Norton Warning for this Website

• FYI to the moderators, I have been using the site for some time and this week I started getting warnings from Norton Security.
    Norton Safe Web has analyzed libreelec.tv for safety and security problems. The website is now listed as dangerous and to enter the site I have to choose visit the site anyways - I have to do this for every post and every page. Below is a sample of the threats that were found when I looked at a detailed report on Norton's website. .Summary

• Computer Threats: 2
    • Identity Threats: 0
    • Annoyance factors: 0

Total threats on this site: 2The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis system.
    [hr]
    Warning picture attached.

• IMO, Norton has been a PITA ever since it started messing with Windows' internals with Windows 95. Now, in the sparse time that I do run Windows 10 I use ESET Nod32, and never had any troubles.

Running a Linux machine, I don't have the virus problems you two are talking about. I'm sure it's just another false positive. I pointed vpeter to his executable files, but I think he will give you the same answer I just did.

• LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32-bep.exe is executable compressed with beb from Benjamin's 'BeRo' Rosseaux. Some antivirus programs detect this as a virus because viruses sometimes uses such compression technics. Obviously this is wrong here as confirmed with virustotal.

Using Norton products .... it seems like a joke? :D

File removed - web page is safe and clean again :blush:

Edited once, last by vpeter (December 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM).

• Thanks for sharing the concern but it is a false positive. We use a packing tool to reduce .exe file sizes and because it is very efficient the same tool is also used by lots of bad people who write virus and trojan code. The packer leaves telltale signs in the exe and this sometimes triggers warnings in AV tools that aren't particularly clever (none of them are these days).

• Thanks for sharing the concern but it is a false positive. We use a packing tool to reduce .exe file sizes and because it is very efficient the same tool is also used by lots of bad people who write virus and trojan code. The packer leaves telltale signs in the exe and this sometimes triggers warnings in AV tools that aren't particularly clever (none of them are these days).

It may be a false positive, but it is impacting Norton users for your website.
    I would ask that you please contact Norton to get this resolved. It looks like a fairly simple procedure:

Is This Website Safe | Website Security | Norton Safe Web

Thank you.

• The problematic file was removed. What else is wrong?

I'm not sure what you removed, but the problem remains the same. When logging in there is a Dangerous Website Warning. When changing pages the same warning.
    The warning comes from Norton's servers, so any related webpage from the Libreelec site gets the warning.
    The link I provided is for resolving the warning message with Norton.
    Also when I posted this last message I got the same warning when this page was reopened.

Edited once, last by doggyofone (December 19, 2016 at 2:12 PM).

• We have to go through some process to "unlist" ourselves or we wait until they just happen re-scan our corner of the interwebs and decide we're safe again. It's a thinly veiled scheme which herds you towards paying for a Norton Safe WebSeal thingy to promote you're scanned and clean. I'm personally okay with Norton users being inconvenienced by this. We are not going to waste funding on a webseal, and people might Google and find this thread where I post my ex-Symantec-employee comment about their ability to detect anything useful these days as "pretty low" and Norton junkware not being worth the exorbitant annual fee that's charged. Not that they are particularly unique in this; most AV suite tools are equally naff.

• Website Norton is STILL showing the alert, even though the supposed "offending" files do NOT exist any more. So it's a Norton problem. Probably using a cached version.

Ok, so what is next?. Its my understanding that the owner/rep of the website has to contact Norton. I'm a user so I doubt that I have any say with Norton regarding status for Libreelec.

• Ok, so what is next?. Its my understanding that the owner/rep of the website has to contact Norton. I'm a user so I doubt that I have any say with Norton regarding status for Libreelec.

There are 3 parts here :
    1. A customer who paid a company for a service
    2. A company which is paid to deliver a service
    3. A website which is not paid and do no pay for a service

I fail to understand why 3. has to contact 2. to have 1. happy, unless 1. or 2. have paid 3. in the process...

• There are 3 parts here :
    1. A customer who paid a company for a service
    2. A company which is paid to deliver a service
    3. A website which is not paid and do no pay for a service

I fail to understand why 3. has to contact 2. to have 1. happy, unless 1. or 2. have paid 3. in the process...

[hr]

Well, let me address your points.
    2 has been paid for and provides a service. 2 has identified 3's website as dangerous.
    1 has identified this for 3 and asked for some help to resolve the problem. As this problem will impact more than one customer 3 should be concerned and try to address the issue. 1 cannot address the concern on 3's behalf.
    This is why 3 should contact 1. The resolution looks pretty simple, but again, 2 cannot represent 3 in this matter.
    Thanks

Edited once, last by doggyofone (December 19, 2016 at 3:32 PM).

• Well, let me address your points.

Whatever you feel should be done by 3., It has not asked anyone to sell any service to monitor them and is thus not required to do anything to help.
    This is solely between Norton and its customers and if they are not happy with the service they shall quit.

• The resolution is pretty simple: Ditch the Symantec crapware.

I'm guessing you aren't a moderator, so I'll ask you to save your sarcastic comments for a different post.
    I'm looking to help and get help from a moderator.
    [hr]

Whatever you feel should be done by 3., It has not asked anyone to sell any service to monitor them and is thus not required to do anything to help.
    This is solely between Norton and its customers and if they are not happy with the service they shall quit.

This post is directed to a moderator so that they can help resolve an issue.
    Your comments don't help, nor does it seem like you understand the issue.
    Please move on.

Edited once, last by doggyofone (December 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM).