VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• The userdata directory is for the user to put stuff. New files get downloaded there, along with user overrides being stored.

Files are copied to /addon/service.vpn.manager/UserDefined (I think) to be used. I can't exactly remember what triggers the copy but it's probably the validation of the connection. A bunch of other stuff gets updated/copied at the same time too.

You'll probably need to do your downloading, update the active connection, then restart it to take effect. There might be cases where it reverts any updates you've made as anything in the addon directory is fair game for updating with no easy way to disable this.

But VPN Mgr does what you're doing anyway for Nord - it's uses the API (providing the logon to the API works....) to go and fetch the recommended server during connection. It doesn't use static definitions like other providers.

• is there a way to check the VPN status in command line? If yes, could anyone be kind enough to share the command? I am on LE9.2.8 on a Pi4.

There are several ways to check the VPN status. You may check the status of ping command to some machine inside the target network. But perhaps the check of tun network device (which is created when OpenVPN tunnel is established) presence is enough. For instance ifconfig or ip link would be useful.

A simple example:

Code
     ip link | grep tun | cut -f4 -d,

should return UP when the OpenVPN tunnel is active otherwise it returns nothing.

• should return UP when the OpenVPN tunnel is active otherwise it returns nothing.

Thanks mate, that worked. Is there a way to see the server it is currently connected to, start/stop a connection from command line as well? Or is it pushing it too far? :)

Edited once, last by nokia3660 (May 28, 2022 at 11:22 AM).

• Well, the OpenVPN connection is based on config file (usually with .ovpn extension). The destination gateway is specified there so you have to always know which server you are connecting to. You should be able to find the config file in your prefferred VPN plugin and run the connection manually.

The start / stop OpenVPN connection could be performed for instance with simple scripts which may look like:

Connect script:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    openvpn /storage/PathToYourConfigfile/NameOfYourConfigfile.ovpn &

Disconnect script:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    pkill openvpn
  • If you start and stop openvpn outside of VPN Mgr then you’ll probably see some conflict as VPN Mgr tries to restart openvpn if it sees it go away. You should choose one way or another of controlling openvpn but definitely not both.

VPN Mgr has an API which can be called from scripts allowing some external control as well as from within Kodi. It’s documented on the wiki.

• If you start and stop openvpn outside of VPN Mgr then you’ll probably see some conflict as VPN Mgr tries to restart openvpn if it sees it go away. You should choose one way or another of controlling openvpn but definitely not both.

VPN Mgr has an API which can be called from scripts allowing some external control as well as from within Kodi. It’s documented on the wiki.

It's a good comment. I don't use any VPN Mgr so I did not point out a possible conflict.

The examples above should work fine when the VPN Mgr plugin is disabled.

• I have the addon installed on LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0 nightlies.

It is working perfectly but I noticed the following errors repeating in the logs:

2022-05-28 08:46:21.905 T:892 ERROR <general>: Repository add-on repository.zomboided.plugins uses old schema definition for the repository extension point! This is no longer supported, please update your addon to use <dir> definitions.

2022-05-28 08:46:21.905 T:892 ERROR <general>: Repository add-on repository.zomboided.plugins does not have any directory and won't be able to update/serve addons! Please fix the addon.xml definition

I checked the logs on an LE10 installation and see the same errors.

Just wondering if it's a known issue or a misconfiguration at my end?

• Thanks, I think it's an issue at my end.

I just tested with another SD card running LE 10.0.2 official and the log shows clean.

I'll look have a look at the one I've been using for nightlies and will let you know if I come up with anything.

• I somehow got Nord working; however, I have had absolutely zero luck with Surfshark. If anyone has Surfshark working, feel free to send me a message as it's driving me insane and would appreciate any help possible.

Use the script for up and down. Use dns servers 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8

• I had another look at this and used the same LE 10.0.2 installation, updated it with LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20220530-2d50f5f

Once again the logs were being spammed with the same two error lines as before.

I compared addon.xml in your repository with one in a different repository and noticed a <dir> tag preceding the URL definitions with a </dir> tag at the end.

I edited your addon.xml to include the tags and the errors seem to have gone and the addon is functioning normally.

Looks like something may have changed in the xml definition requirements for Kodi 20.0 ?

• deepee I think they've changed since I did the repo, for sure, I can see this in the emby repo going back a couple releases. So it does look like this is something that can be fixed prior to 20.0

I'm not sure that repos auto update though so it might need a new repo to be installed by the user which is a bit rubbish

• Hi,

I'm using cyberghost vpn and it always says I'm connected to a deprecated VPN, another thing I couldn't use is the BBC iplayer, if it's on a Mi box S it already works with this VPN...

Is there any way to solve this, which vpn best fits here?

Thanks.

• It means the definitions it uses are out of date and I don’t have the new ones. You can use it and if it works for you, great, otherwise you’ll have to use the User Defined option with definitions that you download from your chosen provider

• Hello,

I used the 4 files that i downloaded, openvpn.ovpn, client.crt, ca.crt and client.key...

I contacted Cyberghost support, but they could only say that the support was only for Librelec 7&8...

• Hi, I have recently changed from using PIA to using Astrill, on advice from a friend who said it was possible to access iPlayer using Astrill. I am able to access iPlayer on my laptop using Astrill, but not when using the OpenVPN addon in Kodi. I've imported the .ovpn file for my private UK IP, and the VPN seems to connect ok and I am able to access film / TV content over Seren etc. However, when I try to use the iPlayerWWW addon i get the "only accessible from the UK" error.

Edited once, last by _fdc_ (October 4, 2022 at 11:20 AM).

• I would say dns leak. Does the vpn provider supply you with dns server numbers? I'd put them into your libreelec network settings and use the up.sh script in an earlier post. Use your providers dns settings and not forget to make the script executable. If you can't connect with your providers dns settings, use cloudflares 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

PS I'd also change the post to not mention bypassing geo restrictions.