RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• As for http://youtube.com/tv, it needs pulseaudio for some reason. Execute these commands through SSH before starting Chrome:

Code
    # touch /storage/.config/usepulse
    # pactl load-module module-udev-detect

The first command tells the chrome script not to stop pulseaudio. The second command tells pulseaudio to automatically detect soundcards through udev.

Now http://youtube.com/tv will not freeze and should have sound. If it does not have sound you will need to learn how to use pactl to set the default sink.

• I've removed the shutdown options, look in the emulationstation patches. I'm using default Estuary, look here.

About Arcade PC, I am going to stay in lakka because my graphic card is not compatible with your build. I removed it but then retroarch is so laggy. Also, once in Kodi, it detects my wifi signal but give me error after my password input... And finally, there is the startup/shutdown issues... so I think it not deserves all the time it need to config the system just to play a couple of mame games occasionally. Anyways, thank you.

About skin mod I discovered that files are in usr folder, I copied them, rename skin and upload to storage folder. Now I edit home.xml as you said. Everything is ok. thanks again.

One more thing, don't you consider to include mame2010 core? I use in my pi for a couple of more modern games and it works. Is the only way I have to play my lovely World Rally

• As for http://youtube.com/tv, it needs pulseaudio for some reason. Execute these commands through SSH before starting Chrome:

Code
    # touch /storage/.config/usepulse
    # pactl load-module module-udev-detect

The first command tells the chrome script not to stop pulseaudio. The second command tells pulseaudio to automatically detect soundcards through udev.

Now http://youtube.com/tv will not freeze and should have sound. If it does not have sound you will need to learn how to use pactl to set the default sink.

Hi. Thanks for your answers guys.
    Honestly, I do not know if it's because I do not explain myself well, or if there is any relationship with the audio that http://youtube.com/tv gets stuck with the loading circle, something like this: Best_524ffb_2481171.gif

Because in Chrome I do have sound. Even in the navigation of the same http://youtube.com/tv I have sound, the only problem is that damn circle that stays there spinning endlessly. For example, if I enter the normal YouTube page, I mean youtube.com, everything works correctly, both videos and sound. I only have problems with that specific page, http://youtube.com/tv, that if it has sound in the navigation menu, but the video stays in infinite load with the circle that already we all know.

Greetings and thanks friends.

• @bite_my_idols

I'd say you give up quick, but sure use whatever works for you :) Maybe your card is an older geforce 6 or 7 series? I removed the nvidia legacy drivers from recent builds to save some space didn't think anyone used those. If I include them them the generic build is at a full 512MB. As for the wireless issue, surely there are hints in the system log. LibreELEC uses connman and so should support most wireless configurations.

Regarding the mame core I'm currently investigating the status of the different versions. I went with 2003 previously as it was the only one that was properly maintained, and it's also just 30MB binary. If you are using the 2010 core on your pi then I guess it's an old binary from somewhere because the current mame2010 core does not compile for the rpi.

I've uploaded mame2014 for the rpi on my gdrive if you want to give it a go.

DaRKeN

I understand perfectly well, and you quoted the answer to your own problem.

New build 20161115:

Code
    - Added back nvidia legacy drivers (this will probably need to go to make room for other things as I've maxed out 512MB for generic at this point)
    - Enable SMB2 and SMB3 support for the kernel CIFS module
    - Updated kernel to 4.8.7
    - Updates to glupen64-libretro, retroarch-joypad-autoconfig, libretro-database, snes9x2010-libretro, scummvm-libretro, mgba-libretro, mesa and retroarch
    - Fixed an issue with nmon

Edited once, last by escalade (November 15, 2016 at 4:26 PM).

• @bite_my_idols

I'd say you give up quick, but sure use whatever works for you :) Maybe your card is an older geforce 6 or 7 series? I removed the nvidia legacy drivers from recent builds to save some space didn't think anyone used those. If I include them them the generic build is at a full 512MB. As for the wireless issue, surely there are hints in the system log. LibreELEC uses connman and so should support most wireless configurations.

Regarding the mame core I'm currently investigating the status of the different versions. I went with 2003 previously as it was the only one that was properly maintained, and it's also just 30MB binary. If you are using the 2010 core on your pi then I guess it's an old binary from somewhere because the current mame2010 core does not compile for the rpi.

I've uploaded mame2014 for the rpi on my gdrive if you want to give it a go.

yeah, you're right, I give up quick this time :P... In my pi I can spend all time it needs but in the arcade PC I don't want to spend a minute more than it needs, it is just for a quick mame plays occaionally. The card is a geforce 6 series and I guess wireless issue can be easily fixed but since the PC is inside the arcade cabinet, far away from wired internet connection I give up.
    Maybe, when I get bored from retroarch and want emulationstation give LibreELEC a new try...

About mame2010, I compiled it some months ago using retropie's experimental menu, and it works. Today I compiled it for generic using lakka toolchain and now it is working in my arcade cabinet, but I will take a look to mame2014, I will try it later in my py, thanks for the binary.

• If VIA wouldnt be an ass, i could possibly give out some thinkpads S12 with your build (or something else) on it. As it is, i can only get acceptable graphics in XP.

Whereever i'll see an old computer lying i'll put your build on it. I wouldnt mind additional 40mb then.

• As they often do in RetroPie they probably used an old commit and/or fixed it up. If the latest available code does not compile and work I consider it broken and unsupported. I got it compiled for generic, but when I run it the aspect looks wrong and the graphics are grainy.

