S905 builds - general discussion

• Have you tried the toothpick method?
    On my box (minimxiii) there's a hole in the bottom - stick something in there and you can feel the switch.
    I believe the switch is accessed via the av port on your box.

Insert toothpick
    plug in
    wait a bit*
    remove toothpick.

*Exactly a bit - no more, no less. Gotta be precise.

• So I got a A95X and a MicroSD card with the img dd'ed to it in the slot. Those 5 files show up fine if I open the file browser in Android. I installed Quick Boot because I couldn't find anything else that would allow rebooting to recovery mode on it, but then that just gives me the recovery menu after reboot. Both "reboot to bootloader" and the other one just send me straight back into Android. I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try choosing a random zip file (for example a Kodi add-on) using the Update feature in the Backup & Update app. Make sure the SD card is inserted and select "Update".

Worked for me on my Nexbox A95X.

• On a95x disconnect power supply. Press reset button inside AV port with toothpick (break its sharp end to make wider - you should hear a click if you hit the button) and connect power supply.
    Keep reset pressed until Kodi logo appear. And that's all.

Edited once, last by Szymon_Zy (August 16, 2016 at 8:40 PM).

• Hi guys,

First I want to thank you for your help up to now.

I have received the MXQ Pro and the SD card today.

Well, I have no toothpick at home and I am afraid
    to use a thin screwdriver, because it goes really deep
    into that AV hole (I hope, this is the right reset hole)
    and I do not want to break something.

So, I decided to try the recovery method, meaning
    to boot into Android first, BUT the screen on the TV
    stays black.

Some guys in other forums wrote, you have to change
    the resolution on the box. How is that even doable
    without a screen?

Is there a way to connect to that box with an app or
    so, if I know the IP?

Edited once, last by sYCO (August 17, 2016 at 2:55 PM).

• I would like to install with boot from sd - but if I use reboot to recovery or toothpick methods, I end up at the Android system recovery screen. Am I missing a step or will I have to use the nand method? If I use nand - does that mean it will write over android?

• I had this problem & used a different tv with 720p.

• I would like to install with boot from sd - but if I use reboot to recovery or toothpick methods, I end up at the Android system recovery screen. Am I missing a step or will I have to use the nand method? If I use nand - does that mean it will write over android?

from the first page

"toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert SD card, use a toothpick to push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button."

toothpick = paperclip
    [hr]

I have only that LG TV (Full HD), a Full HD Beamer (Epson) and
    my computer monitor, but they all show a black screen.

I do not have a less than Full HD device. Man, that is crazy.

Re: toothpick, try using a paperclip, with the unit off, just put in a toothpick, you should hear/feel a click.

now you know how far to insert it, try with the unit switched on

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (August 17, 2016 at 5:23 PM).

• bubblegum57 - I am familiar with using paperclip to get to bootloader. I am coming from a stock android nand and when I used the img.gz file (yes I extracted it) and reboot to recovery I just get the recovery screen. If I use the toothpick (paperclip) method - I still just endup at the recovery screen.

I prefer to not write over the android nand if possible - but it seems that this box (geniatech ATV1950) wants to load the file from the recovery screen. - unless I'm missing something.

• from the first page

"toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert SD card, use a toothpick to push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button."

toothpick = paperclip
    [hr]

Re: toothpick, try using a paperclip, with the unit off, just put in a toothpick, you should hear/feel a click.

now you know how far to insert it, try with the unit switched on

Alright, I used a ballpoint mine and found the clicking.

Still no screen. I put power off, inserted microSD with
    the adapter, clicked the reset and hold it, turned power
    back on, still holded the pencil and waited over a minute
    for the screen with the logo to appear, but nothing ... :\

The card I have treated with Rufus and I dragged/dropped
    the newest img.gz into it (Rufus). The formatting went
    well, I guess.

Edited once, last by sYCO (August 17, 2016 at 5:35 PM).

• The card I have treated with Rufus and I dragged/dropped
    well, I guess.

Just to check... what exactly do you have in the root of your sd card?
    From the install guide:

As a result, you should have 3 system files: aml_autoscript, kernel.img and SYSTEM and 2 md5 files on your SD card.

I used win32diskimager, but the result should be the same.

• Alright, I used a ballpoint mine and found the clicking.

Still no screen. I put power off, inserted microSD with
    the adapter, clicked the reset and hold it, turned power
    back on, still holded the pencil and waited over a minute
    for the screen with the logo to appear, but nothing ... :\

The card I have treated with Rufus and I dragged/dropped
    well, I guess.

I would try another microsd card. Possible idea, wipe the card completely, then format to FAT32? before using rufus, thinking about it, rufus gives you the option to format the sd card before writing the image.
    [hr]

bubblegum57 - I am familiar with using paperclip to get to bootloader. I am coming from a stock android nand and when I used the img.gz file (yes I extracted it) and reboot to recovery I just get the recovery screen. If I use the toothpick (paperclip) method - I still just endup at the recovery screen.

I prefer to not write over the android nand if possible - but it seems that this box (geniatech ATV1950) wants to load the file from the recovery screen. - unless I'm missing something.

Sorry, if I sounded a bit condescending.

You say you extracted the img.gz, I don't think you extract that, you need to extract the image, if you download a zip file.. But I might be wrong

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (August 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM).

• Just to check... what exactly do you have in the root of your sd card?
    From the install guide:

I used win32diskimager, but the result should be the same.

Alright, I just went through the whole procedure:

First, I formatted the SD card to Fat32 with 16 kb (standard) block size.

After that I went into Rufus and formatted the SD again just to be sure and closed Rufus.

I started Rufus again and dragged the img.gz file over it.

After the procedure the card has only 511 mb as size and there are those files, that have been mentioned in the post.

Then I turn off the box, insert the SD, click the reset switch, hold it, give power, wait ... for over two minutes blank screen, but LEDs of the box are there (blue) and of the Ethernet cable, as well.
    [hr]

I would try another microsd card. Possible idea, wipe the card completely, then format to FAT32? before using rufus, thinking about it, rufus gives you the option to format the sd card before writing the image.
    [hr]

I do not have another one right now, but maybe tomorrow there is another one coming.

Still I would be wondering, if there is something wrong. The card is new and the formatting works through without any problem, even the files are there.

Edited once, last by sYCO (August 17, 2016 at 6:14 PM).

• First, I formatted the SD card to Fat32 with 16 kb (standard) block size.

That is absolutely unnessary. The image replaces everything on the SD card. Partitions, partition table, filesystems, all gets overwritten by the image.
    So formating the SD card is pointless.

Gerald

Edited once, last by gdachs (August 17, 2016 at 6:19 PM).

• Then I don't know what the problem is. Long shot, insert microsd card into an adaptor, the fit adaptor in usb card reader, the try booting you laptop or pc, obviously changing pc boot order. Not sure if this should work, but if it does, then it proves the image is created correctly.
    [hr]

That is absolutely unnessary. The image replaces everything on the SD card. Partitions, partition table, filesystems, all gets overwritten by the image.
    So formating the SD card is pointless.

Gerald

I agree, it was just an idea.

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (August 17, 2016 at 6:22 PM).

• After the procedure the card has only 511 mb as size and there are those files, that have been mentioned in the post.

Then I turn off the box, insert the SD, click the reset switch, hold it, give power, wait ... for over two minutes blank screen, but LEDs of the box are there (blue) and of the Ethernet cable, as well.

Doesn't sound like an sd-card problem, the 511MB is right...

In the absence of kszaq - who'll probably give you the right answer - is it possible libreelec is running with a blank screen? Might be worth ruling that out - it's a long shot but...
    Try sticking

\\libreelec

or '\\192.168.x.xx' (with the ackshewal IP of your box, obviously) in the windows explorer address bar on a pc. Anything?

• Doesn't sound like an sd-card problem, the 511MB is right...

In the absence of kszaq - who'll probably give you the right answer - is it possible libreelec is running with a blank screen? Might be worth ruling that out - it's a long shot but...
    Try sticking

or '\\192.168.x.xx' (with the ackshewal IP of your box, obviously) in the windows explorer address bar on a pc. Anything?

I can try that, BUT how long do I have to wait with holding the reset button after plugging in the power?

Is 15, 30, 60, ... seconds?