[7.0.3.012l] LibreELEC 7.0 for S905/S905X

• I'm DONE with the the S905X Chip Boxes.

I don't really think we can tar every S905X box with the same brush, because you have had two (from the same Manufacturer) that have failed :D

Have you tried shorting the nand pins to erase / reset it?

Edited once, last by Poida (March 1, 2017 at 9:03 AM).

• I'm DONE with the the S905X Chip Boxes.

I've researched a bit more on why these S905X Boxes are cheaper than S905 Chip Boxes and discovered the Circuit Boards are the first
    crap shortcut in Quality and that is a Major no no for me.

Your conclusion is false.
    There are very shitty boxes with S905 even with fake RAM chips and there are very good boxes with S905X (like the M8S II or MINI MXIII II)

• I received this week a new Q-Box (S905, 2GB / 16GB, 1GB Ethernet). I installed 7.0.3.012i temp_sensor_disabled succesfully to NAND. It works using the default device tree but also with gxl_p212_2g_nand.dtb. I'm guessing it's actually an S905x box because of this.

The problem is powering the box off. The red power button on the box reboots the box. Using the power menu results in this behaviour:

• Shutdown: results in a reboot
    • Suspend: brings the box into sleep (led light stays on)

When doing a suspend, wake up and performing a shutdown the box actually powers down (led light goes off). It can be powered on again using the red power button.

I've tried all tricks I know to make this box shutdown such as using a custom shutdown.sh script. When using SSH using commands such as: halt, shutdown-P, the box doesn't properly poweroff (reboots or even hangs). It is not possible to make a script for first performing a suspend and then a shutdown, simply because after a suspend no more script code is executed.

Any ideas how to make the box powerdown properly and in 1 action?

Edited once, last by Bruur (March 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM).

• I received this week a new Q-Box (S905, 2GB / 16GB, 1GB Ethernet). I installed 7.0.3.012i temp_sensor_disabled succesfully to NAND. It works using the default device tree but also with gxl_p212_2g_nand.dtb. I'm guessing it's actually an S905x box because of this.

The problem is powering the box off. The red power button on the box reboots the box. Using the power menu results in this behaviour:

• Shutdown: results in a reboot
    • Suspend: brings the box into sleep (led light stays on)

When doing a suspend, wake up and performing a shutdown the box actually powers down (led light goes off). It can be powered on again using the red power button.

I've tried all tricks I know to make this box shutdown such as using a custom shutdown.sh script. When using SSH using commands such as: halt, shutdown-P, the box doesn't properly poweroff (reboots or even hangs). It is not possible to make a script for first performing a suspend and then a shutdown, simply because after a suspend no more script code is executed.

Any ideas how to make the box powerdown properly and in 1 action?

Have you checked the ethernet (it's really gigabit)?
    I've never seen an S905X box with gigabit lan. If yours has gigabit I would buy one right now. Could you give a link where you bought it? (In PM)
    Have you tried to hold the power button for a few seconds?

Edited once, last by Pelican (March 1, 2017 at 9:52 AM).

• There are very shitty boxes with S905 even with fake RAM chips

My TX5Pro's that SH#T themselves have Samsung RAM. Qualcomm wifi Blah Blah.
    I'm just making a point on the Board.
    The Board looks like recycled Dogsh#t .
    2 sided circuit board.
    Enough! Start a new thread if you want to take this further.

Have you tried shorting the nand pins to erase / reset it?

2 sided circuit board i cant see any numbers or know of schematic diagram.
    Supplier asked for me to send them back to "Shenzhen Sally" who will get her Engineer "Hong Kong Harry"
    to tell me what happened? I will report back. :idea:

Read This as well #1
    mmpp thanks.

Edited once, last by kostaman (March 1, 2017 at 10:52 AM).

• Have you checked the ethernet (it's really gigabit)?
    Have you tried to hold the power button for a few seconds?

I would like to know too! All other device trees without 1GB LAN resulted in no working Ethernet connection. Sometimes it received an IP address (starting with 169.) but no connectivity. In my experience this happens when the device tree for ethernet is wrong. I tied all device trees for boxes with 2GB on board. Do you have any pointers for me how to test if the ethernet is actually gigabit?

The box doesn't have a powerbutton, it is only powered on by remote and off course the powerplug.

And, indeed I'm merely guessing. A previous Q-box I received a month ago didn't work with the S905x devicetree's. This one does, but also with the default devicetree.
    [hr]
    I forget to mention a detail. The Android version on the previous box was 5, on the new box it is 6. Maybe the new firmware is the cause?

Edited once, last by Bruur (March 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM).

• Read This as well #1

Not very conclusive eh?

Seems to follow the trend we already know of these cheap boxes. Some report great results with a particular type, whilst others don't and vice versa. That's why I'd only pay rock bottom price for them.

Supplier asked for me to send them back to "Shenzhen Sally" who will get her Engineer "Hong Kong Harry" to tell me what happened?

LOL

Edited once, last by Poida (March 1, 2017 at 11:50 AM).

• I would like to know too! All other device trees without 1GB LAN resulted in no working Ethernet connection. Sometimes it received an IP address (starting with 169.) but no connectivity. In my experience this happens when the device tree for ethernet is wrong. I tied all device trees for boxes with 2GB on board. Do you have any pointers for me how to test if the ethernet is actually gigabit?

The box doesn't have a powerbutton, it is only powered on by remote and off course the powerplug.

And, indeed I'm merely guessing. A previous Q-box I received a month ago didn't work with the S905x devicetree's. This one does, but also with the default devicetree.
    [hr]
    I forget to mention a detail. The Android version on the previous box was 5, on the new box it is 6. Maybe the new firmware is the cause?

I can't follow you.
    The lan is working with gxl_p212_2g.dtb, isn't it?
    if yes and the android 6.0 os indicates that it is probably an S905X.
    (As I know the default dtb contains 4 dtb: p200 1g/2g and p212 1g/2g.)
    How to check your lan:
    1. From a terminal you can use the 'ethtool eth0' command to see the capabilities of your lan.
    2. You can open your box and check what lan chip is inside (or take a photo and share here).
    3. You can check your router's connections, some lists the connected devices' speed.

• 1. From a terminal you can use the 'ethtool eth0' command to see the capabilities of your lan.

Thanks for this! This resulted in:

So, the speed is actually 100 mbps :( Bummer.
    Might this be because I have the wrong device tree, with no support for S905x, 2GB AND 1 gigabyte Ethernet?

And could this explain the issue of not wanting to power down?

Edited once, last by Bruur (March 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM).

• Your box would not boot if you flashed a device tree for wrong ethernet speed.

OK, I'll tell you which device trees I tried. I managed to install using the following device trees. LibreElec booted, but ethernet connected through a weird IP (169.* instead of 192.*) and no data came through. Wifi didn't work either.

• gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb
    • gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_OTG_Port.dtb
    • gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_RealtekWiFi.dtb

The following device trees didn't work (LibreElec would startup from SD)

• gxbb_p201.dtb
    • gxl_p212_2g.dtb

The only device trees which resulted in Ethernet with a working connection and Wifi were:

• the default dtb.img
    • gxl_p212_2g_nand.dtb

Maybe this gives a hint which hardware is in the box and why I have powering down issues.

Edited once, last by Bruur (March 1, 2017 at 6:09 PM).

• I can live with that. The biggest problem I have is that the boxes don't power off. Any idea how to fix this?

Have you tried the long press I suggested before?
    Have you triedthe power off method settings in LE?

Edited once, last by Pelican (March 1, 2017 at 9:50 PM).