Posts by thestraycat

Is it that the HDMI handshaking and/or stability are affected when using the Argon One case? Real shame... I was looking at getting one purely for NVMe... Are there any less troublesome cases that enable an M.2 NVMe device on a RPI? I have a few spare and want to get off this SD Card :)

chewitt - Thanks for the reply - I agree with your points.

Just to stretch the conversation, I suppose the power consumption may not be too much of an issue for me if i'm only using the system for 2-3 hours twice a week for a movie etc as my main lounge htpc solution. However i'm totally rpi4 on any additional tv's in bedrooms etc.

And i totally agree with your point about the amount of fixes and optmizations that go into the rpi4 codebase compared to snowflake generic builds. I'd assume there's a ton more variables that can catch anyone running a generic build that the rpi4 dosn't have to worry about.

However, do you not feel that from a future proofing perspective that we're nearing the end of what the rpi4b hardware can handle in terms of gpu and hardware limitations for anything more than 4K HDR 10bit? It feels that the next move for tv and film will be a push to 8k and i'm not sure when and even if the rpi5 will compliment the move to these future formats... (Granted they'll be very little content in 8k for years etc, etc so potentially a moot point for most people.) It does feel like for me it's a consideration because i already have both rpi4 and the kit to assemble the higher end generic build.

Lastly, is there not an argument for potentially better movie decoding from the generic build in regards to using a more powerful dedicated GPU for processing and image optimization compared to the capabilities of the rpi4? That's me asking... i really don't have any comparison for this.

Hi Guys,

I've been sitting on some hardware for two Intel Xeon D HTPC's that i plan on using some older AMD RX550 passive gpu's i have lying about. In the meantime i've been using the RPI4b and tbh... It's handled everything pretty well. I'm an avid 4K x265 10bit media consumer and I'm always interested in ways of using more computation power to better my HTPCs processing and image quality so it's nice to have the head room in the intel htpc but i'm struggling to think of any real advanages to running an intel based HTPC with an aftermarket AMD RX550 over just the RPI4b right now, other than having a platform that i can swap the card out for to support native 8k hardware decoding in the future and potentially dual booting into a more capable emulation pc i'm strugging to justify keeping the components from both htpc's.

Interested to hear others friendly opinions that 'are' or 'were' running a generic build. And what their views are right now with where the rpi4b currently is at with librelec development.

Cheers

Hi there guys,

I was seriously considering the RX550 as an upgrade to my ageing 750ti for my current build. I'm looking fo testimonials on peoples experiences.

Does LibreElec 9.xx have solid support for the RX550? I see from looking through the forum quite a few issues around audio dropping out and glitches. Is this now fixed?

Lastly, Is this card supported for 4k@60 at 10bit HDR and 4:4:4? and native HEVC decode? I couldnt see any references for this card exactly?

Thanks. Yeah, I tend to agree. The Nas serves purpose for now as I do see 125mb/s from it and Its 10gb ready when I take the plunge and update the switch. I am running automation tools that send requests to clean and update the database as necessary when content is added. But I also do a routine scan at boot that occasionally catches Content that has been added since the htpc clients have been powered off and didn't want to go to a centralised SQL setup for complexities sake and increased dependencies on the setup, however at the scale of my library it can take around 1m to complete these days and hammers the device whilst it runs. The problem for me with throw away android boxes is the dependency on my triboot build needing windows for emulation. Hence why the android boxes are a no go.. and I need a little horsepower for that. What makes the android boxes so popular in terms of librelec development? Onboard chips support a handful of codecs at the time of manafacture, devs write code once and know that it'll be supported amongst a handful of cheap boxes with minimal customization? Would you say AMD (on Linux) are any further ahead in terms of 4k HDR h265 at multiple Color depths? Its a real pain with the Linux drivers always trailing the windows drivers in terms of cutting edge support. sorry for the questions I just see a lot of conflicting info online on the subject.

Spot on response. Thanks so much for that, answered so many of my questions...

I'd have thought off the top of off my head that there must be a lot of Nvidia hardware out there being re-purposed for DIY HTPC's though due to their prominence in the GPU scene? Maybe only second to the dominance of Intel integrated GPU's in the HTPC space?

