MXQ box won't boot into SD CARD LE or recovery.

• Hi there,

My friend has a black plastic cases branded MXQ box. I tried all 3 builds on a SD card but can't get it to boot into LE.
    Further more I can't even get it to boot into recovery by holding down the reset button in the AV socket.
    Does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of this horrible Android OS and getting LE installed? Below is a splash image that comes up before the MBOX logo.
    Regards

• You have to find Android firmware from manufacturer that works. Or try to boot SD image of LE. If the reset button doesn't work, try other ways listed in S905 thread - I know that this is S805 buy the ways to install are pretty much the same.

• I now have this screen what next?

I would assume update from EXT but which file would I have to have on the SD CARD?
    I would like to run from sd card to see if everything works, before installing to NAND.

THANKS.

Edited once, last by kodiuser1 (January 22, 2017 at 1:54 AM).

• How are you writing the file to microsd?

I download the relevant (whatever that is) img.gz file & use rufus to burn it, from the drop down part in rufus select dd, burn to card, then download the correct device tree, & overwrite the one on the card.

Then when holding the recovery button in, it should start libreelec, I never see the recovery console.

• I'm using the method I have always used. I use win32diskimager to write the files to SD Card.
    With these files on the sd card LE normally boots, but on this box it boots to Android every time. It's like the reset button is broken and not doing anything.
    I can get into recovery but would like to to if I can boot to the SD Card from there or do I have to install to NAND if I update from EXT??

• I'm using the method I have always used. I use win32diskimager to write the files to SD Card.
    With these files on the sd card LE normally boots, but on this box it boots to Android every time. It's like the reset button is broken and not doing anything.
    I can get into recovery but would like to to if I can boot to the SD Card from there or do I have to install to NAND if I update from EXT??

From thread-3588.html

• To boot the system for the first time you have to use one of the following:

• toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.
      • menu button method (works with very few devices): disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push menu button on your remote control and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.
      • recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.
      • recovery method (2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose any ZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.
      • recovery method (3rd variant): if your box is rooted, use terminal emulator app and execute
        Code
        reboot update

command

• recovery method (4th variant): enable ADB (Google it) and issue
        Code
        adb reboot update

command

• I tried most of these methods and have found the closest I can get is that I can get to the recovery screen by using Android Terminal Emulator.

What files do I need on the sd card to be able to use the update from EXT command in recovery?
    I would like to test sd card install first but thinking I'll have to go straight to installing to NAND.

Appreciate all your help.

EDIT Using Android Terminal Emulator "reboot update" command did work.

Edited once, last by kodiuser1 (January 23, 2017 at 3:29 PM).

• I tried most of these methods and have found the closest I can get is that I can get to the recovery screen by using Android Terminal Emulator.

What files do I need on the sd card to be able to use the update from EXT command in recovery?
    I would like to test sd card install first but thinking I'll have to go straight to installing to NAND.

Appreciate all your help.

EDIT Using Android Terminal Emulator "reboot update" command did work.

I am having the same issue as well. When you used the "reboot update" was your Box Rooted ?

Thanks

• I had an issue like this with my 905x box. What I did was use the UPDATE&BACKUP app that most these boxes come with, zipped up an aml_upgrade_package with 4 other files and boom. I was able to flash out of the Android firmware that prevented my toothpick method, recovery, and booting from sd.

• I am having the same issue as well. When you used the "reboot update" was your Box Rooted ?

Thanks

Yes it was.
    [hr]

I had an issue like this with my 905x box. What I did was use the UPDATE&BACKUP app that most these boxes come with, zipped up an aml_upgrade_package with 4 other files and boom. I was able to flash out of the Android firmware that prevented my toothpick method, recovery, and booting from sd.

My box only has a reset&backup Addon NOT UPDATE&BACKUP.
    [hr]
    Still can't get a MXQ PRO 4 K box to boot LE.

Edited once, last by kodiuser1 (March 3, 2017 at 3:31 AM).

• I had an issue like this with my 905x box. What I did was use the UPDATE&BACKUP app that most these boxes come with, zipped up an aml_upgrade_package with 4 other files and boom. I was able to flash out of the Android firmware that prevented my toothpick method, recovery, and booting from sd.

I was tempted to do the same however I did not want to NAND flash until I try running from SD card first. I even tried putting a Fake ZIP file on the SD card and picked it from Update and Backup but whenever the SD card is inserted it won't get past the S805 AMLOGIC Logo once rebooted. I would Root the box but can't find any easy way to root.

UPDATE:

I found out the Hard way I have one of these MQX Boxes with Fake RAM (512) instead of 1 Gig. It ended up booting fine from the M210D Build of LE. It was the only Build that would boot. All works well except the Box freezes randomly both playing Video and sometimes just idle in Kodi. I tried several Class 10 SD cards same result. Any tips ? I then flashed to NAND. Again works well most of the time with Random Freeze. Using the 7.0.3.3C build from K. If I can stop these Freezes it would run great.

Edited once, last by NINJAIII (March 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM).

• I now have this screen what next?

I would assume update from EXT but which file would I have to have on the SD CARD?
    I would like to run from sd card to see if everything works, before installing to NAND.

THANKS.

Facing the exact same issue. When I try to boot into LibreElec using toothpick method, The Android System Recovery screen shows up and I can't do anything but restart to the Android which I don't like.

Can someone please help us ??

• Hi there,

My friend has a black plastic cases branded MXQ box. I tried all 3 builds on a SD card but can't get it to boot into LE.
    Further more I can't even get it to boot into recovery by holding down the reset button in the AV socket.
    Does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of this horrible Android OS and getting LE installed? Below is a splash image that comes up before the MBOX logo.
    Regards 95e23498618f3226cadcb1865ab13ee0.jpg

Please

Can anyone send me this firmware?

Thanks in advance.