Can't get Pulse-Eight CEC adaptor to work

• Hi,

I just installed the Pulse Eight CEC Adaptor, and got a message on Kodi something like "new CEC Apaptor found", but in Kodi System>Settings>Input Devices the option "Peripherals" is greyed out.

I've checked the settings on the TV, and pretty sure the CEC settings are turned on OK, and a Chromecast device also connected to TV takes over using HDMI no problem.

So with the TV set up OK, the message that the adaptor found sounding like my HTPC found the new hardware OK, but not able to access the settings within Kodi I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or is a driver missing or something?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited once, last by gshodg (June 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM).

• Here's a log file, hoping someone can help diagnose. The last few entries were I think the key presses on the TV's remote, so they seem to be recognised, but nothing happened on screen when I pressed them
    HSeR

• I guess the logfile isnt helpful in that case. Please provide

Code
    dmeg | pastebinit

"-sh: dmeg: not found"

Should it be dmesg? If so, here it is: jZSH

Code
    lsusb | pastebinit

BTeB

Many thanks DaVu, hope these help investigate.

Edited once, last by gshodg (June 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM).

• If it helps, this is how my CEC adapter shows up in dmesg:

Code
    # dmesg|grep -i cec
    [    4.319632] input: Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/usb6/6-2/6-2:1.2/0003:2548:1002.0001/input/input3
    [    4.319987] hid-generic 0003:2548:1002.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter] on usb-0000:00:10.0-2/input2

Lsusb shows it, but anonymously:

Code
    # lsusb | grep 2548
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 2548:1002

From what I can see yours doesn't seem to be showing up.

Did you try different USB ports?

Edited once, last by Borromini (June 12, 2016 at 1:48 PM).

• I also had issues in the past that it did not show up in the settings menu, but it worked just fine. If Kodi sees the device and the TV is connecting (my TV shows it) everything should work. You might also try a different HDMI port on your TV.

• You might also try a different HDMI port on your TV.

Did you try different USB ports?

I've tried the adaptor into different HDMI ports on the TV. I've tried the adaptor in different USB slots on the HTPC. I've tried different HDMI cables. The TV seems to be detecting that's it's there, but the remote control isn't controlling Kodi, and still in Kodi System>Settings>Input Devices the option "Peripherals" is greyed out.

Any ideas why this adaptor is not working?

• The only success I experienced with CEC was with OpenELEC Legacy (5.0.8 & Kodi 14.2), it was working flawlessly.
    With newer OpenELEC and LibreELEC builds, it worked for a few hours (with luck some days) after rebooting (RPI is always on) and then the CEC functionality was lost.
    With LibreELEC 7.0.2 update CEC doesn't work entirely.

I hope they will fix this

• Official Post

Any ideas how I can diagnose this further? Is there a driver missing or something?

If it doesn't even show up in your system then there isn't much we can do. Perhaps you have a bad CEC adapter. Try it in other hardware to see if it works.

The only success I experienced with CEC was with OpenELEC Legacy (5.0.8 & Kodi 14.2), it was working flawlessly.
    With newer OpenELEC and LibreELEC builds, it worked for a few hours (with luck some days) after rebooting (RPI is always on) and then the CEC functionality was lost.
    With LibreELEC 7.0.2 update CEC doesn't work entirely.

This is the first I've heard of this, please elaborate.
    libCEC has been updated for kodi 17 krypton, please test out an alpha build if you want to test a new version of libCEC

• This is the first I've heard of this, please elaborate.

My RPI is always on, TV is being turned on and off, also a wireless keyboard is used on regular basis, could this be the issue (conflict)?
    I went back from OpenELEC 8 to 5.0.8 because of issues in both OpenELEC 6 and ofcourse the nightlies.
    CEC was working all the time in this old version.
    Since OE 6 and higher I have had these disconnecting issues, I might post a log when I have time to do so.

libCEC has been updated for kodi 17 krypton, please test out an alpha build if you want to test a new version of libCEC

I have been using OpenELEC 8 Milhouse builds before he went to LibreELEC but as it is on a daily used RPI, I returned to stable because of crashes while playing mkv's, is it more stable now?
    I can confirm I did not have any CEC issues there, but ofcouse the RPI was rebooted a lot because of the crashes.

• Hi, I have posted my own tread but it seems it the same issue. So I will post my reply here.
    I just tested serveral build.

Libreelec with kodi 16.1 -> CEC (marked als pulse) doens't work with my RPI 3 and sharp tv
    Opeelec with kodi 16.1 -> CEC (marked als pulse) doens't work with my RPI 3 and sharp tv
    Opeelec with kodi 15.1 -> CEC (marked a differente CEC adaptor) works with my RPI3 and sharp TV. And also work with my RPI 1

So it looks like there is problem with > 16.1 maybe there an option change the CEC adaptor? Or something else?
    I now need two remotes again instead of my (extra) smartphone remote...If you need any log let me know.

One more thing...kodi sees all my adaptors only doesnt work on the first to options.

Kind regards

Edited once, last by gebruikerh (June 29, 2016 at 7:57 PM).

• tomtomclub,

Thanks for your reply. But try a new tv or new kabel as older builds on the same RPI and other RPI works?
    It look more like a problem of the CEC driver in the new kodi builds..But I'm not good enough the rebuild that CEC driver or change it..

If somebody can talk me trough I would be happy to do it.

• Hi,

Having the same problem. I plug my adapter in, CEC is detected and the box appears, but the TV remote (Samsung) does not work. Using latest alpha build. Is there anything I need to do?

Thanks
    bc.

• Hi,

Having the same problem. I plug my adapter in, CEC is detected and the box appears, but the TV remote (Samsung) does not work. Using latest alpha build. Is there anything I need to do?

Thanks
    bc.

Make sure it it supported and enabled on your TV. And that you are connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV. Not all brands support CEC on all connections.

• Make sure it it supported and enabled on your TV. And that you are connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV. Not all brands support CEC on all connections.

Definitely enabled and supported (Samsung 2014 smart tv), as I've used CEC on different ports -- tested on those that have 'worked' before also.

Not sure what to do at this point.