S905 builds - general discussion

• This is a thread for general discussion about my S905 LE builds separated from release thread to unclutter it.

Important notes:

• Please don't post links to eBay/Aliexpress/other sellers, no advertising.
    • These are community supported builds so please post all bugs/issues in this forum area only.
    • For any non-personal use you should refer to Kodi Trademark Policy. Please also follow these guidelines for LibreELEC branding.
    • Reporting bugs: LibreELEC

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 3, 2016 at 3:00 PM).

• Thanks for you great work kszaq! Installed it (Nand version) on my mini m8s and it is up and running. The only problem i have is that the remote doesnt work with my box and neither does the HDMI CEC remote work so i am stuck using a mouse wired to it at the moment..
    Best regards!

• Thanks for you great work kszaq! Installed it (Nand version) on my mini m8s and it is up and running. The only problem i have is that the remote doesnt work with my box and neither does the HDMI CEC remote work so i am stuck using a mouse wired to it at the moment..
    Best regards!

If you can provide a kern.log with cec debug enabled. I can give some support regarding CEC issues.

Best regards!

Have you had Android installed prior to flashing LE - according to recommendation from the first post? If not, my build may have not found remote.conf during installation and you need to put it manually in Configfiles. For CEC I use a hacky way to enable it in device tree and as GDPR-1 said, a log would be great to debug any issues you may have. I have also not integrated the latest fixes from Raybuntu. Please give us more details for you setup, logs and so on.

thx kszaq for you work

can you tell me which kernel source you are using, is it the latest amlogic source arm-src-kernel-2016-05-04-bd1ff1c1cd.tar.gz ?

did you have to patch many (any) things to get it to work with openelec ?

Kernel source code is available here: GitHub - kszaq/linux at amlogic-3.14.y

You can see all the changes I had to make in Git history.

I haven't upgraded the source from the latest Amlogic release as I had some issues booting it. I am working to include the latest Amlogic sources for one of the next builds.

• yeah... at last... s905 liberation :)

ok i will share experience, ive been installed alex's oe sd card version using toothpick and sometime ago probably have installed also balbes105 uboot bin which causing kszaq LE sd card version fail boot, and toothpick method not changing anything, it just went to shell with i dont know error message "type exit to quit" thing, so here what i do, i boot with alex's oe, and in ssh shell just type reboot recovery, after reboot i did toothpick again and succeded, i thing we just need to boot into recovery screen to reset the aml_autoscript bootloader

so far the boot process just the fastest compare to all OE and LE that i have tried, pretty stable using pvr sd hd 4k channel, but one to notice the refresh rate changes can not be alter using setting, it just do automatically and my cheap tv just somehow could not really handle 24hz, but just incredible so far, way to go kszaq

• Hello,

Kszaq was so nice and allowed me to test his S905 developement-builds since 14 days now and I want to tell you about my impressions of his S905-LibreELEC build on a Beelink S905 Mini MXIII with 16 GB eMMC and 2 GB RAM:

I installed the developement builds on a 64GB micro SD. Android is still on NanD. As you can see below, the Mini MXIII is much smaller than the MXQpro.

kszaqs latest build runs much smoother and faster with the Mini MXIII than with my MXQpro. The remote and nearly everything elso works "out of box"!
    The video- and audioquality already is very good. For the audio-output, I use SPDIF. I can watch TV with by DVB-C with my HDhomerun expand and the PVR IPTV simple client and IPTV with Zattoo TV without any problems. I still didn`t test, if Satelite DVB-S2 works with one of my DVBSKy S960 DVB-S/S2 USB (it works "out of box" with the generic LibreELEC-builds, but I know about the problems with Amlogic an DVB). This LibreELEC S905 build is same as stable as kszaqs S805 builds!

I left Android on NanD, because it is one of the most stable Android, I have seen on an Amlogic-Box. I use it for checking my E-mails, the Amazon Prime Video App and for the Browser.

All in all it is already a very good LibreeLEC/Android DualBoot-System right now and it seems, like kszaqs S905 build was expecially made for the Beelink S905 Mini MXIII   
    Thanks again kszaq - very good job   

I like the function "reebot to nand" in kszaqs shutdown-menue, but I prefer the use the Xonfluence skin (former Confluence Customizalble Mod). Unfortunately the shutdown-option "reebot to nand" is not avilable with the Xonfluence skin. I could fix this, whwn I deleted the <DialogButtonMenu.xml> in the Xonfluence-Skin and coppied kszaqs <DialogButtonMenu.xml> from </usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.confluence> into in the Xonfluence-Skin </storage/.kodi/addons/skin.xonfluence/720p>.

