RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Already put many arcade roms (used with MAME on Windows many years ago) under /storage/roms.
    The files are ".ZIP", do i need to unzip ?
    Is there a specific filename format ?
    Under roms directory, do i need to have subdir like /storage/roms/mame/ ?
    If such subdir isn't required, will the emulationstation check recursively under directories found under roms ?

Thanks!

Yes it should be under /mame. When you look at your libreelec box over your network you should see a whole bunch of subdirectories under the folder named roms. Mame files will remain zipped while most other types of roms should be extracted. A fair amount of retroarch cores don't deal well with zip files.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Hi escalade, thanks for this great build.
    I've a problem with my setup. I upgrade from Libreelec 8.0 to your latest version and the problem is video glitches (blue pixels). After a downgrade to Libreelec 8.0 anything is normal. Any ideas how to solve this?

Hardware : Intel Core I5 4430 Boxed , Asrock B85M-ITX

Edited once, last by BlaBla1973 (March 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM).

• Already put many arcade roms (used with MAME on Windows many years ago) under /storage/roms.
    The files are ".ZIP", do i need to unzip ?
    Is there a specific filename format ?
    Under roms directory, do i need to have subdir like /storage/roms/mame/ ?
    If such subdir isn't required, will the emulationstation check recursively under directories found under roms ?

Thanks!

yes, you need sub dirs for each emulator and the core of course for the emulator (not needed for dolphin/wii/gc) you want to use.

• Am i crazy or the pvr client addon are not accessible in the last build ?
    I'm running Generic.x86_64-8.0-devel-20170228 and when i go to install a pvr client, the list is empty.

• Thanks for the work, this build is exactly what I have been looking for for a long time, retroarch and dolphin on libreelec, living nicely with kodi without keyboard or mouse connected, though game browsing in kodi will be nice if retroplayer included in future kodi works how i think it might. It did take me some time to get the asound.conf working correctly for my intel nuc, dolphin didnt pick up the right audio device until that was set, retroarch audio device can be set in its options so that was a non issue. With asound.conf, I can set kodi option for keep audio device alive to always, and get sound in emulationstation, retroarch, and dolphin perfectly.

the 3/05 build fixed L/R button page scrolling in emulationstation so that's all set now.

My only remaining concern is performance issues for playstation, n64, saturn, and dreamcast cores that didnt exist in ubuntu or in the openelec retroarch addon (on libreelec stable release). I'm using a 7th gen i3 NUC with 8 GB DDR4 2133 (2x4GB) and 250GB pci3x4 m.2. I've got IGD minimum ram set to 512, with aperture set to 1024. I thought I had the 2/28 build running fine except for dreamcast, but I reinstalled that one and am getting the same slowdown so I am at a loss on that. Also, updating mupen64plus core via online updater results in instant crash with libpng12.so.0 not found when trying to launch. In any case, slowdown aside, this is just about perfect.

Edited once, last by Beefgrits (March 8, 2017 at 3:13 AM).

• Yes it should be under /mame. When you look at your libreelec box over your network you should see a whole bunch of subdirectories under the folder named roms. Mame files will remain zipped while most other types of roms should be extracted. A fair amount of retroarch cores don't deal well with zip files.

Wow... Works great on my NUC5CPYH (N3050 Celeron Intel NUC) except for two things:

1) No sound in emulators (N64 and MAME).
    Saw that my HDMI connection (from aplay -L) is :
    hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output

Added it to /storage/.config/asound.conf :

Code
    pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm {
            @func getenv
            vars [ ALSAPCM ]
            # Device name can be found using the command 'aplay -L'
            default "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0"
        }
    }

When testing with speaker-test i get noise which is fine...

2) No sound in Google Chrome either (only video from youtube) ?

• That format didnt work for me, what did end up working on my nuc7i3bnk was below. You can also set device in the retroarch audio settings to hw:0,3 (hdmi digital audio in my limited experience for 2 different intel based PCs with integrated video) to fix retroarch sound, but doesnt help dolphin or emulationstation. the asound.conf i used below works for everything.

Edited once, last by Beefgrits (March 8, 2017 at 4:02 AM).

• Beefgrits

Said cores are working great on my 3 year old D54250 NUC. They are all compiled from the latest git version and optimized for performance. The RetroArch core downloader thing is just a bad idea, as many cores link with dynamic libraries. Linux binaries work best in the environment they were compiled for unless special care has been taken to make them compatible across distributions.

Ti-Paul

If speaker-test is working, then you've got it right. Disable "keep audio device alive" in Kodi audio settings and you should be fine.

• Hey escalade, how i can backup in your build? Unfortunately, Libreelec does not contain all data. I want to copy the whole build from one computer to another without mirroring the hard disk itself. Can you explain it to me?

• Hey escalade, how i can backup in your build? Unfortunately, Libreelec does not contain all data. I want to copy the whole build from one computer to another without mirroring the hard disk itself. Can you explain it to me?

Rsync is another good option. You could even have it setup to make backups automatically with a cron job: How to Use rsync to Backup Your Data on Linux

ETA: don't follow any instructions for installing rsync. It is already included in this build.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by jctennis (March 8, 2017 at 12:20 PM).