Posts by zaphod24

Not sure if there is any interest after trying several different repositories for RTL8812AU several months ago, but...

I found GitHub - fariouche/rtl8812AU: Realtek 8812AU USB WiFi driver and I've successfully built and installed it for my 8821 based USB wifi device. I think the biggest issue with 5.2.9 before was that it only worked for 8812 and that caused a lot of LE/Milhouse users to have broken wifi.

I've been using the 5.2.9 driver for about a week now and haven't had any issues. This driver doesn't seem to support 8814, though I don't know if there are a lot of users with those devices.

Tried the 8.1.2 build last night on my C2. Had some strange buffering and sound issues when watching CNN using liveTV (mythtv backend). Went back to 8.1.1 and no issues. Unfortunately I didn't capture a debug log before rolling back, but perhaps that is why 8.1.2 isn't in the first post yet?

I did upload the log to HRTL in case it helps.

It's possible, but not looking terribly likely at the moment. The new rtl8812au driver doesn't include the HAL support for 8821AU/8814AU, and that's the only drawback to this driver.

So at the moment a switch away from the old 5.1.5 driver would mean your hardware is no longer supported, but rtl8812au users would have working AC (based on feedback so far).

I don't know if it will be possible to continue using the older 5.1.5 driver for non-rtl8812au users - we may need to investigate that - or else we stick with the older and somewhat broken driver as that "works" for everyone. Ideally the HAL support for the other chipsets would be merged into this newer driver, giving the same support as before, but it appears that chipset support is becoming a little fragmented with the more recent drivers provided by Realtek.

No worries. For now, I think it makes sense to get as much testing as possible with the 5.2.9 driver in your test builds (not that my opinion counts anyway :) ). I'm hopeful that by the time Libreelec releases 9.0 that the driver will either be split or the 8821 and 8814 chipsets will be included in 5.2.9 at that point. I'm just glad to year that AC is finally stable for any of these Realtek chipsets. It is really too bad they're not more open with their drivers and firmware.

I have this device

{USB_DEVICE(0x7392, 0xA812), .driver_info = RTL8821}, /* Edimax - EW-7811UTC */

which apparently uses the 8821 and not 8812 driver. Excited that AC might finally work for others, but for now I guess I'm capped at 5.1.5. Is there any hope in getting the 8821 device(s) working with 5.2.9?

Thank you very much zaphod24, with this configuration it seems to work perfectly

Glad that worked for others. Can't remember where I found that, but it wasn't something I did on my own. I believe the comment I saw at the time was that the Realtek drivers were flaky due to crummy support/code from Realtek and that various developers were having to hack through things to fix them. I'm using the same Edimax USB devices on some RPi2 devices as an access point running hostapd. For those, I found some updated/experimental drivers on github that seem to work ok for other devices connecting in AC mode. I hope that eventually the RTL8812/8821 devices work consistently as a client in AC mode as well.

My device is:
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 7392:a812 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd

Sadly I need to use 5GHz band, otherwise it keeps buffering while playing high bitrate files. There are too much interferences on 2.4GHz due to the presences of more then ten other WIFIs

Mine was flaky as well on a pi2 with 8.0.1. I did put the following in a modprobe config file and rebooted:

rpi3:~ # cat /etc/modprobe.d/8812au.conf
    options 8812au rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_ips_mode=1 rtw_vht_enable=0 rtw_ht_enable=1

This limits the wifi to n instead of ac, so max 150mb/s, but it is stable. Perhaps it will work for you and provide enough bandwidth in the less crowded 5ghz range?

Careful... If folks can get a device that is nearly identical to the Vero 4K for 1/3 to 1/2 the price, that might undercut Vero 4k sales. At that point, the only advantage to spending more is helping support further OSMC development and the guaranteed 5 years of support. If the devices are similar enough, any new features introduced for the Vero 4k will also be available for the X96 devices.

I'm hoping I can save someone else the pain and trouble of tracking down why LE8 on an Odroid C2 seems to randomly freeze. Mine was doing so every few days for the past 3 months. When it froze, it would not respond to IR or keyboard and it could not be pinged on the network. Often times the screen was also blank. I had to pull the power and restart to recover and then it would work for several more days.

I finally managed to track down what seemed to be causing the freeze when I rebooted one of my Fedora 20 machines and noticed that the C2 froze during that time (I started using nagios to monitor it). After doing a packet trace with wireshark, I noticed that some MDNS traffic happened right before my C2 would freeze. Any time DHCP renewed on that machine it would make several MDNS calls and then the C2 would go out to lunch. I managed to disable the avahi daemon on that machinem, reboot it and renew DHCP several times and the C2 hasn't had a freeze since. That machine has package avahi-0.6.31-21.fc20.x86_64 installed.

The strange thing is that this issue doesn't effect the 2 RPi3 devices running LE8 that are also on my network AND there are other machines on the network running more recent versions of Fedora (23+) and avahi that also don't cause the problem.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like issue is something not specific to my setup and will consider what you did to address it at some point.

John

It's a known issue. I believe the patches from @peak3d will work themselves into one of the official LE alpha or beta releases at some point in the near future. If you want to try the fixes right away, you could use the built-in backup to backup your existing aarch64 install. You could then try the 32bit arm releases from Raybuntu and when the patches are eventually available for aarch64 you could re-image the emmc/sd card and the restore the backup.

Additional information:

- When I set Accelerate MPEG2 to Never the video plays every time.
    - With MPEG2 acceleration Always the video plays once after a reboot. It will not play again (freezes on first frame with a few seconds of sound).

John

I had the same issue with the LibreELEC alphas. Have a look at the images available in this thread on the odroid forums:

ODROID Forum • View topic - LibreELEC Krypton/Leia/Agile 64bit kernel 32bit libs

I'm running beta1e and plan to update to beta1f this evening. Watching live and recorded TV MPEG2 1080i60 is working for me now. This is thanks to some patches submitted by @peak3d and raybuntu putting together some test images. The (sort of) downside is that the test images have 32bit libraries so you'll need to follow the instructions about creating the .nocompat file and you may end up having to reinstall any addons to get 32bit versions of them. Getting non-frozen MPEG2 playback was worth it for me.

Yeah, I found some posts indicating there was some rework of the amlogic kernel bits after the change to VideoPlayer in Krypton. I just didn't know if 009 was expected to work yet or not. I'd be glad to post some logs if they're needed but it sounds like it is being worked on.

I just got my Odroid C2 in the mail yesterday and installed 7.90.009 onto an eMMC. Most everything works as well or better than the same release on my RPi3 devices, but when trying to play a 1080i MPEG2 channel using the MythTV PVR plugin the video just freezes and never plays. If I hit stop, it goes back to the channel list. If I then look for recorded programs and find the Live TV program it plays back just fine. Recorded programs under "default" also play without issue, so the problem only happens when trying to watch in real time.

Did I miss something? Is that a known issue with the C2 or more generally amlogic that isn't resolved yet? I saw where someone gave feedback on the blog post about 009 on C2 and said that TVHeadEnd was working for them. Without details on what is being played I am wondering if I need to change some playback settings.