Cheers
    Mark

• Have you had Android installed prior to flashing LE - according to recommendation from the first post? If not, my build may have not found remote.conf during installation and you need to put it manually in Configfiles. For CEC I use a hacky way to enable it in device tree and as GDPR-1 said, a log would be great to debug any issues you may have. I have also not integrated the latest fixes from Raybuntu. Please give us more details for you setup, logs and so on.

Kernel source code is available here: GitHub - kszaq/linux at amlogic-3.14.y

I haven't upgraded the source from the latest Amlogic release as I had some issues booting it. I am working to include the latest Amlogic sources for one of the next builds.

Hi, I went from openelec to libreelec so thats probably why remote isnt working.. ill see what i can do with logfiles. ..not my strongest "ballgame".

• I'm curious, is this a real Air Mouse remote (gyro and so on), or is it a basic IR remote with less buttons ?

It is no GyroMouse, but a basic IR remote. The mouse is controlled by the naviagtion-buttons. I personnally dislike both: GyroMouse and controlled by the naviagtion-buttons.

If I need a mouse and a keybord, I connect my "Trust Compact wireless USB-keyboard":

Greetings
    Mark

Edited once, last by mark-aus-51 (July 9, 2016 at 9:34 AM).

• Hi, I went from openelec to libreelec so thats probably why remote isnt working.. ill see what i can do with logfiles. ..not my strongest "ballgame".

If you have the same remote as mark-aus-51 in his photos, you can download remote.conf from Alex's repository: remote.conf
    Put it in Configfiles folder (enter \\[i]your_box_IP\Configfiles in Windows Explorer bar), reboot and you remote should work again. [/i]

• I have a M18 box (S905 with 2G RAM / 16 GB memory). Some time ago I installed an OE build made for MiniMX (OpenELEC-Amlogic.aarch64-MiniMX-6.95.3.img) booting from SD and it worked but it was a little unstable.
    This morning tried to install your LE build and I was unable to make it work. On boot I always have the same error message:
    "SH: can't access tty job control turned off "
    I googled a little and thought it was a SD card problem, so I tried with another card with the same results.
    I even tried a 'dirty' method: made a copy of the SD with the OE installation and rewrite the system files with the LE files. Always the same error message.

Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot for your great effort making all these builds.

• Kernel source code is available here: GitHub - kszaq/linux at amlogic-3.14.y

okay, i see the commits you have done yourself, are all those for running the s905 or did you pull most of them from your s805 tree, or do you use the same 3.14 kernel on both ?

Also i don't quite understand where your 3.14 source comes from (codesnake fork?) and more important where do all those other older commits come from ? Is codesnake actually updating amlogic kernel with mainline patches ?

Sorry if this is all trivial but i find the way git presents things a bit confusing. And i've been using amlogic kernel sources to build ubuntu arm images and never had to make many patches (no oe/le/kodi stuff of course), only adding drivers when necessary and using kernel config/dtb from the android image.

I'll test your le build on my two s905 devices here see how it goes, but i can't really do some advanced kodi tests as i don't have a tv or hdmi capable audio device.
    thx

• Hi Mark
    I ran the Dev Builds on 1 gb / 8g MiniMX and it runs great out of the box except the 1 gb of ram is highly allocated to video
    playback which sometimes on big files starts to struggle. Could be your MXpro is the same. I notified kszaq about high ram usage and he is aware of the issue. It is a balance of video quallity and performance.

I am interested of the wifi performance of the MiniMXiii. How do you find the speed.
    The MiniMX is quite slow.
    Cheers.
    Kostaman

• I am interested of the wifi performance of the MiniMXiii. How do you find the speed.
    The MiniMX is quite slow.

...the wifi-performance of the Beelink Mini MXIII is poor ( 290MB file @ 1.6MB/s), but I have 10 different WiFi-Networks of my neighbours in the direkt surrounding and the have bad influence on each other, expecially when using my NAS or HD-IPTV. Therefore I always use the LAN-port of my TV-Boxes. Moreover the Gigabit Ethernet of the Beelink Mini MXIII, tested with a large file, is much better in both direction (flash to SAMBA, and SAMBA to flash) with an average transfer rate of 16.2 MB/s.

Cheers
    Mark

Edited once, last by mark-aus-51 (July 9, 2016 at 1:20 PM).

• your problem just like mine, read my post #7, perhap might work on your machine too