RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• They stay the same version unless I manually update the packages. Exceptions are Chrome, Spotify and Plex. They are just scripts that download the apps on the fly when run. Delete /storage/.cache/app.chrome and you'll get an updated version on next run. This is done because I don't think it's legal to distribute the binaries of these apps.

I see. Thanks for info. :)

Ps. can you include this patch in your next build? (If this is a lot of work to do please ignore it.)

• Blackhazard

Probably not. Like I said, that would require a lot of work. All the packages would need additional addon install routines, source code would probably need to be modified to store addon data in the proper "Kodi way" under /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data (see here for a horrific example of that), scripts would have to be rewritten, etc. Then there's the practical bits around creating a repo to host them (as LE might not want to host some of these addons), build scripts to update the repo and so on. I'm not a big believer in the Kodi addon system as a package management tool, it's simply a lot of extra work for the packager and for little benefit.

As it is now, most of the packages have been polished and tested, most of the work I do is simply bumping the version in package.mk and run make, then there's a fresh .tar to upload. Using standard install routines and putting everything into the image allows me to add new packages with little work. I do some mods to the LE core system as well, like building some libraries as shared libraries which allows me to run Google Chrome and Spotify. Consider that my motivation for this work is to extend LE for my own HTPC use, I'm simply sharing it as others might find it useful.

If anyone would like to undertake the task to convert my packages to addons, feel free to do so :)

pawnthep

I could, but I'd rather not maintain out of tree patches for niche products that I don't even own. Why don't you create a PR for getting it into LE? Or try getting it in the upstream Linux kernel? Then it would trickle down to my build eventually.

Edited once, last by escalade (December 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM).

• pawnthep

I could, but I'd rather not maintain out of tree patches for niche products that I don't even own. Why don't you create a PR for getting it into LE? Or try getting it in the upstream Linux kernel? Then it would trickle down to my build eventually.

Ok, thanks.

There is someone else posted this in bug report thread. Hope it gets to the upstream Linux kernel sooner or later. :rolleyes:

• jaykass

Then I'm out of ideas. Have gone through my commits and can't find anything that should cause the kernel not to find init, and the initramfs looks good. Same tree works for Generic. Guess it's end of the road for my RPi builds for now.

I'll try to get to some testing and compiling soon and report back my findings.

• Hi@all,

is it possible to use a XOB 360 Wireless Controller for Emustation?
    KODI can be used with it. But when I start Emulator Section, my controller can't be used :(

Thanks for help.

• Any reason why the RetroArch launcher was removed from the main menu? I love using RetroArch as a frontend rather then EmulationStation.

EDIT: Found /storage/.config/emulator-frontend.conf .... Thanks for having that. Switched it off to RetroArch. Nicely done.

Edited once, last by RobLoach (December 31, 2016 at 2:54 AM).

• I'll try to get to some testing and compiling soon and report back my findings.

Only thing somewhat meaningful that I have found so far is that I can use kernel from 20161209 build in recent builds to get it to boot. I'm not sure if there is a risk in doing this or not, but it allowed me to at least get to the kodi interface.

• Andi_bz

I can reproduce here. Have no idea what's causing that either, although it seems to be Python related. I have made no mods to Python though, but it was recently upgraded to 2.7.13 in master.

noxx

In the RetroArch core options (hit F1).

Any progress on the youtube plugin issue? I'm having the same problem. I stepped through the call stack and nothing seemed too unusual until the exception is thrown?

Did the urllib2 python lib change in addition to the python version changing?

• I use my PS3 controller. The controller never auto disconnects. Any suggestions on getting it to send a sleep signal to the PS3 controller if there is no input after a while (5 minutes)? As it currently stands, I manually hold the "Playstation" button until it shuts off the controller. However, if I start a video and press/hold the "Playstation" button, it switches to the home screen. I found this and tried the suggestion hoping it would ignore a long press. Also I've tried putting other custom PS3 keymaps in /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/ to override the PS3 keymap, but I'm not having any luck. I should mention I'm on the Nov 10 2016 build.

• Same kernel panic error that all Pi users are getting...

Do you have a stable build for Pi that you could put up until this issue is resolved?

Looking forward to using your build!

• mklein49

Yes, I've narrowed it down to the -O2 optimization that I use. New rebased builds with -Os are on the way that will fix the youtube issue.

I'm not sure why this is suddenly an issue, as I've been using -O2 without issue from the very start of this build. The only package to ever have an issue with -O2 was Kodi itself which would segfault on ARM. I've tried using -Os only on libressl/kodi/python to narrow it down further but still same issue.

dtw_2000

There isn't a solution for that AFAIK. I don't know if it's a technical issue with the kernel driver, or if it's with the BlueZ bluetooth stack, but it's definitely not a LibreELEC specific issue. Same problem with the DS4 as well, quite annoying.

mgkasper6

I don't keep an archive, but I think someone mentioned an older build posted a few pages back so have a look. I guess a rebuild should be tried as well as there has been RPi firmware updates in master. My only build machine is my i3 laptop which is busy with the other builds atm so it'll have to wait.

• There isn't a solution for that AFAIK. I don't know if it's a technical issue with the kernel driver, or if it's with the BlueZ bluetooth stack, but it's definitely not a LibreELEC specific issue. Same problem with the DS4 as well, quite annoying.

This is what I'm using until the bluetooth issue is fixed: create /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps/joystick.xml

XML
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <keymap>
      <FullscreenVideo>
        <joystick>
          <guide>noop</guide>
          <back>ActivateWindow(Home)</back>
        </joystick>
      </FullscreenVideo>
    </keymap>

Now, I can start a video and force shutdown the controller without interfering with kodi. It's not a perfect solution, but workable.

I've been using kodi/xbmc since the OG xbox days. kodi has moved along tremendously, but I've always missed using a gamepad and having quick access to retro emulators since moving to the pi/pi2. Thank you for this build!