I just tried mame2014 on generic and it runs great. Works on rpi as well except there is no sound. Will investigate a bit but it looks to me like mame2003 is still the way to go...

• As they often do in RetroPie they probably used an old commit and/or fixed it up. If the latest available code does not compile and work I consider it broken and unsupported. I got it compiled for generic, but when I run it the aspect looks wrong and the graphics are grainy.

I just tried mame2014 on generic and it runs great. Works on rpi as well except there is no sound. Will investigate a bit but it looks to me like mame2003 is still the way to go...

If you want to try it, you can download here. I tried your mame2014 core and it runs more slowly and with choppy sound, my 2010 works better, at least with the only game I tried. But, as you said, the best mame is 2003, it is what I use, mame2010 core is just for that game I posted before, a classic arcade game of my chilhood.

One quick question about compiling , when you exec "make image" does it detect automatically all packages defined in packages folder or you have to define them in some file?

• If you follow the first Makefile, you'll see that a "make image" runs "scripts/image". You should read that to get a better understanding of how packages are installed. Basically, everything gets installed in there through running "scripts/install package". I simply add dependencies to the "oem" virtual package which is already included in scripts/install. The scripts locates package.mk inside any subdirectory in there.
    [hr]
    I've got both mame2010 and mame2014 running on the rpi now after borrowing some cross compilation patches from lrusak :) They work good but you can see small slowdowns in some games on '10 and on most games with '14. The binary size of '10 is 50MB and '14 is 97MB. Guess it's like they say, later versions of mame are more accurate but at the cost of performance. Also the rpi isn't very powerful. Everything is silky smooth in the mame2003 core though.

Edited once, last by escalade (November 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM).

• DaRKeN

I understand perfectly well, and you quoted the answer to your own problem.

Hi. Thank you very much for answering. I tell you what happened:

- In reading your answer, I understood that if it is related to one thing with another, I just wanted to corroborate for fear of messing up. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D (Thanks)

- I do not know if it is a necessary data, but I have a laptop connected by HDMI to a TV. And as I said before, the sound of the navigation menu of http://youtube.com/tv if it had sound, sound emitted by the TV, until then well, except for the load of the video.

- I executed its commands via SSH, and THEN THE VIDEO BEGAN TO REPRODUCE !!! Hehehe (Thanks again), but the sound came out of the laptop speakers :(

- I closed and reopened Chrome and the same result.

- Restart the system. And the video plays, which is what I wanted to solve, but now there is no sound or TV, and there is no sound on the laptop.

- This is the same with all pages of Chrome, which has no sound now.

As an extra data, I do not know if it's relevant, I always have the asound.conf file with these lines:

Code
    pcm.!default {
          type plug
          slave.pcm {
                  type hw
                  card 1
                  device 3
          }
    }

That is the only way I get the whole system of audio on TV. But now, Chrome does not have any sound, even though the asound.conf file is on its respective site. Although as I said before, http://youtube.com/tv already works and plays the videos. How could I do now to return the sound to Chrome to come out on TV?

Until the restart, I took it off the TV and it sounded on the laptop speakers, but now nothing at all. Kodi, thank God, continues to have sound and plays it correctly on TV. Hehe.

Regards and sorry for the inconvenience.

• If you follow the first Makefile, you'll see that a "make image" runs "scripts/image". You should read that to get a better understanding of how packages are installed. Basically, everything gets installed in there through running "scripts/install package". I simply add dependencies to the "oem" virtual package which is already included in scripts/install. The scripts locates package.mk inside any subdirectory in there.

yeah! I followed your steps and found OEM_EMU_COMMON, OEM_EMU_GENERIC and OEM_EMU_RPI. I replace your lists with mines and I waiting for compiler...
    Thanks a lot!

I've got both mame2010 and mame2014 running on the rpi now after borrowing some cross compilation patches from lrusak :exclamation: They work good but you can see small slowdowns in some games on '10 and on most games with '14. The binary size of '10 is 50MB and '14 is 97MB. Guess it's like they say, later versions of mame are more accurate but at the cost of performance. Also the rpi isn't very powerful. Everything is silky smooth in the mame2003 core though.

mame2003 FTW! also, in latest builds it includes core input configurations from retroarch quick menu instead using system settings menu.

anyways, anyone using a 8bitdo controller? I am in love with the SFC30 model but I need to be sure that it works in LibreELEC/retroarch...

• anyways, anyone using a 8bitdo controller? I am in love with the SFC30 model but I need to be sure that it works in LibreELEC/retroarch...

I am using a SNES30 and its working great in Kodi, emulationstation, and retroarch. IIRC, I did a bit of config when I first set up my system but its been great ever since.

• anyways, anyone using a 8bitdo controller? I am in love with the SFC30 model but I need to be sure that it works in LibreELEC/retroarch...

I had some difficulties a while ago (but i did mess some things up, so i don't know if it was LE's fault)

In this build(rPi) everything works ok.
    Firmware of both SFC30 controllers is 2.69. I set them up in kodi first, then retroarch, then ES. They work flawlessly in LE/retroarch.
    I played 2player MK1 on saturday :D

-----
    yes, i believe it did work in retroarch out of the box. I dont know if everything. I had to map exit combination anyways, so i went through all of the buttons.

Edited once, last by jayfkay (November 16, 2016 at 8:25 PM).