LibreELEC support for Raspberry Pi 5

• No. Don't turn it off, you need to reboot the RPi4 so the update gets installed.

If that was successful LE won't boot any longer on RPi4 but should work fine on the RPi5.

If you turn it off without installing the update it won't boot on RPi5 (as it's still using the RPi4 installation) and thus the RPi5 update will never get installed.

so long,

Hias

• No. Don't turn it off, you need to reboot the RPi4 so the update gets installed.

If that was successful LE won't boot any longer on RPi4 but should work fine on the RPi5.

If you turn it off without installing the update it won't boot on RPi5 (as it's still using the RPi4 installation) and thus the RPi5 update will never get installed.

so long,

Hias

Hias, thank you very much!

I will give a feedback :)

• So I read this thread with interest, as I'm currently running LE 9.2 (upgraded to 9.2.8) on an RPi3, and would like to switch to something capable of supporting 4K output. My LE install is only used as a Kodi client; my content (all 1080p h264) is on a NAS connected via 1Gbps wired ethernet. I have no USB peripherals connected to LE.

I'd prefer to stay with RPi because of the ecosystem, so the "obvious" choice is the new RPi5 4GB. But does it have any practical advantage over the cheaper RPi4 2GB? Looks like both can support all my current media, and will run LE11 and (likely) upcoming LE12. Both appear to support 4k HVEC content, as and when I acquire some.

In short, is there a compelling reason to go with RPi5 rather than RPi4?

• In short, is there a compelling reason to go with RPi5 rather than RPi4?

Speed and CPU grunt. Menus and screens are noticeably 'faster' and the extra CPU grunt broadens the selection of media that the board can CPU decode with ease. The 4GB RAM size isn't really required for LE but the 2GB variant isn't being produced yet. If you're on a tight budget an RPi4 will check all the immediate boxes and be a nince update on RPi3. If there's a little more room in the slush fund I'd still go RPi5 tho.

• It's a tough choice.

Yes, RPi5 feels definitely snappier and has a lot more grunt but it also needs more power (esp. with H264 media which needs to be software decoded) so it will get hotter. We still have to see how that works out in practice with people putting the RPi5 in a case. I suspect the fan will kick in quite often.

Availability is another issue in the next couple of months, RPi4 is on stock everywhere but I don't expect the RPi5 to be broadly available until spring next year (eg mouser currently says the'll have about one thousand RPi5 4GB models - which is next to nothing - available end of January).

so long,

Hias

• Thank you - useful insights. Hias' comments about heat levels due to software decoding of h264 media sealed the deal. All my content is in that format, and I hate the sound of fans, so I think it makes sense to go for a RPi4 - they're available now off the shelf, power/heat is going to be less, it's handily cheaper and it's still going to be a good step up from the RPi3.

I can always move up to a RPi5 when they bring out the 2GB version, and repurpose the RPi4 at that stage.

• Well... I currently run Libreelec from an 8 years old Raspberry pi 2. It still works fine, but I wanted to update (speed, 4K etc), and the RPi 5 seemed a great choice when it came out (+ I'm still a great fan of RPi !)

But then I read the comments on N100 mini PC, and I have to admit that, in my situation, I agree N100 seems a better choice than RPi 5...

A RPi 5 will need flirc case or similar to be fanless (fanless is a must for me), then Wifi with flirc case is not so good, then av1 4K will not work, then new PSU is needed, then if you want ssd you still have to buy device+ssd... So total is around 150 euros... And RPi 5 needs to be available (which will be difficult)...

On the other side, the N100 mini pc comes with PSU, is OK with av1 4K, has wifi + ssd well integrated, and has a lot more power so it can really be used as office pc (+ YouTube 4K stream etc)... For basically also 150 euros, and is fully available... The only probem I found was to have it fanless... But this problem is solved here with fanless design which will be robust (lots of aluminium fin/blade + good results in previous version tested)

KUBB Mini 8x8cm Fanless Mini PC
    The World's Smallest Fanless Computer Based on Intel® N100 | Check out 'KUBB Mini 8x8cm Fanless Mini PC' on Indiegogo.
    www.indiegogo.com

So... I'll try this N100 fanless adventure, for 235 euros... It's more than 150 euros on RPi 5, but not so much (especially if it lasts 8 years also)... And the N100 is more future proof...

Good luck with the RPi 5 ! I'm still fan, i hope it will be a success... But for media center, the N100 alternatives are quite competitive!

• So... I'll try this N100 fanless adventure, for 235 euros... It's more than 150 euros on RPi 5, but not so much (especially if it lasts 8 years also)... And the N100 is more future proof...

