Menu selecting really, really, really, really, (etc) slow

• I tried turning off every add-on I reasonably could and it's much better now. There's still a longer delay than I'd like from when selecting a directory to when it appears, but it's a good 5+ minutes faster now.
    The downside is that none of the TV stuff works now after I disabled it all.
    So just go through each add-on until something starts playing up?

• It might be worthwhile reinstalling LE at this stage. Sounds like some form of corruption on your system. Take note of your list of add ons currently installed and install them one by one checking performance of each on a fresh installation.

• Do you happen to have "adjust display refresh rate" turned on with nothing whitelisted? I would turn that off and see what happens, then you can go back and set it up properly.

2023-10-29 15:36:41.001 T:1119 DEBUG <general>: OnAVChange: CApplication::OnAVChange

2023-10-29 15:36:41.635 T:1172 WARNING <general>: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for configure

2023-10-29 15:36:41.636 T:1172 ERROR <general>: OutputPicture - failed to configure renderer

2023-10-29 15:36:41.653 T:1172 DEBUG <general>: CRenderManager::Configure - change configuration. 640x480. display: 640x480. framerate: 29.97.

2023-10-29 15:36:45.639 T:1170 DEBUG <general>: CVideoPlayer::SetCaching - caching state 0

2023-10-29 15:36:45.639 T:1170 DEBUG <general>: CDVDClock::SetSpeedAdjust - adjusted:0.000000

2023-10-29 15:36:46.653 T:1172 WARNING <general>: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for state

2023-10-29 15:36:46.653 T:1172 ERROR <general>: OutputPicture - failed to configure renderer

• Okay I tried that. I'm not 100% sure what that add-on is so I disabled all the tvheadend stuff.

http://ix.io/4Kdp

Thanks. The Oz Weather add-on also generates a lot of traffic and errors:

Code
    2023-10-29 15:35:58.923 T:1144    DEBUG <general>: ### Oz Weather 2.0.9 - Failed to retrieve radar background image: ftp://anonymous:someone%[email protected]//anon/gen/radar_transparencies/IDE00035.background.png, exception: <urlopen error ftp error: URLError("ftp error: error_perm('550 Failed to change directory.')")>

Uninstall or disable that add-on. If that doesn't make a difference, I suggest to install LE from scratch.

• Yep looks like a fresh install time. It's much faster but still painfully slow navigating through the menus at times.
    Does the number of files in each directory matter much? The slowest one has the largest number of videos in it.

• There's two HDD's, one 6 tb and an 8 tb. They are just average drives, so probably plenty fast enough I'd guess.

There can be a huge performance difference between proper NAS drives in a RAID config where you typically use a larger number of smaller drives to achieve capacity and access performance vs. "JBOD" configs with drives optimised for cost/density: often a single huge platter and not the 3-4 platters of a few years ago. Navigating a filesystem with a large number of inodes (files and sub-directories) results in lots of small file read/write access which is often the opposite of the large file read/write "backups" access profile that cheaper drives are designed for, so it's not uncommon for playback (of a single large file) to be no issue but navigation to be slower.

Are you using library views (Movies/TVShows) or the non-Library (Videos) views to browse media? - If using a library, how many sources are used for each media type? - and are you using default sqlite or MariaDB to host the database?

• I don't know what most of that is sorry.
    It's just a couple of hard drives on this PC, with the appropriate folders shared to the LE box. Been using it that way for years.

It Just gradually slows down to a very painful crawl after a while and I was hoping there was a simple fix.

Something could be wrong with Samba, or an HDD has errors.

• Kodi has some Samba tweaks. Create an advancedsettings.xml file for that.
    • Check your network drives for errors.

I'll see if I can work out how to do that, ta.

Edited once, last by Billzilla: Merged a post created by Billzilla into this post. (November 2, 2023 at 5:14 AM).

• D'oh!
    I thought I'd done that - sorry!

I managed to create that xml file in the right directory then rebooted the box. Just tried it, it seems okay but I'll have to give it a few days to make sure.

Many thanks for the help so far!