[9.0.0] LibreELEC builds for MX2/G18

• I have also noticed on 7.95.3 that the wifi does show up and it shows the strength like in my case it was showing wifi strength as "34" and as soon as I connect my wifi after few minutes the wifi strength is "100" and when tested nothing works on wifi. I have even tested speed tester addon and it would not even show any results but when connected back to ethernet everything starts working.

So basically wifi have some issues. Hopefully can be fixed in next version

• I have also noticed on 7.95.3 that the wifi does show up and it shows the strength like in my case it was showing wifi strength as "34" and as soon as I connect my wifi after few minutes the wifi strength is "100" and when tested nothing works on wifi. I have even tested speed tester addon and it would not even show any results but when connected back to ethernet everything starts working.

So basically wifi have some issues. Hopefully can be fixed in next version

Please read the installation instructions. If you flash version 8.0.0 from recovery you will need an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for the first boot.

• Please read the installation instructions. If you flash version 8.0.0 from recovery you will need an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for the first boot.

Hi

Sorry as above this issue is noticed on my 1 gbox and 1 mx2

I am using 7.95.3

Version 8 would not even install as it was stuck at startup screen with error message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The error message is caused by the missing storage partition. You need to provide an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for version 8.0.0 to work. Alternatively you can upgrade from 7.95.3 using provided tar file, but you have to run the following command first:

Code
    tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data

Please read the installation instructions for version 8.

Edited once, last by KOPRajs (March 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM).

• for me I loaded LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-7.95.3.zip booted connected to wifi and made sure ssh was on then rebooted.Next I opened internet explorer typed in box ip added LibreELEC-Amlogic_MX2.arm-8.0.0.tar to update folder.then using putty I ssh into box and added tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data.after that in ssh I typed reboot and updated perfectly everything working great.I did 3 mx2 all the same first shot

Edited once, last by piperider (March 23, 2017 at 3:45 AM).

• The error message is caused by the missing storage partition. You need to provide an ext3 formated SD card or USB drive with LIBREELEC_DISK label for version 8.0.0 to work. Alternatively you can upgrade from 7.95.3 using provided tar file, but you have to run the following command first:

Code
    tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data

Please read the installation instructions for version 8.

Hi Sorry I just need to clarify something

So I took a brand new USB ( 8GB) and formatted it in EXT3 using Easyus partition master and labelled it as LIBREELEC_DISK . I am currently using windows 10 and as soon as its formatted, windows give me a pop up saying the drive needs to be formatted so I can not copy 8.0.0.Zip file as I am trying to install from recovery method on Mx2 box. I have installed android firmware on the box and if some one can help me with what to do next or advise that would be very much appreciated.

I have been previosly working on Openelec and librelec versions so just need to know how can i put/paste 8.0.0.zip file on EXT3 formatted USB drive as windows 10 is prmpting me to format the drive first

• Hi Sorry I just need to clarify something

So I took a brand new USB ( 8GB) and formatted it in EXT3 using Easyus partition master and labelled it as LIBREELEC_DISK . I am currently using windows 10 and as soon as its formatted, windows give me a pop up saying the drive needs to be formatted so I can not copy 8.0.0.Zip file as I am trying to install from recovery method on Mx2 box. I have installed android firmware on the box and if some one can help me with what to do next or advise that would be very much appreciated.

I have been previosly working on Openelec and librelec versions so just need to know how can i put/paste 8.0.0.zip file on EXT3 formatted USB drive as windows 10 is prmpting me to format the drive first

How does this work?
    The 8.0.0 build looks for the LIBREELEC_DISK label at every boot and will use the first device it finds with the correct label for storage.

You have 2 options how to install 8.0.0:

1. from a working 7.95.3:
    - first run tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data on SSH
    - then update to 8.0.0 using tar (copy 8.0.0.tar to update folder and reboot)
    - you'll get 8.0.0 running with storage on the internal NAND (and with settings from 7.95.3 kept)

2. from the recovery:
    - first install 8.0.0.zip as usual (you will get the error when booting)
    - then format SD card or USB drive with EXT3 and LIBREELEC_DISK label and insert it in the box (do not let Windows format it and do not try to copy anything to it)
    - reboot the box and you'll get 8.0.0 running with storage on the external device (clean installation, no settings kept)
    - now you can keep running with storage on the external device (good if you have a device with broken internal NAND) or you can switch to internal NAND by running tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data on SSH and removing the external device

Edited once, last by KOPRajs (March 29, 2017 at 2:36 PM).

