Is it on the roadmap for LibreElec to support DolbyVision FEL 7 on compatible Android Boxes utilizing the s922x chipset?

• As per the title really. I was wondering whether this was on the roap map or an impossibility with how Libreelec differs from CoreElec? Thought it would be an interesting discussion for anyone that knows more as to the limitations and possibilities of this making it's way to LibreElec?

• Dolby Vision (DV) needs a payed license per device. Devices with Linux support and DV license are super rare. That's why we don't support DV, and don't have a roadmap for it.

Pro tip: Search for "Dolby Vision" (magnifier icon) at the LE main page. This question was answered several times.

• Thanks for the reply. But surely LibreElec could support DV if the SOC that it was installed on already had a paid license? Is it not possible to support LibreElec on a platform that does have the license paid... It seems CoreElec have piggybacked off of that capability?

Edited once, last by thestraycat (September 10, 2024 at 4:46 AM).

• Thanks for the reply. But surely LibreElec could support DV if the SOC that it was installed on already had a paid license? Is it not possible to support LibreElec on a platform that does have the license paid... It seems CoreElec have piggybacked off of that capability?

No. Never is a long time, but the focus for these builds (from LibreELEC) still seems to be upstream, and dovi is proprietary. kszaq is the reason that amlogic worked as well as it did, maybe they'll grace us with their presence again. But for now, you're going to have the wild fragmentation in CoreELEC and similar while they're refusing to take any changes from cpm.

Too much ego in this.

• vpeter  KyleS

I'm a bit underspeed on this! I believe that sraue was the original openelec founder that led to the creation of libreelec and coreelec. However I'm not too sure who kszaq is or whether he/she/they work for librelec or coreelec... Or why that would be an issue.

Can you summarize what's happened? Genuinely interested to understand it better.

Update: Been trawling a few threads.. picked out this comment randomly from a long thread as it seems to summarize one persons opinion of the forking of the project.

• I'll give you a potted summary: the CoreELEC founders claim they were "thrown out of Team LibreELEC" when in fact they left of their own accord because they couldn't handle their Amlogic contributions being peer-reviewed, and since then they've been sniping at LibreELEC while consuming _everything_ we produce and giving _nothing_ back. They left, it was their choice, and they're full of animosity/hate - there's little we can do about how they feel to be honest, but we certainly won't tolerate their sh*t on our forum.

So it seems:

LibreElec = RPI/x86 Generic

CoreElec = Android (Amologic)

?

Edited once, last by thestraycat (September 12, 2024 at 6:01 PM).

• sorry what is cpm an abbreviation of?

cpm is a user over in the CoreElec forums who has done some work on improving Dolby VS10 and other stuff within CoreElec.

Fundamentally - as I understand it - LibreElec runs with the mainstream Linux approach to video (using V4L2 stuff? - and there is some AMLogic support for mainline now) whereas CoreElec has taken a different path that allows their AMLogic specific implementation (using a non-mainline approach) to continue to work with Kodi using the AMLogic proprietary stuff?

• Looks like you don't understand what this discussion is all about. Hint: nothing about CE-LE relationship ;)

I dont. That's why i'm asking.

cpm is a user over in the CoreElec forums who has done some work on improving Dolby VS10 and other stuff within CoreElec.

Fundamentally - as I understand it - LibreElec runs with the mainstream Linux approach to video (using V4L2 stuff? - and there is some AMLogic support for mainline now) whereas CoreElec has taken a different path that allows their AMLogic specific implementation (using a non-mainline approach) to continue to work with Kodi using the AMLogic proprietary stuff?

Thanks. That makes sense.

So is it safe to say, For Dolby Vision support (on a DoVi supported Amlogic platform) CoreElec is my best bet for the foreseeable future?