RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• There's no sign of launching either emulationstation or sway there. Did you get the logs after a clean boot of the image flashed to an USB drive? Make sure you reproduce _after_ the clean boot and _before_ getting the logfile. The zip file is generated once you enter the logfile share. Logs are wiped on boot. The answer to whatever your issue is should be in the logs.

Also, did you create the file /storage/.config/mesa.conf as mentioned above?

• New generic version uploaded.

• Boots directly to Sway
    • Added Spotify
    • New boot splash
    • Added A2DP codecs (like apt-x)

How do I make it boot to Kodi instead of desktop? My HTPC does not have a mouse connected, only Xbox gamepad + remote. Running RetroELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2-devel-20200301215948-251e0c5

• Change frontend=sway to frontend=kodi in /boot/syslinux.cfg.

I assume, you mean /flash/syslinux.cfg ? I had to add frontend=kodi to the kernel cmdline. There was not 'frontend=' tag present.

The system now boots straight into Kodi.

Another question, did any HDMI-related settings change ?

I noticed a new problem/bug:

Kodi starts up while the receiver/tv is turned off. When I now turn on the TV, the Kodi's screen seems scaled into some kind of 'overscan' mode - meaning the outer pixels are outside of the TV screen (not shown). Also, there's no audio (receiver shows no audio coming in). Restarting Kodi with TV/receiver turned on fixes this.

This did not happen with older releases.

• I assume, you mean /flash/syslinux.cfg ? I had to add frontend=kodi to the kernel cmdline. There was not 'frontend=' tag present.

The system now boots straight into Kodi.

I see it there, thank you. But I totally forgot how to make it writable :S edit: ok, found out. Adding that line "frontend=kodi" still makes it boot to sway for me though.

Regarding your HDMI issue, I have that with my TV and Kodi (although using 17.6 there), if I do not start the TV first, Kodi will use 1080p resolution, which looks like a mess. If I start my TV first and then Kodi box, Kodi will use 2160p resolution (which is correct for my TV). Don't want to update that box because of partially broken subtitle handling in 18.x so can't confirm with newer versions.

Edited 3 times, last by slacker666 (March 3, 2020 at 9:16 PM).

• I see it there, thank you. But I totally forgot how to make it writable :S edit: ok, found out. Adding that line "frontend=kodi" still makes it boot to sway for me though.

Regarding your HDMI issue, I have that with my TV and Kodi (although using 17.6 there), if I do not start the TV first, Kodi will use 1080p resolution, which looks like a mess. If I start my TV first and then Kodi box, Kodi will use 2160p resolution (which is correct for my TV). Don't want to update that box because of partially broken subtitle handling in 18.x so can't confirm with newer versions.

mine looks like this:

Code
    cinemax:~ # cat /flash/syslinux.cfg 
    DEFAULT linux
    PROMPT 0

LABEL linux
     KERNEL /KERNEL
     APPEND boot=UUID=7CD3-0C9C disk=UUID=408c4012-4ec8-4e1e-ba5f-38a1373bd26b   quiet tty frontend=kodi

Regarding the HDMI issue, I also remember this from past releases of LibreElec. But, I did not happen with RetroElec, so far.

Maybe it's a something I have misconfigured during the many recent fresh installs....

• Mine looks very similar, so no idea why it won't work

Code
    DEFAULT linux
    PROMPT 0

LABEL linux
     KERNEL /KERNEL
     APPEND boot=LABEL=System disk=LABEL=Storage  quiet tty frontend=kodi

I did an update from 17.6 but that's about it (this being another box, not the main one).

• hi I have no audio.

how i change audio card/device ?, if i change asound.conf restarting lost changes.

thanks.

• Anyone successfuly install hyperion (Hyperion - Forum) on RetroELEC?

I used this community release of LE years ago and Hyperion works as a charm on it. Now I get errors during installation:

I noticed that installer didn't properly recognized OS because of that code:

Code
    # Find out if we are on OpenElec (Rasplex) / OSMC / Raspbian
    OS_OPENELEC=`grep -m1 -c 'OpenELEC\|RasPlex\|LibreELEC\|OpenPHT\|PlexMediaPlayer' /etc/issue`
    OS_LIBREELEC=`grep -m1 -c 'LibreELEC' /etc/issue`
    OS_RASPLEX=`grep -m1 -c RasPlex /etc/issue`
    OS_OSMC=`grep -m1 -c OSMC /etc/issue`
    OS_RASPBIAN=`grep -m1 -c 'Raspbian\|RetroPie' /etc/issue`

So I manually added \|RetroELEC to first two lines and now installer is properly recognizing OS and installation is now running succesful but starting hyperion service deamon is crashing video output and ambilight doesnt work at all.

I hope someone will help me :(

EDIT:

escalade

How unlock /etc for writing in RetroELEC? Maybe that will help me

Edited 2 times, last by Zjadlbymcos (March 6, 2020 at 10:00 PM).

• Hi escalade,

I was wondering if there's any gain from compiling with march=silvermont or goldmont (my J5005 should be a goldmont-plus).

As I don't really want to waste your time and resources, I'd do it myself. But, it seems that the code at github is not up to date.

Would you mind updating it or sharing it with me ?

Thx.

Edited 2 times, last by mtk1 (March 9, 2020 at 8:34 AM).

• Does anyone have Chinese font rendering working in Firefox ?

I only get bogus artefacts here.

I installed Noto fonts. 'font-cache' can see them. They are listed in Firefox, and I can choose them under 'Preferences' - But somehow Chinese characters are not rendered properly.

• Before coming across this project I first stumbled across this one.

LibreELEC-RR 9.x [ Emulationstation | Retroarch | Pegasus | DolphinQT | Moonlight | Chrome | Spotify ]

I was just curious how they differ.

EDIT:

Played around with both using usb live sticks.

I was able to get sound to work with the LibreELEC-RR properly (ie ALSA inside kodi so I can do passthrough) but no sound to come through with RetroELEC in kodi, but it did have sound coming through in the ROMs.

Other thing I noticed, LibreELEC seems to have stalled in dev as no updates since Oct of '19 and the Kodi build is at 18.4 while RetroELEC has much more recent nightly's and even are running Kodi 18.6 which does bode better for the future.

Edited once, last by pletopia (March 10, 2020 at 11:19 PM).