Pi4 + Argon One Case - 2023 working fan control?

• Hi there,

I don't even think I need it as the passive cooling with the Argon One is so good.... But does anyone have an idiots foolproof guide to getting fan control working with LibreELEC in 2023?

Theres a mix of info about bodged modified scripts, a build your own daemon and various things out there..... But nothing clear and easy.

Anyone care to share?

• Code
    git clone https://gitlab.com/DarkElvenAngel/argononed.git
    ./install

# create and copy package for LibreELEC
    make mrproper
    TARGET_DISTRO=libreelec ./package.sh
    scp build/libreelec.pkg.sh mylibreelec:
  • Built for libreelec, installed.... Wont start.

LibreELEC:~ # ./libreelec.pkg.sh

INFO: ArgonOne Daemon self extracting installer

INFO: Checking installer ... OK

INFO: Starting installer

INFO: Verify package list ... FOUND!

INFO: Extracting files ... OK

INFO: Verify contents ...OK

INFO: Installing

search /flash/config.txt for overlay ... FOUND

Job for argononed.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status argononed.service" and "journalctl -xeu argononed.service" for details.

Oct 04 14:26:27 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Starting argononed.service...

Oct 04 14:26:27 LibreELEC (rgononed)[1017]: argononed.service: Failed to execute /storage/sbin/argononed: Exec format error

Oct 04 14:26:27 LibreELEC (rgononed)[1017]: argononed.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /storage/sbin/argononed: Exec format error

× argononed.service - Argon One Fan and Button Daemon Service

Loaded: loaded (/storage/.config/system.d/argononed.service; enabled; preset: disabled)

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2023-10-04 14:29:57 BST; 49s ago

Process: 1242 ExecStart=/storage/sbin/argononed (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

CPU: 1ms

Oct 04 14:29:57 LibreELEC systemd[1]: argononed.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.

Oct 04 14:29:57 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Stopped argononed.service.

Oct 04 14:29:57 LibreELEC systemd[1]: argononed.service: Start request repeated too quickly.

Oct 04 14:29:57 LibreELEC systemd[1]: argononed.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Oct 04 14:29:57 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Failed to start argononed.service.

Edited 2 times, last by tomstephens89: Merged a post created by tomstephens89 into this post. (October 4, 2023 at 2:32 PM).

• Failed at step EXEC spawning /storage/sbin/argononed: Exec format error

You've probably built it on x64 workstation.

Their build system doesn't support cross-compiling, you have to build it on RPi4 running either PiOS or Ubuntu, 32bit because LibreElec still only supports 32bit userspace programs.

[Question] Is it prossible to cross-compile? How? (#21) · Issues · DarkElvenAngel / Argon One Daemon · GitLab
    Like the title says, I want to be able to cross-compile for one of the supported OSes without building inside the target OS itself. For example...
    gitlab.com
  • Make your own script...do you know which gpio is this fan using for control?

Ok I see looks like the board is controlling the speed and is a 2 wired fan..sorry not sure then...if it was mine I would just disconnect fan from argon board and add a transistor and connect directly to gpios

Edited once, last by Mario77 (October 4, 2023 at 9:16 PM).

• I don't even think I need it as the passive cooling with the Argon One is so good...

Generally yes, you don't really need fan with this case, unless you load your RPi4 CPU to 100% for hours, which is unlikely in case of typical LibreElec box.

My rather heavily loaded (load average: 1.71, 1.22, 1.04) RPi4 running Frigate NVR in docker goes higher than 55C, and I've set fan curve to start at 65C. Such little fan is annoying too, so you'd better keep it off unless really needed.

But there is another reason to install and configure argoned: it correctly sets up Argon internal microcontroller/PMIC, which allows you to completely power off RPi4 resulting like ~0W power usage, and the turn it on using either infrared remote or power button.

• The fan in the Argon case is to noisy even at low speeds, i ditched mine and put on a Noctua 40 mm 5V connected to 3,3V GPIO, it spins all the time but its quiet and temp never goes over 40C.

• The fan in the Argon case is to noisy even at low speeds, i ditched mine and put on a Noctua 40 mm 5V connected to 3,3V GPIO, it spins all the time but its quiet and temp never goes over 40C.

Can you share details on the fan and your installation job?