Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• When playing an amiga game using libretro you can enter retroarch, then select core options, and over there you can find screen size option...

OK, thanks, stupid me. Now I found the options to change this, but now there is the "funny" problem that when I change the resolution, nothing seems to work right... The best result is achieved using "your" resolution (640x256) - but the emulator then only covers half the screen...

About savestates, as I said this core is totally experimental and its creator did not make any improve since its firts version, it would be nice to add savestates features.

Well, then let's pray (or beg him)... ;)

Yours,

tu

• It is actually so easy to achieve that, in fact, in my personal installation I have my roms, bios and saves folders in an external HDD.
    When playing a game enter retroarch menu (or launch it directly from kodi) then in settings menu search for the "directories" option, there you can set the folder you want for every retroarch stuff.

oops .. i forgot to look there

still would be a nice 'noob' option to have in the Add-on config ... but i understand

Thanks

• only things you should backup are (it is not necesary because installation won't overwrite them, but just in case):
    - /storage/.config/advancedlauncher/launchers.xml -> if you added/edit advanced launchher game/emulator lists
    - /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_systems.xml -> if you added/edit emualtionstation game/emulator lists
    - /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg -> If you edited some retroarch configurations

Also, if you want, you can make a SD image using UWB Image Tools, and in case something goes wrong you can restore your whole system...

please tell us your feedback after updating.

do i have to uninstall the addon first?

does gs support nds games?

• Hi, this add_on seems great but I have an issue with sound.

It is out put through the headphone jack but not the hdmi and I can't seem to find the option to change the device.

Can you help me?

Pi 3 and openelec (up to date)

Thanks.

Edited once, last by Mark (July 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM).

• Hi, this add_on seems great but I have an issue with sound.

It is out put through the headphone jack but not the hdmi and I can't seem to find the option to change the device.

Can you help me?

Pi 3 and openelec (up to date)

Thanks.

connect by ssh and try editing boot config:

Code
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    nano /flash/config.txt

and change/add these parameters:

Code
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16

Are you connecting any USB device to the pi?

also, when in a game connect to ssh and write:

Code
    aplay -l

there you can find out if something is wrong with audio_device and then you can edit retroarch.cfg with that value.

FInally I recommend to update your system to LibreELEC 7, its so easy, and for some user it solved his audio issues...

• Hey bite_your_idols (or anybody else in the know)...

Anybody know why my SNES emulation using SNES9x-Next suddenly started running at warp speed? I've lost all audio, and the frame rate is up around 90 fps. I checked my settings, even the core config files, but can't find anything that would fix it. I don't have a keyboard attached to my Pi, but I even tried connecting one just to see if I could toggle the FAST FORWARD (spacebar) and it didn't help. Anybody got any clues? It's driving me nuts! Now I can't play any SNES Games!

Related - SNES9x-Next seems to be the only core I can actually get to run. The regular SNES9x core just shows a black screen. I play for RetroAchievements, so those other cores are out because the don't support it. Anybody got some TLC for me?

• Hi,

I'm a first time LibreElec user, been familiar with Kodi for quite some time before. I actually like this project, kudos to the creator, however I am facing some struggling issues.

I have some old DOS games, like Wolfestein 3D, Karateka, Carmen... I want to play them but I can't for the life of me make them run with the DOSbox core in RetroArch. Both RetroArch and EmulationStation fails to recognize the DOS games, when I try to run them through Launch Content in RetroArch, it goes to a black screen and then sends me back to Kodi main screen.

What am I doing wrong? What are the steps needed to make the DosBox core run and play my games? Is there any tutorial for it?

I can play fine some old Atari, NES and Mega Drive roms though. It's just DosBox that is letting me down.

all the games runs fine with OpenEmu on my macbook, and the DOS games are fine with the Boxer mac app.

thanks in advance!

• Hey bite_your_idols (or anybody else in the know)...

Anybody know why my SNES emulation using SNES9x-Next suddenly started running at warp speed? I've lost all audio, and the frame rate is up around 90 fps. I checked my settings, even the core config files, but can't find anything that would fix it. I don't have a keyboard attached to my Pi, but I even tried connecting one just to see if I could toggle the FAST FORWARD (spacebar) and it didn't help. Anybody got any clues? It's driving me nuts! Now I can't play any SNES Games!

Related - SNES9x-Next seems to be the only core I can actually get to run. The regular SNES9x core just shows a black screen. I play for RetroAchievements, so those other cores are out because the don't support it. Anybody got some TLC for me?

First thing I would try is replacing retroarch.cfg file with default one, to see if some settings have changed. Also replacing libretro core file with the default one from my installation, just in case it has been updated.

Quote from  'bfcastello' pid='6824' dateline='1469157501'

Hi, I'm a first time LibreElec user, been familiar with Kodi for quite some time before. I actually like this project, kudos to the creator, however I am facing some struggling issues. I have some old DOS games, like Wolfestein 3D, Karateka, Carmen... I want to play them but I can't for the life of me make them run with the DOSbox core in RetroArch. Both RetroArch and EmulationStation fails to recognize the DOS games, when I try to run them through Launch Content in RetroArch, it goes to a black screen and then sends me back to Kodi main screen. What am I doing wrong? What are the steps needed to make the DosBox core run and play my games? Is there any tutorial for it? I can play fine some old Atari, NES and Mega Drive roms though. It's just DosBox that is letting me down. all the games runs fine with OpenEmu on my macbook, and the DOS games are fine with the Boxer mac app. thanks in advance!