Would AMD be a better choice going forward or is the future looking comparably bleak for them as well?

I really want to remain on x86 as i tri-boot these boxes and a have a dependency on Windows for Hyperspin (Over Hyperpie)... i do prefer the ideology of simply updating GPU's over replacing complete android boxes...(although i understand they are a huge overkill purely for HTPC!)

Is there any card in particular you could suggest with any life left in it going forward? (Low profile, single slot to add further complication) :)

Hi guys,

I'm putting together a new HTPC using parts i have... after growing out of my 2 x NUC's running Openelc 8.2.5 and wanting to push 4k content. I have two questions for anyone that has done it already...

I have a mini itx board, 16gb DDR4, 2 x 10GB ethernet and 4 core ~ 8 threads at 2.4ghz and a samsung pro 500gb SSD and a PCIe x16 gen3 slot for external GPU.

I have 2 GPU's handy.. .A 750ti and a 1030 i'm looking to future proof as much as possible. And have a few x265 4k encoded videos i'd like to play back? What would be the best direction? i do watch a lot of Anime and 8/10bit encoding would be beneficial. I'd be interested in future proofing to 8k but understand standards are far from set on this. :)

My second question is, i have quite a large collection (2000 movies ~ 15,000 tv episodes etc.) And am currently running from SATA SSD. My new board can take an m.2 NVMe drive like the Samsung Pro 970's my question really is, will i benefit from the upgrade? I've noticed scanning and cleaning the library can take some time.. All of my content lives on a NAS tied to single spinning disks (unraid) running at around 125-160MB/s would i benefit from the upgrade? I'm looking at speeding up the local database but am unsure whether the jump from 500MB/s to 2500MB/s will be utilized anyone done a swap out of their custom rig and noticed the difference?

Any advice would be good, i've been holding off any purchases.

HI guys,

I was wondering if there was an easy way of installing a clean version of LibreElec 8.2 in place of my v7.x install but preserving my Aeon Nox customisations?

I'm getting a lot cache full errors from what feels like bad upgrades potentially and cached files... I've made custom smart playlists, custom homepage categories etc, custom film discoveries etc, and don't want to have to relive the pain of recreating them all. Is there a file i can easily backup to preserve this info? Any info would be handy...

hi guys,

Bit stuck. I've been using an i5 NUC (WYK) for a few years and moved over from openelec to librelec around 4 months ago. Since then i've been having lots of "Cache Full" buffering issues playing ANY content from my unraid server from 400mb to 20gb files sizes, it's guaranteed to buffer at least once.

Everything is gigabit connected and i can get file copies of 110mb from the server to the client.

Any ideas? I'm really unsure as to why im getting these errors.

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place... Whenever i upgrade from 7.0.3 to 8.0.2 my skin resets to estuary and aeon nox 5 wont load due to dependency issues... Does anyone else experience this issue? whenever i click on update it fails with the dependency issue.

Hi guys,

Thinking of hopping over my 2 NUC's (I5 4250WYK) from openelec to librelec.

I use Smart Playlists in Openelec for Aeon Nox homescreen for custom categories like "BluRay" "Anime" etc...

Am i likely to lose all these settings when moving over?

Can anyone comment on whether there custom settings were remembered when they migrated over?

Hi guys, new to the forum, I'm sure it's been asked a million times before... but the reason i ask...

I get that this project is more active and i'm really interested in moving over so that it keeps evolving at a healthy pace if that's the way of the project but after googling a bit over a period of a few weeks i couldn't find any striking differences feature between OE and LE.

I have 3 triple boot NUC's that i currently use as HTPC's - configured and customized with Aeon Nox so a change over is a bit of a gamble for me as if all goes well it's painless but if any of the boot entry's partition dont align and there problems (i've discovered some undocumented bugs with the early NUC's) then a full rebuild of each of these HTPC's could be on the cards and thats a real ball ache for no real gain.

I get that in the near future this project will likely rocket but i was really wondering whether there way anything stand out already that would sway me to go through the switch over?

I get that it practically just dumping a couple of files in the SMB update share but it's all the manual config and then the pain of a switch over if it's lacking features that bothers me :)

I hope someone can advise. Just looking for a fair top level overview comparison of where both projects currently are.