Estimated shipping in December 2023 as long as they accumulate enough backers. Dates on Indiegogo are often a little optimistic so good luck with the purchase :)

• My RPi 5 with the official active cooler hardly ever spins up the fan. I mainly play 1080p h264 and some interlaced vids. Even when the fan spins up it's inaudible, only at initial boot does it make a noise. I don't use the RPi 5 fulltime (RPi 4 for that) but so far on LE12 it's played videos flawlessly, i.e. no detected stutter.

• Well... I currently run Libreelec from an 8 years old Raspberry pi 2. It still works fine, but I wanted to update (speed, 4K etc), and the RPi 5 seemed a great choice when it came out (+ I'm still a great fan of RPi !)

But then I read the comments on N100 mini PC, and I have to admit that, in my situation, I agree N100 seems a better choice than RPi 5...

Plenty of fanless celeron based mini pcs on the market and you seem to agree on promoting one specific vendor and model.

• Actually, this kubb N100 is indeed the best model I found, for my need :

- CPU : N100 is last generation, node 10 nm, only with efficient cores, GPU with lowest clock rate (750 MHz), av1 4K, lowest TDP of alder lake family => lowest consumption, low price, perfect for media center

- I didn't investigate previous / older celeron alternatives... I don't see the point giving all N100 qualities (N100 that I discovered reading comments at RPi5 launching)... But if Celeron are equivalents, then OK the logic is the same!

- Bonus: N100 (Celeron also?) are tested and ok for office PC. RPi isn't as good (I think it's not RPi purpose... But office PC with RPi is advertised by RPi foundation...)

- I want fanless design, WELL engineered. I didn't find many N100 fanless. Some are only with basic aluminium sheet on top (Maxtang NX-N100 : users said it does the job but top can get really hot ; AC8-N100 seems ok but heatsink is closed inside plastic....).... Whereas the Kubb N100 has lots of long aluminium fins, which is the good way to do. This design has been tested with great success in Kubb previous generation (But, my god, 800 euros !!....) (test in french, conclusion here : ) (https://www.comptoir-hardware.com/actus/boitiers…on.html?start=3)

- the kubb n100 look is ok in a living room. I saw some other pc, but look are not appropriated (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/100500599…ayAdapt=glo2fra)

- My feeling is that warranty is safer with Kubb than noname Chinese options. It's french assembler firm, well known... Even if problems are still possible...

- the kubb n100 price is ok. 235 euros is clearly not the cheapest, but fair enough given the qualities. What I understand is that Indiegogo campaign will succeed even if goal is not reached... But if not, I'll try something else with compromise to do (and RPi5 can still be considered)...

Well, my goal is not doing advertisement... And I have no link with this company... But my need is probably the same than many people in this forum: media center, fanless, future proof, tiny, good price, low consumption, fast enough.... And so, I think this Indiegogo campaign is a good opportunity to know...

But if other equivalent solutions do exist, it's good news, I'd like to see these in case the campaign would not work...

so long,

Hias

HiassofT

Today i got my Pi 5 - this works perfectly. But you have to disable your boost settings from PI 4 ;)

Hope for LE 11 release for the Pi 5.

Thanks!

• I saw that ffmpeg 6.1 has now the functionality to decode av1 using Vulkan... And I wonder if it would work well with RPi 5, especially with av1 4K ?

Indeed, RPi 5 GPU performance are greatly improved compared to RPi 4... And Vulkan drivers are (will be ?) available thanks to Igalia work.

I assume that av1 is currently decoded on RPi 5 using dav1d (CPU decoding, works well on av1 full HD) => if possible, it would be great to have decoding performance comparison on RPi 5 between dav1d and Vulkan for av1 full HD and especially 4K (at different bitrates)...

If anyone can perform such tests, it would be very interesting!

• ffmpeg 6.1 added support for the vulkan video decode api which is a different thing than vulkan graphics/3D support (RPis only come with the latter) - so AV1 decoding will still need to be handled by dav1d.

so long,

Hias

• Zobi - Does the n100 have HDMI-CEC support?... that would be a deal breaker for me...

N100 is CPU. Not motherboard where all the HDMI logic would be with integrated video. Next you will ask ad troll, if your car radio complies with CO2 emission standards.

On a thread about ARM based low power device some decided to promote latest gen Intel products that are overkill for Libreelec requirements.

Edited 3 times, last by tokul (November 15, 2023 at 4:01 AM).

• Hi - I am a bit lost reading threads and internet pages to try and work out if it is possible to install Kodi onto a Raspberry Pi 5? There is not a downloads option for this - so does this mean we have to use the version for RPI4 or is it a case of waiting for a V5 release?

Thank you for any comments.