MariaDB connector update forces SSL

• Running my library on MariaDB 10 on a QNAP

Updated from RPI5 13 5/30 nightly to 6/7 and lost access to the library.

Logs show the updated connector is FORCING ssl/tls requirements.

Is there a way to bypass ssl to access my library?

Reverting back to 5/30 nightly works so thinking it's the recent connector update.

• Can you confirm it forces ssl or forces ssl verification?

these are the changes

Comparing v3.3.10...v3.4.0 · mariadb-corporation/mariadb-connector-c
    MariaDB Connector/C is used to connect applications developed in C/C++ to MariaDB and MySQL databases.The client library is LGPL licensed. - Comparing…
    github.com

and this one is the force ssl verification.

Here are the ssl stuff from mariadb and there seems to be some require per user. Without seeing the logs I could not comment further. But is your connection running ssl (and just without the verify?) and it fails with the connector 3.4 (due to the verify) - the comments should be pretty useful in isolating this.

Securing Connections for Client and Server
    Enabling TLS encryption in transit on both the client and server.
    mariadb.com
  • Code
    2024-06-07 13:06:32.447 T:2769    error <general>: Unable to open database: MyMusic83 [2026](TLS/SSL error: SSL is required, but the server does not support it)
  • Looks like this works:

• It looks like the client has changed the “failure logic”

[MDEV-28634] Client's --ssl-* options (without --ssl-verify-server-cert) are silently ignored if TLS is not possible - Jira
    >> The client will only see an error if they also provide the --ssl-verify-server-cert option:<<

I believe the correct fix would be to set sslMode=disabled in the connection from Kodi - as in https://mariadb.com/kb/en/using-tl…java-connector/ (will be the same with c connector I believe)
    By default when sslMode is set (not disabled), connector will use "serverSslCert" is set or the default truststore if not. Using default truststore can be disable setting option "fallbackToSystemTrustStore" to false.

• Looks like this works:

Thanks for testing vpeter - for the time being (as this needs a Kodi change) this will need to be the workaround.

• Sorry I had a personal issue.

when I first upgraded it didn't work. Without troubleshooting I swapped back to 5/30 but still wasn't able to connect.

Log showed too many attempts.

Restarted SQL confirmed library working. Swapped to 6/7 and then those logs referenced SSL requirements.

I updated Kodi on FireTV with apk direct from Kodi and library stopped working.

So seems the issue stems from base newer base Kodi updates.

• Sorry to beat a dead horse libreelec works flawless.

I see the request made on git and have also posted Kodi forums

Building Kodi (Omega) with mariadb-connector-c 3.4 does not allow connection to non-ssl databases · Issue #25313 · xbmc/xbmc
    Bug report Describe the bug Here is a clear and concise description of what the problem is: With the change in mariadb-corporation/mariadb-connector-c@82983a3…
    github.com

Is there anyway to edit a conf to disable the SSL requirement in the interim? I know this might not be the best place to post the question since it's confirmed as a Kodi issue. However figured I'd ask in case it might be a simple line I could toss in or in comment.

Thanks again for fixing this originally.

• In LE we have fixed/worked around …. the connector change and the fact that 3.4 can only work with a verified ssl connection.

The below patch to Kodi “should” fix Kodi to alway “not verify” ssl (thus allowing non sls too). I have not submitted it upstream as I have not “fully tested it”.