I see retropie is not using libretro core for dosbox, so I think it is an experimental or work-in-progress core.
    I don't know how it works but you can google "dosbox lakka" or "dosbox retroarch" and see if you can find any help... Sorry...

• Thanks, that did it. I updated to libreelec and sound works with your boot settings. No need to edit ra.cfg at all.

Edited once, last by Mark (July 22, 2016 at 11:45 AM).

• My DS3 Controller now finally works.
    Just bought another BT Dongle.
    Must have something to do with the drivers or such. The old Dongle works fine on my Windows PC with a DS3 Controller ^^

• Thanks, that did it. I updated to libreelec and sound works with your boot settings. No need to edit ra.cfg at all.

My DS3 Controller now finally works.
    Just bought another BT Dongle.
    Must have something to do with the drivers or such. The old Dongle works fine on my Windows PC with a DS3 Controller ^^

i am glad to hear that!

• Amazing work! Thank you!

For WAF factor I try to use emulation station. After scanning 2500+ items last night and then rebooting this morning my PI2 seems to reboot anytime I try to use ES when using this plugin. If I switch to RetroArch in Settings it does not reboot and shows me the retroarch interface. The retroarch interface is not all that great for my girlfriend. How can I troubleshoot ES?

Taking a stab.... Last lines of log file:

lvl2: Parsing XML file "/storage/.config/emulationstation/gamelists/ports/gamelist.xml"...
    lvl2: req sound [detailed.launch]
    lvl2: (missing)

First lines indicate window made successfully but I never do see the ES window appear.

At this point I have uninstalled both game launcher and hacklib and reinstalled gamelauncher from local zip file. Settings seem to stay so I am guessing config files stay in place and do not get rewritten if reinstalling?

** EDIT It helps to reboot inbetween attempts of reinstall. I have this working now.

Is there an easy way to map start+select to work as escape key for exiting of emulation station back to Kodi?

Thank you
    Quotaholic

Edited once, last by quotaholic (July 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM).

• I can remember there is a compatibility issue between emulationstation and hacklib (for gamemaker ports), so in case you have installed gamemker ports and hacklib, please make sure you deactivate the hacklib (launching the addon and checking there is no lib file in /storage/lib) before launching Emulationstation.

If this has no success, you can rename your gamelist.xml and try to launch again to check if it is some error during writing that file.

By the way, all configs for Emulationstation, retroarch and advancedlauncher are located in /storage/.config/ (you need to enable hidden files and folders in kodi settings)

• Hi thanks for this nice addon,

I have installed everything according to online howto. But i cant start retroarch; entering the following:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch -c /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg --menu

gives out:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

using putty shows there is indeed no such directory

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons # ls
    advanced-launcher-2.5.8          metadata.themoviedb.org
    metadata.album.universal         metadata.tvdb.com
    metadata.artists.universal       packages
    metadata.common.imdb.com         script.gamestarter
    metadata.common.musicbrainz.org

Then i tried using EmulationStation (ES). ES started and i could use my DualShock3 and copied super mario bros3 to roms directory. I could navigate to nes but couldnt start the game although it is shown in the menu :( . Any suggestion what went wrong. I reinstalled the addon for three times, even reseting the whole system didnt help. I am using the latest libreelec 7.02. (Linux: Kernel 4.4.13)on Raspberry Pi2.

Edited once, last by daroox (July 24, 2016 at 5:34 PM).

• Hi thanks for this nice addon,

I have installed everything according to online howto. But i cant start retroarch; entering the following:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch -c /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg --menu

gives out:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

using putty shows there is indeed no such directory

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons # ls
    advanced-launcher-2.5.8          metadata.themoviedb.org
    metadata.album.universal         metadata.tvdb.com
    metadata.artists.universal       packages
    metadata.common.imdb.com         script.gamestarter
    metadata.common.musicbrainz.org

Then i tried using EmulationStation (ES). ES started and i could use my DualShock3 and under nes see the game super mario bros3 but couldnt start it . Any suggestion what went wrong. I tried this for three times, even reseting the whole system didnt help. I am using the latest libreelec 7.02. (Linux: Kernel 4.4.13)on Raspberry Pi2.

did you download the correct addon verision (OLE not LE8alpha) ?

• I see retropie is not using libretro core for dosbox, so I think it is an experimental or work-in-progress core.
    I don't know how it works but you can google "dosbox lakka" or "dosbox retroarch" and see if you can find any help... Sorry...

Thanks for the input, although I am not using RetroPie (never used), I will do a search on google again to see if I can find something. Is there any alternative to play DOS games with my Pi3? I wanted to keep everything tidy and organized with Kodi and my video/movies library.