Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Just to update...if i install both ES and RA on a clean install...download all cores from RA settings without opening the addon then ES works...but when I open RA it's not working properly...the logos are black boxes and it s not responding

I think you are missing retroarch assets, they are copied into the right place after first RA addon launch. Also you can update/download them within RetroArch>settings>online updater

• we are missing something...

let's see, we are going to try it again following these steps, but before clean your ES and RA userdata folders (you can just rename them)

First, you download latest addons from repo. After addon installation you go to RA addon settings and download full core package. Then you launch retroarch and launch a rom (Adventure Island (USA).zip) wit a core (fceumm). That works, right?

Then you exit retroarch, and delete all logs. Ok, now you launch ES addon and it works, it shows the gamelist of your systems. Select the same rom (Adventure Island (USA).zip) and you get a black screen and ES comes back, right? Post me those logs.

did you try with another rom? maybe unziped. Did you try another console emulator?

Im your logs I can see this error:

Code
    [INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames.

But I have no idea what can it means... do you use any overclock settings? maybe google can help us...

• Thanks I tryed all of those..besides unzipped roms...gonna try that...and no overclock while trying ES...was a fresh install...and is happenening exactly as you described...the only time that a rom worked on ES was on a fresh install which RO was never opened only used for downloading cores....once I open RP...es fails...

• Hi Guys,

after a while i found time to tryout v3.0 of the gamestarter.

I am using Libreelec 9 Alpha/Milhouse Builds as before (with the gamestarter <3.0)

So. here is the deal. there is no libass.so.5** @ Librelec 9 anymore (they're on libass.so.9**. so the linked libass.so.5 isn't available for me.

in Gamestarter versions <3.0 it was simple enough just to copy over the libass.so.5 and libass.so.5.3.3 files you found in Milhouse builds pre #523 into the retroarch resource/libs folder.

this isn't working anymore afaics.

here a little howto what you can do facing the same issue:

1) download the latest Milhouse Build tar file manually from his repo/form thread (-> LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0) )

get also one of the older builds (pre #523 as far as i remember)

2) put both on your linux box (you can simply use the Linux Subsystem for Windows if you're on windows 10. make sure you got the squashfs-tools installed on your linux!)

3) unpack bot tar archives

4) change into the target subfolders of each unpacked tar folder (the one with the SYSTEM squashfs file in it)

5) -> unsquashfs SYSTEM

a squash-rootfs folder will be created.

6) change into that folder and go into usr/lib of the older version.

7) now just copy over the libass.so.5 /libass.so.5.3.3 (not the plain libass.so!) from the older version into the newer versions usr/lib folder.

8) afterwards go to the newer versions target folder

9) delete the old SYSTEM file in there then

10) -> mksquashfs squash-rootfs SYSTEM

11)-> md5sum SYSTEM > SYSTEM.md5

12) delete the squash-rootfs

13) change to the root folder where your tar files where unpacked

14) repack the tar of the newer version with your customized version of the folder structure

15)upload onto your PIs Update SMB Share or place it into /storage/.update via SSH/SCP

16) reboot.

17) let your PI be updated.

afterwards the retroarch/gamestarter stuff is working again.

Sure. LibreElec 9 is alpha. I guess it's not at all supported by gamestarter and for sure

the work-a-round is pretty dirty.

but it works. and i can keep my Alpha build.

Before you ask. I need it to have my AmazonPrime stuff working via InputStream Plugins :)

Cheers!

Int.

• Silly me....wanna eat my Rpi...and the problem was.......zips...ES is not openening the zip roms...sorry for loosing your time and thanks for your help

• Ok so next problem is no audio when on games...kodi audio is fine...

aplay -l

/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data$ aplay -L

null

Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

default:CARD=ALSA

bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA

Default Audio Device

sysdefault:CARD=ALSA

bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA

Default Audio Device

/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data$ aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]

Subdevices: 7/8

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Subdevice #3: subdevice #3

Subdevice #4: subdevice #4

Subdevice #5: subdevice #5

Subdevice #6: subdevice #6

Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

tryed hw:0,0

hw:0,1

hw0,2

still nothing

Edited once, last by Mario77 (September 25, 2017 at 12:35 AM).

• If you use a RPi, did you try just downloading this zip and unzipping it into /storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/lib/ folder? i worked for me in a couple of weeks ago build... But, everytime you update RA addon you need to copy it again.

• chechk your config.txt to confirm this line is present:

Code
    dtparam=audio=on

also you can force HDMI out with these parameters:

Code
    hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16

You can take a look to these previous issues:

Issues · bite-your-idols/Gamestarter · GitHub

• it is strange, for me ES launches zipped games just as retroarch does...

Was trying some Nes and snes roms and they werent working from zip...

The sound issue is solved too...I just went to settings-audio-driver and changed it from alsa to sdl and restarted rpi..then ran RA and set it back to alsa and was recognized straight away

• Why is my ES not showing .fds roms?I tryed to rename folder to fds and famicom but still nothing

famicon and nes systems are joined in a unique folder called nes as you can see here. If you want to separate them you need to edit that file (/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg) and duplicate that system block.

• If you use a RPi, did you try just downloading this zip and unzipping it into /storage/.kodi/addons/game.retroarch/lib/ folder? i worked for me in a couple of weeks ago build... But, everytime you update RA addon you need to copy it again.

Hi again,

thats basically what i did before. with v3 there is no lib folder anymore. but let me try with next Alpha update if it is working if it's just created :)

• Hi again,

thats basically what i did before. with v3 there is no lib folder anymore. but let me try with next Alpha update if it is working if it's just created :)

sure, you can create it and it should work.

By the way, what controller are you using in LE 9 alpha builds? I started using those builds, because of netflix addon, but in some point in may dualshock controllers started working in a weird way, so they can not be used in retroarch... I reported that bug in kodi forums but there is no solution until now... That's why I turned back to LE8 and I use my PS4 for netflix, HBO & amazon prime.