tvheadend, ATSC and epg...

• I think I fixed it. I did a hard reset of LE from the LE settings menu and install tvh 4.2 and 0.6.6. Not only did 0.6.6 work with no problems, it also got rid of the ampersand problem. I guess when in doubt it doesn't hurt to start over from scratch. Now I'm going to install that nightly version of tvh. Thanks again for all your help and I'm looking forward to your new addon.

• I'm getting ready to release a new/different version of the zap2xml addon. The original version was pieced together from the zap2xml pearl project, converted to python and then modified by me. There have been too many issues with this method - especially with cross platform functioning/other OS uses. Therefore I decided to start over.

I built the zap2epg addon from scratch and intentionally did not use the mechanize plugin. It is built using python and beautiful soup. It should be cross platform and cross OS compatible for use on most Kodi setups. (actually it could even be modified to be used on an NAS as the core zap2epg.py file will run on its own if you feed it a settings.xml file)

Anyway - since many of you have been great with using and testing updated to the zap2xml addon - I thought I'd ask you to take a look at zap2epg before I create a new post and release it. Please keep in mind that this only works for USA / Canada TV lineups. Fortunately there are a lot of other options for other countries!

You can find the source files here: GitHub - edit4ever/script.module.zap2epg: zap2epg - EPG grabber for USA/Canada

The test release is here: Releases · edit4ever/script.module.zap2epg · GitHub

Please post issues/questions here or on the github site. Thanks!

• I really like the idea of running it as a stand alone program on a linux based file server, I am currently using the original zap2xml perl script. I prefer only one download of the on line data and sharing it with all the other systems. Could someone post a sample .xml file?

thanks

• if you run the zap2epg addon from a Kodi setup - you can configure your lineup and channels list which will create the settings.xml file - you can then run the program as a test from within the addon and generate the xmltv.xml file.

With both of those in hand, you can determine if you want to take the zap2epg.py script and configure it on your file server. :)

• ---- HOLD THE PRESSES ----

As of this morning it seems that zap2it has redesigned their website. As a result - my newly reworked addon (and the old addon) are now borked!

I will take a look at the new layout and see if I can update later today.

--------------------------------

good news is the site is providing a json data feed...bad news - it means completely reworking my addon! Back to the drawing board....stay tuned.

Edited once, last by edit4ever (October 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM).

• As promised - for those of you willing to jump back into testing - here is the updated zap2epg addon!

Dropbox - script.module.zap2epg-0.2.0-2017-10-27.zip

This works with the new zap2it guide data - which if you've noticed on their site, they're transitioning/testing right now.

This does not require you to create an account. Just install the addon, run it and then set your zipcode and lineup. You can then set the custom channel list in order to speed up the download process.

There is an option for xtra details, which add the original air date, cast for movies, series/show artwork (which you can select either series or episode thumbnails) and of course, my xtra details option for appending the info to the description(plot) field. (Which works great with a default skin like Estuary!) BTW - if you enable xtra details, your first download of data will take some time. You can always set the number of days option for a day or two to make it works - then go for the full 14. :)

I would suggest if you had downlaoded my previous zap2epg test - uninstall it, delete the userdata folder, and install this one clean.

As a reminder - zap2it currently has the channel numbers messed up (missing minor number) for OTA channels, so make sure you don't have the "update channel number" option enabled in the tvheadend epg grabber tab. Otherwise you'll have multiple channels with the same number!!

As usual - post any issues or questions and we'll see if we can get a new great grabber up and running and finally submitted to the repo!

Enjoy.

Edited once, last by edit4ever (October 28, 2017 at 4:49 AM).

• edit4ever,

First - Thanks for continuing to work on this, the new addon sounds very promising.

When attempting to install the zip file I am getting a "failed to install a dependency" error. Running a pi3 on LE 8.1.2, Any ideas?

• Update- scratch that, I think the issue is on my end. Dealing with bad DB and now a bad SD card.

Here is the relevant portion of the log. It looks like the missing dependency is script.module.xbmcswift2

Edited once, last by Apollos (October 28, 2017 at 6:35 PM).

• That looks like an issue with your addon database as there are a lot of errors with addons that aren't part of my setup. Perhaps someone here knows how you can reset that. Double check that you can add an addon from the LibreELEC and Kodi repos.

• Hi,

I tried the new script, but get an error when trying to install, "invalid structure" for the script. Libreelec on chromebox... Not sure what's wrong? First install of the newest script from post 283, currently using zap2xml (until it broke that is).

Thanks for any help!