• I've updated the build to 8.0.1 with Kodi 17.1.

Thanks for this

Do u still need to run a command from ssh if updating from 7.95?

Or just put in tar file in update or using zip file for recovery installation

Please confirm thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Yes, you need to set the label on your storage partition for 8.0.x if you haven't done that before. However if you are already running 8.0.0 you don't need to set the label again. Just update using tar as usual.

• I'm only familiar with flashing the box with sd card. i would like to know how to run the code through ssh, sorry newb. hope someone can help. I'm also using a mac.

• I'm only familiar with flashing the box with sd card. i would like to know how to run the code through ssh, sorry newb. hope someone can help. I'm also using a mac.

You'll need to search and learn a bit as I cannot provide a complete step-by-step guide for everyone however these are the basic steps needed:

1. you need to enable SSH service on your box in LibreELEC Configuration Add-on (Settings -> LibreELEC Configuration -> Services -> SSH)
    2. connect to the box using your favourite SSH client (use PuTTY in Windows, for Mac you should open terminal window and run ssh root@ip_address)
    3. login as root with password libreelec

A quick Google search revealed this:
    How to SSH into Raspberry Pi for remote administration?

Please note that if you set the label on internal NAND using SSH you will then have to update to 8.0.x using tar! Flashing the zip from recovery will erase the label!

Edited once, last by KOPRajs (April 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM).

• Hi. I have a MX2 with CodeSnake's OpenElec on it right now. I'd like to try this so that I can have Kodi 17. I followed the instructions, formatted a flash drive with ext3, unzipped the recovery zip onto it, named the flash drive LIBREELEC_DISK. However, when I go to reset the box with the flash drive plugged in by pressing in the A/V button, nothing appears to happen. It just boots up like normal, no android recovery screen. I tried several times, and I can feel the toothpick pressing in the button. I think maybe OpenElec overwrites this, so the recovery button doesn't do anything anymore? Is there something else I should be doing if OpenElec is already installed on it?

Thanks

Edited once, last by Ender102 (April 5, 2017 at 3:27 AM).

• Hi. I have a MX2 with CodeSnake's OpenElec on it right now. I'd like to try this so that I can have Kodi 17. I followed the instructions, formatted a flash drive with ext3, unzipped the recovery zip onto it, named the flash drive LIBREELEC_DISK. However, when I go to reset the box with the flash drive plugged in by pressing in the A/V button, nothing appears to happen. It just boots up like normal, no android recovery screen. I tried several times, and I can feel the toothpick pressing in the button. I think maybe OpenElec overwrites this, so the recovery button doesn't do anything anymore? Is there something else I should be doing if OpenElec is already installed on it?

Thanks

If you already have a working OpenELEC or LibreELEC on your device and you want to continue using internal NAND for storage please use installation instructions for updating existing installations:
    1. set the label on your internal NAND by running tune2fs -L LIBREELEC_DISK /dev/data using SSH
    2. update using TAR as usual (copy .tar to .update/ folder and reboot)

If you want to do a clean install:
    1. flash the ZIP from recovery as usual (using FAT32 formated SD card or USB drive)
    2. power off the box (don't worry about the error during first boot)
    3. insert empty SD card or USB drive with ext3 filesystem and the LIBREELEC_DISK label and power on the box (the system will use it for storage instead of the internal NAND)
    4. (optional) if you prefer to use the internal NAND for storage you can now set the label using SSH, remove the external storage device and reboot

• Ok I think jump then gun. I just update my box to 8. But now the box doesn't work, is it due to not having Sd or USB card formatted to ext3? Im trying to find a way to way to format it but disk utility doesn't format ext3.

• Ok I got ext3 on a USB. I flash my box with 8.0. I put the USB on the USB slot. Then turn the on. It would show matricom then LE but after that it would go black and just stay black. I use easeUS partition and labeled it libreelec_disk.
    [hr]

Ok I got ext3 on a USB. I flash my box with 8.0. I put the USB on the USB slot. Then turn the on. It would show matricom then LE but after that it would go black and just stay black. I use easeUS partition and labeled it libreelec_disk.

Edit lucky I just left it on it took a couple of minutes then krypton loaded up. Now I gotta figure the ssh. Thanks for your work koprajs!

Edited once, last by Smilez (April 7, 2017 at 3:01 AM).