've been using the 5.2.9 driver for about a week now and haven't had any issues. This driver doesn't seem to support 8814, though I don't know if there are a lot of users with those devices.

• Not sure if there is any interest after trying several different repositories for RTL8812AU several months ago, but...

I found GitHub - fariouche/rtl8812AU: Realtek 8812AU USB WiFi driver and I've successfully built and installed it for my 8821 based USB wifi device. I think the biggest issue with 5.2.9 before was that it only worked for 8812 and that caused a lot of LE/Milhouse users to have broken wifi.

I've been using the 5.2.9 driver for about a week now and haven't had any issues. This driver doesn't seem to support 8814, though I don't know if there are a lot of users with those devices.

Would like to test this with my Edimax EW-7811UTC that uses a rtl8812au chip. But don't have the experience to make my own build. I would like to test this with LibreELEC 8.2.2?

• Just wanted to say that the driver currently in 9.0 is the first driver that has worked stable for me on 5ghz with my 8812au stick. Im using it now on 8.2 for several days without issues.

• Ahoj.

Mám Libreelec 8.2.4 a RPi Zero.

Koupil jsem adaptér řady EDIMAX USB EW-7811 AC600.

Nevím proč, ale síť Wi-Fi 5GHz v LE 8.2.4 nefunguje. 2.4GHz bez problémů. Ale kvůli rušení bych potřeboval přenos 5 GHz Wi-Fi. Zkoušel jsem EDIMAX poradenství, různé jádra, stavět ovladače a to stále nefunguje. Může někdo poradit?

• I thought I would share my experience with everyone about using an ac600 wifi dongle with a raspberry Pi. I have multiple Raspberry Pi systems ranging from the PI1 to a PI2 running version 8.2.5. I have to confess that I got very frustrated dealing with the problems I was experiencing. I even bought a new router, a tri-band EA9300 by Linksys, capable of handling 4k streaming data and my RPi2 was still having great difficulty connecting.

Whenever I would try to connect to one of 5G channels, the PI2 would refuse to connect. So in frustration I decided to try the 2.4G channel. I put in the passphrase and everything was working just fine. But 10 minutes later, Kodi indicated that the connection had dropped and when I tried to re-establish the connection, the passphrase field was blank and required me to re-enter the passphrase once again. I tried over and over again to enter the passphrase only to have to repeat the process 10 minutes later.

As it turns out, the drivers used by LE on the RPi aren't sophisticated enough to deal with a network with identical SSIDs and I have more than one router with the same SSID. I changed the SSID of the 2.4G channel on the new router and was then able to connect successfully without the connection dropping.

With that success, I decided to try the 5G channel again. Unfortunately, the same problems surfaced again. I then realized that the EA9300, a tri-band router, gave both of its 5G channels the same SSID. So once again, the drivers in LE had problems connecting. I turned off the fancy "5GHz steering mode" on the router which allowed me to name each of the 5G channels individually. I was then able to connect to any of the available 5G channels with no problem.

So the moral of the story is that if you use multiple SSIDs with Kodi boxes powered by a Raspberry Pi, make sure that the SSIDs are uniquely named so that you can avoid the conflicts I ran into.

• So chewitt, are you saying that the Edimax EW-7811UTC wifi dongle isn't any good?

Amazon users give it 3.7 stars out of 5 and New Egg users gives it 4 eggs out of 5.

So what do you recommend that will provide superior performance and can co-exist in an environment that has multiple channels with the same SSID?

• The LE staff have a generally low opinion on Realtek wireless devices. The hardware is probably reasonable, and performance on Windows is probably great because that's where they invest all the Engineering time. Their Linux drivers are an afterthought, and we're fed up with they way they breed chipsets and new drivers that rehash the same greatest-hits compilation of hacks over and over.

Find something that uses the ath9k driver, which is in-kernel and much higher quality code.

• The LE staff have a generally low opinion on Realtek wireless devices. The hardware is probably reasonable, and performance on Windows is probably great because that's where they invest all the Engineering time. Their Linux drivers are an afterthought, and we're fed up with they way they breed chipsets and new drivers that rehash the same greatest-hits compilation of hacks over and over.

Find something that uses the ath9k driver, which is in-kernel and much higher quality code.

I've been unable to find a USB WiFI dongle that utilizes the ath9k driver and works with the 802.11ac standard. Everything I've found so far only meets the 802.11n standard and is not compatible with the 802.11ac standard.

For those of us who are using a Raspberry Pi and want to use the 5G band because there's less interference with other WiFI devices, it appears that Realtec devices are our only choice.

• An 802.11n device with dual antenna supporting 5GHz modes and a well written driver will outperform the latest 80211.ac hardware with a crap driver. And 802.11n hardware might not make use of the full 802.11ac featureset, but it's fully compatible with 'ac' routers. And if you want your media to play reliably you'll run an Ethernet cable, because ultimately all wireless leads to disappointment :)

Last time I looked on eBay there were still plenty of 'Virgin' branded WNDA3200 adapters (which use ath9k) going cheap. I bought a couple for £4/each but that was a while ago. Use wikidevi to find other brands/models.

• rtl8812au support is included and enabled by default - no need to install or enable anything, your hardware should be detected automatically (unless it's using a vendor/product id that isn't currently supported).

If you're having hardware detection problems upload the latest zip file from the "Logfiles" Samba share.

• @millhouse, thank you for the response. That is great news about the drivers being included. How do I tell if the antenna is detected? When I iwconfig, it shows wlan0. Shouldn't the additional antennae show up and an additional device?