Tanix TX6 LIbreelec 12.0.0 video stuttering problem

• I just installed Libreelec 12.0.0 on my Tanix TX6. Now, when I start a video in fullscreen mode, the video starts to stutter, and mixes images. I tried multiple videos and it seems that all videos have the same stuttering problem. When i switch on the OSD (for subtitles, fastforward etc) the stuttering disappears. Anyone a clue how to solve this issue? I didn't experience these issues in Libreelec 11.

• I think I solved the problem myself. I changed the Settings/Player/Videos PRIME Rendermethod from Direct to Plane to EGL, and the stuttering disappeared. Video works perfect now.

• Allwinner devices should be used in Direct-to-Plane mode, so you found an issue, but not the (correct) solution. Start with sharing a proper Kodi debug log playing something that shows the issue.

• This is what I found in the log:

And this one

Code
    CDVDVideoCodecDRMPRIME::ProcessFilterOut - buffersink get frame failed: Invalid argument (-22)

Edited once, last by hawantie (May 5, 2024 at 1:16 PM).

• Please post the entire debug log else you eliminate all the useful background technical info on your setup, and all the useful info on the media being played. Just run "pastekodi" and share the URL.

• If it helps I have a TX6 and I don't get this problem with direct to plane. I don't do 4k and most of my stuff is H265. I noticed a bit of wobble when osd was on but that's all. Trying an old fix with an advanced setting for dirty regions made full screen wobble a bit tho, so I'm not using it.

• I've also been able to reproduce this issue (and yes it's on H.264 files mainly).

Debug log here: https://paste.libreelec.tv/needed-herring.log

Test file in my case that causes the video stuttering is H.264 .mp4, 1920x1080, 23.98Hz, 10181kbps, it's basically unwatchable unfortunately. This is also a fresh install of LE 12 - no addons/default.

Code
    Error: EGL_BAD_SURFACE
    Command: eglSwapBuffers
    Type: EGL_DEBUG_MSG_ERROR_KHR

Edited 3 times, last by powerarmour (May 12, 2024 at 8:23 PM).

• I am experiencing a similar issue. However, h264 and h265 play perfectly fine. AV1 encoding is where the jitter starts. The audio plays fine (opus) but the video freezes every second or so, resulting in delayed video and normal audio. Changing to EGL made no difference.

Also on LE12, no aaddons, default theme. Just mounted NFSv4 shares and attempted playback. Are these issues related?

• I am experiencing a similar issue. However, h264 and h265 play perfectly fine. AV1 encoding is where the jitter starts.

It might just be bitrate related, generally the H6 doesn't do too well with high bitrate video (e.g. >120Mbps) but I definitely have a few test files that throw a shoe now on LE12 (which were okay on LE11). AV1 stuff obviously has no HW accelearation, so YMMV with those files.

• Hi all

I have a question about video play, I have encoded H265 movie and see colourbands, you see these also

when kodi starts in the blue part of screen, when I play the video (H264 encoded same bitrate) with the elvira xstreamer

than video is oke, when I install android in the box, (installed kodi also) it play also without these bands, are kind of ringform, it are artifacts.

I can try the older 9.2 versions but have not yet find one for the mxq pro 4k box RT32**, mine has RT3228a but says RT3229. The old amlogic who is broken because of a bad chip, did play also much cleaner then the rockchip box.

Is there a 9.2 version who can be installed through multitool like version 10 or 11, these do play well, but as say, artifacts, special dark parts of the movie.

regards

• powerarmour An obvious question: Is this media something you ripped, or is it "test media" that you downloaded from the Internet? .. because 9/10 "test" files are designed to stress/break decoders to find bugs. TL/DR; use real media not test media.

vaughng Allwinner H6 does not support hardware AV1 decoding so ffmpeg will fall back to software decode, and as AV1 is mostly used on large sized 4K media/streams the CPU will choke on the task.

• powerarmour An obvious question: Is this media something you ripped, or is it "test media" that you downloaded from the Internet? .. because 9/10 "test" files are designed to stress/break decoders to find bugs. TL/DR; use real media not test media.

Normally I'll use test files from here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

But this particular one was an encode of the title loop from the Avatar Blu-ray disc (using Handbrake), and yes that's precisely what I use it for. It 'should' play fine on any modern media player though. (this is a file that plays fine on an RPi3 running LE12 for example)

Edited once, last by powerarmour (May 13, 2024 at 2:30 PM).

• powerarmour  chewitt Ah okay thank you! I read AV1 but my mind did not register "that fancy new codec". I guess I cannot replicate OPs issue. Just enabled debugging and indeed the CPU is severely choked (all 90%+ with CPU-KODI at ~350% LOL). Will have to pull the handbrake on AV1 I guess (pun definitely intended).

• powerarmour  chewitt Ah okay thank you! I read AV1 but my mind did not register "that fancy new codec". I guess I cannot replicate OPs issue.

I can only replicate it with that particular file, all other VP9 and H.265 seems to play as normal (but with the added bonus of 10-bit colour in LE12), a 10Mbps H.264 file shouldn't stutter, but it is what it is.